Topics

moderated An accessible router

Marty Hutchings

My WIFI router has bit the dust.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a router with an accessible interface with JAWS?

David Csercsics

If you get any recommendations, ping me as well. Mine hasn't bit the dust just yet, but I don't think it's receiving firmware updates, and for some reason, my wifi has gotten silly. I have an iPhone 8 that drops connections very frequently, and I have to reboot the router daily or it bogs down pretty quick. I'm not sure if the iphone is the problem or the router, because other devices work fine on the thing, but it's puzzling.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Routers are accessible through their web interface.  Ask the technician who will help you set up your router to give you your router's web address.  The address might, for example, be 192.168.2.154, something like that.  Then you can access it as you would any web site and set up the router on your own if you need to.  Cheers!
On 4/15/2020 5:15 AM, Marty Hutchings wrote:

Gmail Jonas

The NETGEAR, Nighthawk R6400 is a nice one I use it and it’s good with

2.4 and 5 GHZ!

https://amzn.to/2Va3jse

And it’s about $ 100, with support for USB!

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 6:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: An accessible router

Hi.  Routers are accessible through their web interface.  Ask the technician who will help you set up your router to give you your router's web address.  The address might, for example, be 192.168.2.154, something like that.  Then you can access it as you would any web site and set up the router on your own if you need to.  Cheers!

Glenn / Lenny

Some are more accessible via the web interface more than others.
I currently use a Linksys Smart router, and it works best with Internet Explorer.
Even with that, although you can get to the links either with space bar, or enter key, they don't say "link", so you have to hope that you are entering on a link.
Listing links won't expose them as links.
But I am never the less able to configure it.
It is called "smart" because it can prioritize the devices based on type of usage, and you are supposed to drag an item up or down the list of devices, but I have never been able to make this work with a screenreader.
Other than that, I can set it up and save the configuration file and do updates and all the normal stuff with it.
It is both 2.4 and 5 GHZ, and has three antennas, 4 ports, and 2 USB ports.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 6:02 PM

netbat66

not entirely true.
i don't know how you would find outbefore you buy. but there have been a few routers that use a windows like interface that is mostly mouse driven.
and i don't know if they would work with screen readers.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:02 PM

Hi. Routers are accessible through their web interface. Ask the technician who will help you set up your router to give you your router's web address. The address might, for example, be 192.168.2.154, something like that. Then you can access it as you would any web site and set up the router on your own if you need to. Cheers!

Kevin Minor

Hi.

A month ago I purchased a Netgear combination router and cable modem. You can use your browser of choice to access it. Sounds like you just need a router with WI-FI in it. I’m quite pleased with what I have.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 5:15 PM
Subject: An accessible router

My WIFI router has bit the dust.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a router with an accessible interface with JAWS?

I am quite partial to the higher-end Netgear routers but also had an Asus one and a Cisco and I don’t think I had a router in the last 10 years which didn’t get accessed via a web interface and where I couldn’t use the interface.

Too bad you guys are I think all in the US, I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 triband router which I’d gladly sell for a good price, but shipping would probably be expensive.

I have switched to the Netgear Orbi mesh system both at home and, at my retail store I use the Orbi Pro/business version and this Nighthawk and my Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Router for which I paid over $300 Canadian are just sitting on a shelf.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:32 PM

Hi.

A month ago I purchased a Netgear combination router and cable modem. You can use your browser of choice to access it. Sounds like you just need a router with WI-FI in it. I’m quite pleased with what I have.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

Richard Turner

Most routers these days use a web interface.
We just bought a Lynksys router and the interface is quite accessible using Jaws.
And, the one issue we ran into was dealt with easily by calling their toll free support line.
I don't remember the model number off hand.

Richard

(Sent from my iPhone SE)

C

On Apr 14, 2020, at 5:55 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

I am quite partial to the higher-end Netgear routers but also had an Asus one and a Cisco and I don’t think I had a router in the last 10 years which didn’t get accessed via a web interface and where I couldn’t use the interface.

