moderated Searching in windows 10

brian albriton

I hate to begin a message with i'm used to windows 7 but there it is.. Now, when searching how can I search cr emails and documents as a for instance? All the best Brian

If you're asking whether the Windows Search under Windows 10 can search document content and e-mail message content the answer is yes.

I know that document content is enabled as the default.  Enabling e-mail content will be dependent on the e-mail client you are using and, if memory serves, must be enabled by you once your chosen e-mail client is in place so that Windows Search knows where it's searching.

No need to apologize with regard to being used to Windows 7.  We've been anticipating a wave of new Windows 10 users after Windows 7 went out of support.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Also, if you have not considered joining the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group that's worth doing in your situation:   win10+subscribe@win10.groups.io

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Tim Ford

How would I change the default settings so that I get to contents of files, not just file names?

Tim Ford

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 02:05 PM, Tim Ford wrote:
How would I change the default settings so that I get to contents of files, not just file names?
The default setting is to search on both file contents and file names, provided you have left the default Windows Indexing options in place which index on both.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

brian albriton

We have outlook already installed. How would we make it a part of the windows search?  I also took your advice and joined the windows 10 list.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM, brian albriton wrote:
We have outlook already installed. How would we make it a part of the windows search?
Control Panel, Indexing Options, Modify Button.  In the Indexed Locations dialog that comes up, in the top section entitled Change selected locations, is a list of locations with a checkbox for each.  If you arrow down through that list on a system that has Outlook installed, one of those should be Microsoft Outlook.  Check it, then navigate to and activate the OK button.  You'll be back at the Indexing Options dialog.

After that I would also recommend rebuilding the index immediately.  You do this by activating the Advanced button then in the Advanced Options dialog navigating to the Rebuild button and activating it.  You will then get a warning dialog that the rebuild can take a long time to complete (which is true) and that your search results will be incomplete until it does with an OK or Cancel option.  You'll OK it.  In my case it took seconds because I had not changed anything to be indexed, but when you add locations it will toss out the entire existing index and rebuild it from scratch.  You need not do this if you don't want to, as it will eventually occur "naturally" but I like to force it so that I know it has completed and I can expect that the new location(s) I've added to the index should now show up when I do a Windows Search.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

When I just checked Outlook was checked and I don’t recall ever doing this so it may very well be included in search by default.

On the other hand, I noticed that my Local Drive was unchecked, not sure why this is, but I did check it and when I check file types like Word, TXT and so on they all had content included by default.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 01:11 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
When I just checked Outlook was checked and I don’t recall ever doing this so it may very well be included in search by default.
It typically is, but if someone is not getting Outlook messages in their Windows Search results this is the first thing I check and suspect, for whatever reason, is unchecked on that given machine.

I turn it off, always, as I never want e-mail messages involved in a Windows Search, just like I don't want web results in a Windows Search.  If I want either of those things I go to the email/webmail client or web browser and do them there.  But, the option exists for others who have the opposite preference in each regard.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

David Bailes

Hi Sieghard,
regarding your local drive being unchecked. That's the default setting. If you check this, then all the folders on your local drive will be indexed, apart from those that are specifically unchecked at lower levels. This is probably not what you want, as this will mean all your system files being indexed, leading to a bigger index. By default, only the users folder is checked.

David.