Topics

moderated VLC Revisited

David Griffith

I thought I  would just post to say how I had resolved my VLC difficulty.

Some may recall last week that out of the blue VLC suddenly refused to play any media for me.

Altering   settings in VLC, including adjusting volume made no difference.

I therefore uninstalled and reinstalled VLC – still no difference.

I then had to install WinAmp to provide a replacement for the  last week.

Tonight I suddenly remembered that I had not checked the Windows Sound Mixer.

I typed sndvol after pressing the Windows key.

Sure enough when I came to the VLC slider  in the Windows Mixer I found that VLC had been set to 0%.

I changed this to 100%  and VLC suddenly blared back to life.

Quite what had happened in Windows to set VLC in the Sound Mixer to 0% is a complete mystery to me. I am the only person using this PC and I have been nowhere near the Windows Sound Mixer since last year.

Some errant electrons have obviously strayed where they should not stray.

Anyway I have VLC back working again and thought I would post this in case someone else encountered this or a similar issue.

David Griffith.

JM Casey

Haha, nice. I had a feeling you should check that actually, but maybe I never sent a message here about it. I don’t know what would have changed the  setting either but, I think I have seen things like that happen before.

[...]

Judy Redlich <jredlichspeaks@...>

Okay, Here’s what I need to know, related to this story:

I used to use a UCX client for answering work phone calls from home.  When I uninstalled that to use voices.com, suddenly now no audio comes out of my computer when I try and use my  quad capture mixer and headset.  In fact, when I plug in my headset, hooked to that mixer, no audio works.

You can either respond on the list, or email me privately at jredlichspeaks@...

Thank you much.

[...]

I tried same thing:

Pressing the windows key then typing sndvol .

Everything was at 100 percent.  That’s while I have my other headset on.  If I put on my head set that goes with my quad capture, I get no audio.

If I’m using the same computer, shouldn’t the quad capture or Sennheiser headset  show up anyway because it’s on this computer?

Thanks.

Judy

: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy Redlich via groups.io

[...]

I am not at all familiar with that Mixer but have you looked at the default Windows  Sound Mixer to see if the application driving your mixer is there?

You would also need the application from which you are expecting an audio output to be running.

You would need to see if the volume levels for it are normal if that is the case.

Just press windows R and type Sndvol and enter.

In fact you can do this just by  pressing windows key and typing sndvol into the search box.

Then tabbing will navigate you to each of the applications running and show an individual volume level for each and a mute /unmute  check box.

If the application is not there it sounds like you would need to consult your mixer hardware sound properties.

David Griffith

?

[...]

Hey Dave,

When I plugged in the quad, both channels were recognize when I ran sound forge.  I kept both ear phones plugged in so I could do the audio adjusting you recommended.  Still got no audio.  But at least it recognized the quad was there.

How do you get to the default sound mixer, or what else can you recommend?

Judy

[...]

I went in to the sounds mixer and it shows the quad there.  The volume was 100 percent.

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Is it unmuted?

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2020 3:15 PM

[...]

No it was not muted.

Now I still had another set of ear phones hooked in while trying this, because my speaker doesn’t work in my computer.  But it showed sound forge, and also the quad.  Neither looked unmuted.

I had the quad plugged into another ear phone USB port and no sound  came out in any of my tests.

Steps I used:

Opened sound forge.

Went to sndvol and made sure my levels were at 100 percent.

Made sure neither sound forge nor quad were muted.

Went to the sound mixer.

Checked that each was recognized and volumes good.

double checked for muted or unmuted.

What steps am I missing?

Judy

[...]

Judy,  Is this a laptop computer that you are using?  Do you get any other sounds in your headphones like Windows sounds?

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

[...]

Hey Marty, No.  Nothing at all from it.  I think the quad it’s working though, because I can hear when I speak into the mike.  But I get no audio except that.  no audio works when I tab around to other programs I have open.

So, I have to use my other USB head set to discover what’s going on.

It all started when I uninstalled the UCX phone system from the computer, and the only other thing I did I took off Jaws 17.

But I kept all the shared components and I have Jaws 18 and 19 that work fine.

Thanks so much for your help.   Dave’s advice helped me, too.

I can be reached personally if this is too much “back and forth” on this list.

Blessings,

Judy

[...]

Norma A. Boge

Hi David, randomly changing settings is a feature of Windows 10, hahaha. I’ve had this happen and it is frustrating to say the least. It’s probably my biggest complaint about Win 10. Best, Norma

[...]

Well folks…I just tried top lay a clip in VLC, and, what do you know? No sound!

Check sndvol

And the volume is set to 0%!

Th is isn’t the case with any other programme

So eitehr a Windows update or VLC update must have caused this. I don’t recall an update to VLC recently…but it seems it might be a semi-universal thing.

David Griffith

Many thanks

This confirms that neither of us are sleepwalking  to our computers and bizarrely muting VLC in our sleep.

Computers

! You have to love them or hate them.

David Griffith

Well folks…I just tried top lay a clip in VLC, and, what do you know? No sound!

Check sndvol

And the volume is set to 0%!

Th is isn’t the case with any other programme

So eitehr a Windows update or VLC update must have caused this. I don’t recall an update to VLC recently…but it seems it might be a semi-universal thing.

JM Casey

Yep. It’s very odd, but this means everyone else should look out for it. There *was* a major windows update not that long ago for me…