Too bad you guys are I think all in the US, I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 triband router which I’d gladly sell for a good price, but shipping would probably be expensive.

I have switched to the Netgear Orbi mesh system both at home and, at my retail store I use the Orbi Pro/business version and this Nighthawk and my Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Router for which I paid over $300 Canadian are just sitting on a shelf.

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

Tyler Wood

I have the google wireless nest mesh system which works, most likely, the best of any router I have ever owned, hardware wise

It’s fantastic if you happen to have a mobile device, however they do require the google WiFi app. The app itself provides everything in a fantastic and screen reader friendly area, however, and there isn’t an unlabeled button found.  However if your specific requirement is PC, unfortunately out of luck there, which is odd to me.

Hope that helps somewhat.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:56 PM

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

michaeel's mail

The thing i find annoying with any of the wifi modems i get lately the password is already turned on by default to access the modem settigs.

In the past it was blank now you need sighted help to read the password under the modem.

cheers Michael.

On 15/04/2020 11:28 am, Tyler Wood wrote:

I have the google wireless nest mesh system which works, most likely, the best of any router I have ever owned, hardware wise

It’s fantastic if you happen to have a mobile device, however they do require the google WiFi app. The app itself provides everything in a fantastic and screen reader friendly area, however, and there isn’t an unlabeled button found.  However if your specific requirement is PC, unfortunately out of luck there, which is odd to me.

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

Glenn / Lenny

I've never heard of that, unless it came from an ISP.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:26 PM

The thing i find annoying with any of the wifi modems i get lately the password is already turned on by default to access the modem settigs.

In the past it was blank now you need sighted help to read the password under the modem.

cheers Michael.

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

Marty Hutchings

I find that the Seeing AI ap is great for reading things like this.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13

The thing i find annoying with any of the wifi modems i get lately the password is already turned on by default to access the modem settings.

cheers Michael.

I have the Google wireless nest mesh system which works, most likely, the best of any router I have ever owned, hardware wise

It’s fantastic if you happen to have a mobile device, however they do require the Google Wifi app. The app itself provides everything in a fantastic and screen reader friendly area, however, and there isn’t an unlabeled button found.  However if your specific requirement is PC, unfortunately out of luck there, which is odd to me.

From: main@jfw.groups.io mailto:main@jfw.groups.io On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

The problem is that the modems most ISP’s provide and which are also WiFi routers have to have a password because a large majority of people would never set one and that would result in a huge liability if, for example, they end up connecting cameras in their house and then somebody could very easily access them via an unprotected network. A lot of these Internet of things devices are insecure enough as it is.

If you buy a router from one of the known brands such as Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, D-Link, Asus and so on there will be a default password which often is “password” or “admin” or something like thart.

If you don’t know the default password of your router but you know the brand you can simply Google something like “What is the default password for a Netgear router” and you’ll find the answer.

This of course means you absolutely have to change the password to something a lot more secure because if you can Google what the password is so can anybody else and the people who make it their business to hack into home networks probably don’t even have to Google it as they’ll know the default passwords of most brands by heart.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:33 PM

Glenn

cheers Michael.

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

Glenn / Lenny

Also, on an ISP's router/modem, you can usually log into your account on-line, like if you were going to pay your bill on-line, and you can get your router's password there.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:39 PM

The problem is that the modems most ISP’s provide and which are also WiFi routers have to have a password because a large majority of people would never set one and that would result in a huge liability if, for example, they end up connecting cameras in their house and then somebody could very easily access them via an unprotected network. A lot of these Internet of things devices are insecure enough as it is.

If you buy a router from one of the known brands such as Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, D-Link, Asus and so on there will be a default password which often is “password” or “admin” or something like thart.

If you don’t know the default password of your router but you know the brand you can simply Google something like “What is the default password for a Netgear router” and you’ll find the answer.

This of course means you absolutely have to change the password to something a lot more secure because if you can Google what the password is so can anybody else and the people who make it their business to hack into home networks probably don’t even have to Google it as they’ll know the default passwords of most brands by heart.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:33 PM

Glenn

cheers Michael.

