Topics

moderated Zoom Question Re Muting Jaws

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I’m in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have;  but I often don’t need it when attending or participating in a meeting, since I’m typically not the main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won’t be able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don’t want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Ann Byrne

Perhaps speech on demand, where JAWS only speaks when you actively press a read command. Invoke it with insert+spacebar, then s. Return to full speech with the same keystroke.

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have; but I often don't need it when attending or participating in a meeting, since I'm typically not the main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won't be able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don't want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Thanks, Ann.

I didn't even know this command existed.

You learn something new every day!

Tom Behler

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a
question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in
the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have; but I often don't need it when
attending or participating in a meeting, since I'm typically not the
main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won't be
able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom
meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don't want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Tim Ford

While JAWS is in the silent mode you describe, how do you invoke a JAWS
reading command, I assume something like JAWS key + down arrow? I tried it
just now but no JAWS speech at all.

Tim Ford

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention an easy solution to the issue of silencing JAWS while in
a Zoom meeting. Just use headphones. I had this issue just the other day
and headphones worked well.

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a
question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in
the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have; but I often don't need it when
attending or participating in a meeting, since I'm typically not the
main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won't be
able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom
meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don't want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

John Covici

Also, I thought that there were scripts, at least in the latest
version of Jaws to toggle whether to let you know these notifications
or not, I don't get them, except in certain cases when the host wants
me to unmute.

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a
question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in
the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have; but I often don't need it when
attending or participating in a meeting, since I'm typically not the
main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won't be
able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom
meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don't want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Lino Morales

Tom all you have to do is hit alt WIN plus S. It’s a toggle. And you should have your audio muted always unless you raise your hand to speak.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I’m in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have;  but I often don’t need it when attending or participating in a meeting, since I’m typically not the main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won’t be able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don’t want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Judy Redlich <jredlichspeaks@...>

What I d…

I use an ear piece with a microphone.  Then you are the only one hearing it. Hit the control key when it speaks those things or just tune it out.  I keep jaws on as I usually take meeting notes in Word while the meeting is in progress.

Judy

I’m in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have;  but I often don’t need it when attending or participating in a meeting, since I’m typically not the main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won’t be able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don’t want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Edward Green

Hi Tom,

You can also change Zoom settings to prevent some of these notifications.

Cheers,

Ed

[...]

With speech on demand, JAWS should respond to the reading commands. I can use insert+up arrow to read the current line, insert+down arrow, and so on. What it does is to prevent automatic reading of things changing on the screen.

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a
question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in
the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have; but I often don't need it when
attending or participating in a meeting, since I'm typically not the
main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won't be
able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom
meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don't want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Ed Culpepper

When I want to hear the participants list or other Zoom info or controls during a meeting I join the meeting from my laptop using earbuds. I can hear all of the info and meeting discussion without my microphone picking up the Jaws chatter from my speakers as happens when I join from my desktop computer.

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Tom Behler

I could do that, but in the case of a meeting I had yesterday, there were
others in the room with me who wanted to hear the meeting.

Tom Behler

At 09:04 PM 4/10/2020, you wrote:
[...]

How exactly can I change my Zoom settings to prevent unwanted notifications?

Maybe I need to get Jonathan Mosen’s book.

Tom Behler

I’m in the process of learning how to use Zoom with Jaws, and have a question that may seem elementary to some.

When in a Zoom meeting, Jaws lets me know as things are happening in the meeting, such as when new people join, who is raising their hand, etc..

This is great information to have;  but I often don’t need it when attending or participating in a meeting, since I’m typically not the main meeting organizer.

I suppose I could mute my audio via Alt A, but then people won’t be able to hear me.

I also could turn Jaws off, but that seems a bit extreme.

Any suggestions for dealing with unwanted Jaws speech during a Zoom meeting would be appreciated.

I simply don’t want to distract other meeting attendees.

Thank you.

Tom Behler

Mario

is this documented somewhere including other useful shortcuts?