Topics

moderated need help please re a win 10 update I just did

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:06 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:
But once you remove the offending KB update, how do you prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing it again
You don't, at least if it's not an optional update.

People need to accept that, occasionally, even perfect updates (when we're talking about the whole embedded base of users) will "burp" when installing on a given machine.  Who knows why and, when it's on a statistically insignificant number, who cares?

Very often uninstalling then promptly reinstalling actually fixes the problem.  Or just uninstalling and waiting for Windows Update to fetch that update again, or a cumulative update that follows it.

This is a normal, and typical, part of owning a computer and has been for decades.  It just happens every once in a blue moon for any given user.  Knowing how to roll back, and then either intentionally reapplying or just sitting back and waiting, without nail-biting, is the way to go.

When there are genuinely bad updates these "make the press" and these days, with OS telemetry, tend to get stopped in their tracks long before any but the few poor souls who happen to be in the very earliest cohort(s) have been affected.  That's cold comfort to them, but it also points out why having an external backup drive and a backup protocol you follow on a regular cycle is a basic element of computer ownership if you value your data and not having to reconfigure Windows from scratch in the event of a catastrophic failure from any of a number of causes.  If you don't take backups you will, at some point, lose everything.  And I can say that from personal experience (which is what made me wise up and begin backing up) and much professional observation.  It may be only once in a lifetime, but . . .

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Gerald Levy

But once you remove the offending KB update, how do you prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing it again surreptitiously andcausing the same problems all over again?

Gerald

On 3/12/2020 11:40 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Mario wrote:
it would be useful if you could find out and post which kb number the update is that triggered this issue
With regard to this, here's the part of my "standard Windows 10 revival script" that will allow you to find out what your most recently installed updates are, whether you choose to uninstall them or not:

If you are experiencing unexpected issues immediately or very shortly after any Windows update has been applied, then the first thing you should do is use the Windows 10 built-in capability to uninstall the latest update that’s suspected of causing the issue:

1.         Open Settings, Update & Security.  This should take you to the Windows Update Pane by default.

2.       In the Windows Update Pane, locate the View update history control, and activate it.

3.        In the View Update History dialog, locate the Uninstall updates link and activate it.

4.       In the Installed Updates dialog, the updates will be listed in groupings, with the groups alphabetically ordered, and the items within each group ordered by date – most recently installed first (if no one has changed the defaults).  In most cases, you’ll be looking to uninstall a Microsoft Windows update, and those are generally the final group.  The number of updates available for uninstalling is shown in parentheses after the Microsoft Windows group name.

5.        Almost all Windows Updates will have a KB number associated with them, and if you know that use this as what you search on for the actual update.  Select it.

6.        Activate the Uninstall button located above the list of updates, and the selected update will be uninstalled.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

[...]

Mario

it would be useful if you could find out and post which kb number the update is that triggered this issue, or what the ok and not now buttons are referring to?

From: Hank William Merchant [mailto:hank_w@...]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 9:58 AM
Hello,
Win 10 just did an update again on my laptop a few minutes ago and my
sighted wife just told me that now when I start up my laptop and before
jaws starts talking, there is now a pesty win10 screen that comes up
asking if you want to learn more about win 10 or learn more about some
new features of win10 and there is a couple of buttons that you can
cllick on that I personally cannot see since Jaws is not talking yet,
one button is an “okay” button and one is a “not now” button, so my
sighted wife clicked for me on the “not now” button and then my win10
came up finally in a couple of seconds after that with the startup chime
and the win 10 desktop and then like always my jaws18 program started
talking
Any ideas on how I can tell my win10 program to skip this pesty win10
screen I now get when I start up my laptop, before Jaws has a chance to
load and start talking? Any help with this would be so very much
appreciated. Much, much thanks in advance for any help I can maybe get
with this.
All the best,
Warmest regards,
Jaws18 totally blind user
Hank

.

In all probability the OK button will take you into a dialog where you can accept or reject something, or act as a permanent dismissal of the thing you're seeing if it acts as the acknowledgement that you've seen it (and that's often the case for announcements - where the Not Now button serves as a "show me this again later" option).

But not knowing precisely what you're dealing with here I cannot state the above with certainty.   A screen shot or knowing the actual message text of the thing would help immensely in identifying what it is and why it's happening.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

[...]

Hank William Merchant