Hi, I have stated the same, n v d a does not have this problem.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/21/2020 10:53 AM, Dean Martineau wrote:

The problem with adjusting the rate is a JAWS problem. It works fine with Narrator.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 12:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Edge Immersive Reader View

Not that I'm discouraging anyone from submitting feedback to Microsoft on this feature, as you absolutely should, but there are also other options now that Edge is Chromium-based and you can use extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

One extension I used routinely with my blind clients is called Read Aloud.  It allows you to assign (or reassign) shortcut keys for many of its functions when it's active and I just tested voice speed with the default voice (and there are multiple options).  It can read at "blind screen-reader user speed" which is utterly incomprehensible to me.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Dean,

          No surprise there, as there have been many such screen-reader specific quirks in interacting with specific things over the time I've "been in this biz."

          I can and do still highly recommend the Read Aloud extension, though.  It's aimed squarely at the screen-reader using demographic and works beautifully.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Dean Martineau

[...]

That does not work for me and I have also not found a way to change it except that at first I could change it to the minimum (0.5) t the maximum (2) by using Home and End, but I couldn't figure out how to get it back to 1 or 1.5.
Anybody who cares about this should submit Feedback to the Microsoft Edge team via the Help and Feedback option in the Settings menu and ask them to make this accessible.

From: David Kingsbury [mailto:davidkingsbury77@...]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 10:38 AM
Subject: New Microsoft Edge Immersive Reader View Hi all,

The new Edge has a very nice feature called Immersive Reader that strips out clutter on busy web pages for a cleaner read. There is a read aloud button that reads text out loud with various voices, and this totally clears out the clutter. Note that this is not a screen reader voice, but a voice that everybody can hear, and the voice quality is good. Only problem is that it reads at a "sighted person" speed, in other words, painfully slow. While there is a left/right slider for adjusting the voice rate, it does not seem accessible. Does anybody know if there is a shortcut key that could be used to adjust this voice rate?

Thanks,

David

Mario

[...]

Hi David,

this is one of the reasons why edge chromium has become my favorite browser. Sadly, some shortcuts keys or at least a feature to customize shortcut keys needs to be added. Those voices are quite amazing, I'm not an English native speaker, so I can tell you that the English voices are the most clear synthetic voices I've heard from my prospective as a language learner of course. As for the left right slider, This is a serious issue that latest version of jaws 2020 haven't been able to fix. This is important. It's a screen reader issue and not a browser issue. How do I know? Very simple, you can access this slider with no problems using n v d a.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/21/2020 8:38 AM, David Kingsbury wrote:

Hi all,

The new Edge has a very nice feature called Immersive Reader that strips out clutter on busy web pages for a cleaner read. There is a read aloud button that reads text out loud with various voices, and this totally clears out the clutter. Note that this is not a screen reader voice, but a voice that everybody can hear, and the voice quality is good. Only problem is that it reads at a “sighted person” speed, in other words, painfully slow. While there is a left/right slider for adjusting the voice rate, it does not seem accessible. Does anybody know if there is a shortcut key that could be used to adjust this voice rate?

Thanks,

David

David Kingsbury

Hi all,