Topics

moderated JAWS reads out passwords instead of reading "star, star"

Sameer

Dear List Friends,

Whenever I try to type a password, JAWS reads out the actual keys being pressed instead of reading “star, star”. In previous versions, JAWS did not echo passwords but read them as “star, star”.

This problem has been happening in both Chrome & Firefox with JAWS 2020 but not with JAWS 2019. My OS is Windows 10.

Kindly guide me as to what settings I should change in JAWS 2020 so that it does not echo passwords.

Thanking all in advance for any & all assistance.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
Mumbai, India

David Diamond

Most likely you’ve got it set to read out passwords.  Uncheck that box. 

Don H

where is this setting for getting jaws to read passwords? FS told me there was no such setting.

On 3/16/2020 1:59 PM, David Diamond wrote:

netbat66

i wished jaws did have this option. i am tired of haveing to copy and paste my passwords from notepad into the password box.
thats why i continue to use window eyes for this. it has the option to turn the speaking of the keys i press on. or off.
this is at home. i don't have to worry about someone else stealing my passwords.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 11:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS reads out passwords instead of reading "star, star"

Most likely you’ve got it set to read out passwords. Uncheck that box.

I hope that one of these days Vispero clues in and stops making me, and others who use JAWS only occasionally and only in demo mode, have to restart our computers if they've been on for more than 40 minutes.  How long the computer has been on is irrelevant when I haven't touched JAWS in several months.  I'd be perfectly happy for it to start counting, and remember how long it's been used, cutting you off at the 40 minute limit, but the whole thing of looking at how long the machine has been running rather than how long JAWS has been running is ridiculous.

I can't even help with JAWS 2019, as I'm not about to restart my machine at the moment.

Forgive the venting, I now return you to someone else who can look into JAWS settings and use the search feature to find password, which has to be in there, somewhere.  It's either that, or a script.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Shai

Hello,
There is no such check box. On the websites that have this activity,
is the show password on the website checked? Perhaps that is checked
and why JAWS is reading out the password. I would ensure that show
password on the site you are trying to log into is not checked if
there is such an option.
I would also recommend a JAWS repair because I am not having this
behavior in JAWS2020.

On 3/16/20, Sameer <salatey@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear List Friends,

Whenever I try to type a password, JAWS reads out the actual keys being
pressed instead of reading “star, star”. In previous versions, JAWS did not
echo passwords but read them as “star, star”.

This problem has been happening in both Chrome & Firefox with JAWS 2020 but
not with JAWS 2019. My OS is Windows 10.

Kindly guide me as to what settings I should change in JAWS 2020 so that it
does not echo passwords.

Thanking all in advance for any & all assistance.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
Mumbai, India

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 04:35 PM, Shai wrote:
On the websites that have this activity, is the show password on the website checked?
Never thought of that, which could be.  That being said, the show password option (usually a button at the right side of the password text entry box) will always default to off unless you activate it.  And even if you activate it, it should only work for that instance.  I have never seen show password being toggled on persisting over time.

I am endlessly amazed how often the request is made to either show and/or announce passwords when typed.  Whether it's at home alone or not, it's just bad practice that's very hard to wean yourself off of if you use it frequently.  It makes a lot more sense to use a password manager and either copy and paste or, for many sites and with a number of password managers, have it automatically enter your login ID and password for you.  The automated population of those fields is being made more difficult these days by design, as it prevents machine based attempts to log in via scripting that uses the same technique.  Some sites are even making it impossible to paste a password in to a password field.   It really pays to use what I call, The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords, and typing yourself all the time.  Passwords created that way tend to roll very quickly off the fingers after you are fully acclimated to your chosen fixed elements and where you fix them.  They also become incredibly easy to remember, or even guess, for the individual that created them but only that individual.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Debbie April Yuille

Where do you go to find that particular setting? I’ve never come across that in JAWS before.

Debbie

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Tuesday, 17 March 2020 6:00 AM

That is because it does not exist.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debbie April Yuille
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 7:05 PM

Where do you go to find that particular setting? I’ve never come across that in JAWS before.

Debbie

Adrian Spratt

It exists on some websites. It isn’t a universal option. The only way to find out on any given website is to go out of forms mode and arrow down, typically right below the password field.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 1:56 AM

That is because it does not exist.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Debbie April Yuille
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 7:05 PM

Debbie