moderated How do I make it so I don't have to hit the FN key on an Asus Laptop.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

To keep this on topic, I’m using JAWS 2020 on the latest Windows 10 PC. It’s an Asus laptop. I don’t remember the model, but it has 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD, and an 11 inch touch screen. It also has that dreaded FN key, and that is annoying, because you have to hit it along with the function keys to work with some JAWS functions. I have a nice Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that has a numeric keypad, and I made it so the FN key isn’t needed to hit the function keys to do things like have JAWS tell you the time. How do I disable it?

I have one other question. The laptop keyboard doesn’t have a numeric pad, so you use a combination of keys to accomplish something, such as FN+LEFT ARROW is the equivalent of the HOME key. If I make it so the FN key is no longer necessary, would that key combination no longer work?

Thanks in advance for help.

Kevin and Jilly, and Valerie who is practicing social distancing from her home

Without a specific model number, it is impossible to give definitive advice, but I'll tell you what I do know from the ASUS support page, [Notebook] Asus Keyboard hotkeys - Introduction, which was updated on March 10, 2020.

ASUS keyboard hotkeys are ON by default.  That is you don't have to press Fn+ a function key in order to get the hotkey function activate, e.g., volume up/down. And that's apparently the state you're in.

There is a built-in app on ASUS laptops called, ASUS Keyboard Hotkeys, that allows you to toggle between hotkey function and straight function key mode via the radio button you select.  Hit Windows Key and immediately start typing "Asus keyboard" and it's likely to be the first search result at the top.  Activate the app and then choose the radio button for F1-F12 as opposed to Hotkeys, close the app, and your Function Keys should act as straight function keys.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Pramit

Hi Kevin,

Try hitting FN key and Esc key once simultaneously, if that doesn't work use the other method.

To disable or enable the function key (Fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Turn off the computer.
• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
• Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
• Select the desired mode:
• Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (Fn) while pressing one of the F1 through F12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

Pramit

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:29 AM Kevin Minor <kminor65@...> wrote:

[...]

Pramit, I wish I would have had your simple instructions to solve this earlier. I dealt with a Microsoft Disability agent that got me riled up. Your trick of FN+ESC worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the help.

Kevin and Jilly, and Valerie, who’s practicing social distancing from her home

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Kevin, I have an Asus laptop and I don’t think you want to disable the FN key because using it with the arrow keys works very well once you get used to it. And try the methods posted by Brian and  Pramit to get the function keys back to what we are used to as f1 through f12.

Marie