Topics

moderated Email client for Jaws 2019

Nickus de Vos

Hi all
I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.
I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail, but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

Gerald Levy

Mozilla Thunderbird is completely accessible with JAWS 2019.

Gerald

On 4/10/2020 7:07 AM, Nickus de Vos wrote:
Hi all
I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.
I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail, but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

David Griffith

I am using both Outlook subscription version and Windows Mail

I use Jaws 2020 but have also used Jaws 2019 without issues.

Windows Mail in particular takes a little getting used to as you lose focus from the inbox list every time new messages arrive

If you hear navigation bar or loading this will mean you have lost focus from the inbox but you will then become a fan of the shift tab key as a press or two of this should land you back on the inbox. This is part of my muscle memory so this has ceased to be annoying.

The advantage of Windows Mail for me over Outlook is that it is lightning fast, easy to set up and has a fantastic automatic preview reading feature which allows you to hear the first 2 or 3 lines of an email as you cursor down the inbox. This often allows me to delete mail without even opening it.

Occasionally Mail will crash with Jaws, though not with NVDA for some reason. However Mail is so fast at loading I again have got used to just  pressing the windows key and pressing M  to launch it again.

Outlook is slower but with more bells and whistles but as far as I am aware has absolutely no access issues of any significance. I am using it with Jaws 2019 at the moment to check that nothing has changed before sending this message back to you.

I think at the moment it would be difficult to find a better alternative than Mail and Outlook as I believe that there has been access issues in the latest version of Thunderbird which was the other mainstay of accessible email clients. There are some legacy version of Outlook Express which apparently have accessibility support but I do not personally use this.

What exactly are the issues you are having with Mail and Outlook? I really think you may be better served trying to sort these out first rather than going  from the frying pan to the fire of other options  which may have even more access challenges.

David Griffith

.

this

load.

You have to get used to using the shift

.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.
I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail, but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

Mario

what access issues in the latest version of Thunderbird?
I'm using JAWS 2018 and haven't experienced any issues.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a
email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.
I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail,
but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing
something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make
these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

Leo

Hi, I use jaws 2020 latest compilation and thunderbird, but the only accessibility issue I find is the option menu.

Best,
   Leo
On 4/10/2020 8:34 AM, Mario wrote:

what access issues in the latest version of Thunderbird?
I'm using JAWS 2018 and haven't experienced any issues.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a
email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.
I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail,
but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing
something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make
these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

I also have Office 365 and while I am now on Jaws 2020, I have been using Outlook via Office 365 for many years with all versions of Jaws and both under Windows 7 and 10. It would help if you specifically listed the issues you have.

Don’t forget that you can always fall back on Microsoft Accessibility for specific problems.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a
email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.
I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail,
but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing
something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make
these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

David Griffith

I have not installed the latest version of thunderbird but there have been numerous complaints over the last few days on the  NVDA list that  the latest version has become unusable as it has become too verbose and there was wide disappointment that Mozeilla had failed to test it with screenreaders. There were complaints that it was now unusable and  looking to downgrade to previous versions.

It may be that Jaws users are getting a different experience but   I had assumed that there would be a relatively similar screenreader experience. Certainly in the past NVDA and Jaws had performed relatively similarly when I have used Thunderbird in the past.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

what access issues in the latest version of Thunderbird?

I'm using JAWS 2018 and haven't experienced any issues.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 with Jaws 2019. I'm battling to find a

email client which is accessible with Jaws 2019.

I tried MS Office since I have Office 365 and I also tried Windows Mail,

but Jaws 2019 seams to have issues with both. Unless I'm missing

something, is there maybe settings to be changed or layouts which make

these work better with Jaws 2019?

Thank you

Nickus

Leo

oh yes, about that, as you supposed, it's an issue for n v d a users, not jaws users, I'm pretty sure of it!

Best,
   Leo

[...]

Don H

I am using the latest version of Thunderbird along with the latest version of NVDA and have no issues.  I neever have the statgus bar enabled.  See no real need to have it enabled.

On 4/10/2020 11:43 AM, Leo wrote:

[...]

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

You could try Thunderbird?