From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 11:07 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Census survey

John,

The following is not aimed at you, but at my frustration with this situation and the IDIOT who wrote that message text that's getting read.

Now Here This: You do NOT need to use IE to complete the U.S. Census online. I completed it in Brave and know of folks who've done so in Chrome, Firefox, Edge original, and new Chromium-based edge.

This is a case where some incompetent didn't even think twice about what they were writing. Microsoft has been strongly recommending that users abandon IE for years now. To wit:

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ... (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ... (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ... (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

~ Joshua Liebman

Dan Longmore

Same experience here. IE is the default when other browsers fail. Many state agencies still rely on IE for its broad access.

Dan

there are still some web pages that don't work very well.
i have tried 2 times now to enter my credit card info with safeway with firefox and chrome brave and it refused to except my card. i was able to do it with i e.
neither jaws 2020 nor window eyes would work either, except with i e.

[...]

And, seriously, when that occurs loud complaints should be made to the entities in control of those websites.

It is insane to have people forced into using what is well known to be an insecure browser to enter credit card data.  It would not shock me, though I haven't checked, that it could very well be a violation of PCI compliance to allow IE use with credit card information.

Internet Explorer is not secure, period, and it is up to entities handling financially or otherwise sensitive information to get off their duffs and update their sites to use secure and modern browsers.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Dan Longmore

I understand your concerns, however IE is still secure and may not even be as nosey as Chrome.  Truth is new is not always better.  While I have switched to Chrome and Edge IE is still faithful in critical needs.

And, seriously, when that occurs loud complaints should be made to the entities in control of those websites.

It is insane to have people forced into using what is well known to be an insecure browser to enter credit card data.  It would not shock me, though I haven't checked, that it could very well be a violation of PCI compliance to allow IE use with credit card information.

Internet Explorer is not secure, period, and it is up to entities handling financially or otherwise sensitive information to get off their duffs and update their sites to use secure and modern browsers.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Quick check reveals that IE 11 is, as of this writing, still PCI compliant.

But, as writer SteveB_85 noted on answers.microsoft.com topic, Internet Explorer 11 "will not be supported soon"?, ". . . use Internet Explorer to access apps that aren't compatible with Edge or other browsers but the recommendation from Microsoft is now only to use Internet Explorer for compatibility purposes."

And complain loudly when you have had to do so.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 04:53 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:
IE is still secure and may not even be as nosey as Chrome.
Nothing is as nosy as the Google Chrome browser, on that we agree.

However, IE cannot be considered secure by modern standards, and no matter how often anyone says, "it's secure," there is no one, including Microsoft, that recommends its ongoing use except when it's the only option.  And at this point (and that's not Microsoft's fault) it should never be "the only option."  Organizations that have sites where it still is need to have objections raised.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Glenn / Lenny

IE works best for my router web interface.
The other two won't show some controls.
Glenn

And, seriously, when that occurs loud complaints should be made to the entities in control of those websites.

It is insane to have people forced into using what is well known to be an insecure browser to enter credit card data.  It would not shock me, though I haven't checked, that it could very well be a violation of PCI compliance to allow IE use with credit card information.

Internet Explorer is not secure, period, and it is up to entities handling financially or otherwise sensitive information to get off their duffs and update their sites to use secure and modern browsers.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

I just read an article where the major browsers were compared with respect to what they track and all that and the new Edge actually came out the worst, Brave I think the best and Chrome in the middle and I think better than Firefox.