moderated JAWS Screen Shade not Working with External Monitor

Debbie April Yuille

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Abraham Sweiss

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Debbie April Yuille

Are you able to actually see the screen turn black? Also what computer are you using?

Debbie

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Abraham Sweiss

Yes both the screen on my laptop and my external monitor go black.

I have a Lenovo laptop which a plug into a docking station.
I am I have windows 10 with jaws 2020.

I would suggest pressing the windows key plus the letter P.
This should provide the interface to determine how your external monitor is viewed by your Windows operating system.
Or at least that just a combination I use and Lenovo.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Are you able to actually see the screen turn black? Also what computer are you using?

Debbie

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Richard Turner

I don’t have a second monitor, but this is what you get with Windows+p:

Project  window

PROJECT list

PC screen only selected

Duplicate

Extend

Second screen only

Connect to a wireless display link

link

HTH,

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Debbie April Yuille

Ok thanks. I need to hear from someone who is using a desktop PC not a laptop. Thanks anyway.

Debbie

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Abraham Sweiss

Screen shade also works on my desktop computer.
It also has windows 10 with jaws 2020.
It was custom-made, so no specific brand to specify.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 9:13 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Ok thanks. I need to hear from someone who is using a desktop PC not a laptop. Thanks anyway.

Debbie

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

dennis

i'm sorry for this dumb question but what is screen shade?

--
Dennis Cornelison

Richard Turner

The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Screen Shade, or in iPhone terminology, Screen Curtain, makes the screen black so people cannot see what you have on your screen. It is a layered keystroke, insert+spacebar then f11.
Its a toggle.
HTH,

Richard
"There's a nap for that."

On Mar 16, 2020, at 6:35 AM, dennis <dennisc67@...> wrote:

i'm sorry for this dumb question but what is screen shade?

On 3/16/2020 7:47 AM, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

Are you able to actually see the screen turn black? Also what computer are you using?

Debbie

I just tested and everything works as expected.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 16, 2020, at 2:28 AM, Debbie April Yuille <debbiey1982@...> wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Alan Robbins

Hope you got an answer to your issue. I never bothered with the shade thing, I simply keep my monitor off unless a colleague, etc. needs to look at something.

Al

Has anyone else found that the screen shade feature doesn’t work if you are using a desktop PC with an external monitor? I activate the command and it reports that it’s on but I can see that it isn’t. I’ve changed Monitors and it makes no difference. I’m using the latest builds of both JAWS and windows 10.

Debbie

Chris Hill

Working fine here.  I'll bet it is going to depend on the video card and drivers.  I'm running an ati Radeon rx 580