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Marty, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio.  Netger and Asus routers are great, as long as you can access them from your browser, you’re in good shape!  There are some that can be accessed from the i-phone but I prefer windows access.  We had an eero router but it could only be accessed from the i-phone and it didn’t work with voiceover.  I’m on spectrum and I can access our combination modem/router from google chrome or firefox or internet explorer.  Have a blesse day!  Your bro!  BZ! 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings

michaeel's mail

Yes its from IInet its the second one llike that.

In the past they was just blank.

cheers Michael.

On 15/04/2020 12:33 pm, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

Glenn

cheers Michael.

Hi.

Kevin Jilly and Valerie

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:40 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
This of course means you absolutely have to change the password to something a lot more secure
Yep, and you need to understand there is a userid (often admin, and often cannot be changed) and password to log in to the router to allow you to configure all its settings, and that is not the same thing as the SSID/network name and password pair used to connect devices to the router via WiFi.

The passwords need to be something you can recall easily (or record) but that are also secure.  I have been suggesting what I call The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords for years now.  It allows an end user to create passwords that are easy for them to remember, but well-nigh impossible for any random passerby intent on getting in to your router as the administrator, or join your WiFi network, respectively, to guess.

Also, don't make your SSID/network name something that obviously links it to your physical location.  Although the days of drive-by attempts to connect to open networks is long gone, it still makes sense not to use a SSID/network name like 123Main if you live at 123 Main Street.   Pick something immediately identifiable by you, but not obvious to the outside world.  As an example, my partner is a big fan of Japanese maples, one of my former SSIDs/network names was acer-palmatum, the botanical name for Japanese maples.  

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Glenn / Lenny

Once I was looking for one in my car while eating lunch, and I found one called:
LickedHerSnatch
Yep, those days of open routers are long gone.
I've seen people who live on farms not password protect them, when their house is a ways back from the road.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:06 PM

This of course means you absolutely have to change the password to something a lot more secure
Yep, and you need to understand there is a userid (often admin, and often cannot be changed) and password to log in to the router to allow you to configure all its settings, and that is not the same thing as the SSID/network name and password pair used to connect devices to the router via WiFi.

The passwords need to be something you can recall easily (or record) but that are also secure.  I have been suggesting what I call The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords for years now.  It allows an end user to create passwords that are easy for them to remember, but well-nigh impossible for any random passerby intent on getting in to your router as the administrator, or join your WiFi network, respectively, to guess.

Also, don't make your SSID/network name something that obviously links it to your physical location.  Although the days of drive-by attempts to connect to open networks is long gone, it still makes sense not to use a SSID/network name like 123Main if you live at 123 Main Street.   Pick something immediately identifiable by you, but not obvious to the outside world.  As an example, my partner is a big fan of Japanese maples, one of my former SSIDs/network names was acer-palmatum, the botanical name for Japanese maples.  

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Curtis Delzer

and what is also interesting is that you can more than likely log onto your router by typing this at the run window.
http://192.168.0.1
and if you've not changed anything admin and password are usually the defaults.
Now, I bet none of you have that but that
http://192.168.0.1
will generally get you into your modem. or, 1.0 or 0.0, sometimes.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/14/2020 9:10 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

Once I was looking for one in my car while eating lunch, and I found one called:
LickedHerSnatch
Yep, those days of open routers are long gone.
I've seen people who live on farms not password protect them, when their house is a ways back from the road.
Glenn
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
*Sent:* Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:06 PM
*Subject:* Re: An accessible router
This of course means you absolutely have to change the password to
something a lot more secure
The passwords need to be something you can recall easily (or record) but that are also secure.  I have been suggesting what I call The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1KxGgYF6qBMfvMg40XEgFUdGj6NZn4wLZ> for years now.  It allows an end user to create passwords that are easy for them to remember, but well-nigh impossible for any random passerby intent on getting in to your router as the administrator, or join your WiFi network, respectively, to guess.
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them./*
~ Joshua Liebman