Jaws System Requirements

Tom Behler

Hello, all.

I’m getting ready to purchase a new laptop computer, and want to be sure I get one that is adequate for Jaws.  I currently use Jaws 16, and my SMA covers Jaws 17.  So I will likely put Jaws 17 on the new computer.

I realize that any new laptop will have Windows 10 as its operating system, and am prepared to begin learning to use Jaws with that new operating system.

My question is this:

What should I be looking for in a laptop?  I found the following system requirements on the Freedom Scientific web site, but wonder whether those are absolute minimum requirements:

table with 2 columns and 7 rows

Description

Specification

JAWS Home Use Edition and JAWS Professional

Windows® 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server® 2012, and Windows Server 2008

Processor speed

Minimum 1.5 GHz processor

Memory (RAM)

4 GB recommended (64-bit)

2 GB recommended (32-bit)

Required hard disk space

20 MB to 690 MB required per voice for installing Vocalizer Expressive, Vocalizer Direct, or RealSpeak Solo Direct voices (file sizes will vary depending on the voice installed)

Video

A display adapter capable of at least 800 x 600 screen resolution with 16-bit color (1024 x 768 screen resolution with 32-bit color recommended)

Sound

Windows compatible sound card (for speech)

table end

Any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Are there certain brands of laptops I should stay away from?  Right now, I’m thinking of either an HP or a Dell.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Feliciano G

Hi, I highly recommend dell  laptops, They are great as well as their extended warranty. If the application key is important for you, make sure that the keyboard has it. If not, you will have to use an alternate way to have axis to the application key. I personally don't care for HP laptops as I have experienced hardware issues with them. Happy hunting, it is always fun to buy a new laptop.

Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v

On Mar 12, 2016, at 8:38 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave...

Dell for sure. Not the Inspire, but the Latitude line.

Dave Carlson

Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2016 01:27 AM
Subject: Re: Jaws System Requirements

[...]

Thanks, Feliciano.

I appreciate the tip on the applications key, because that will be very important to me.

Tom Behler

[...]

Pablo Morales

I also recommend lenovo thinkpad U530. It has numeric keypad, the application key, and the insert key. Basicly this laptop has the whole keys that a regular starndard keyboard has. More over it has a i7 processor, 8gb of ram, and 1tb of HD. The price is almost around $800

Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2016 01:27 AM

[...]

Michael Mote

Tom, as a general rule, the more RAM you have in your system, the more responsive JAWS or any Assistive Technology product for that matter will be.  I generally recommend 8 Gigs for our folks, when I’m purchasing computers for them.  Other than that, a good sized hard drive, and and a compatible video card, and you should be good to go.  Most video cards work with JAWS, if you’re buying a computer that is not customized.  Good luck!

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Sorry to hear that about HP, though.  My good old desktop performed like a champ from the day I set it up until the day the phone company blew it up!

Ted

[...]

Thanks for these insights, Mike.

They agree with what others have said, and with what I’ve thought all along, which is a good thing.

Will keep you and everyone posted.

Tom Behler

[...]

Jeanette McAllister

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad, Windows 10 and Jaws 17. I've had no problems.

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 12, 2016, at 11:38 PM, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jeanette.

Lenovo think pads are definitely on my list of laptops to look at seriously.

So, thanks for the confirmation.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

James Malone

If you get one, you will need to disable the touch pad. Or, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard. Some people don’t like using them though.

The Lenovo think pad is sensitive.

[...]

My Lenovo came with a keyboard the tablet will mount to. There's no need to disable the touchpad touch features.

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 15, 2016, at 4:10 AM, James Malone <malone_j@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom, I should have pointed out to you that I use a Dell Latitude for work, and I love its performance.  You can get them either with or without the number pad, and either way, they are fairly light weight.  Good luck with finding the one that fits your needs.  There are lots of good choices.

[...]

That’s good. My client didn’t want to use another keyboard, so I had to go that route.

[...]

Mike:

I didn’t know the Dell Lattitude could come without a number pad.

That is good info, since I really don’t use the number pad much.

Tom Behler