Topics

moderated presence unknown in Outlook 2016

Mario

a friend is noticing that some contacts show a "presence unknown". what does this mean and how to turn it off? from googling this, I cannot find straight answers. it seems to be tied in with communication programs such as with Skype, Linc or Teams. and since I don't use Outlook, I'm hoping the members of this list can give me the steps to turn this "tag" off.

and also if there is a way to alphabetize the contacts. wondering if there is a setting, toggle or something to make it happen.

Mario

a friend is noticing that some contacts show a "presence unknown". what does this mean and how to turn it off? from googling this, I cannot find straight answers. it seems to be tied in with communication programs such as with Skype, Linc or Teams. and since I don't use Outlook, I'm hoping the members of this list can give me the steps to turn this "tag" off.

and also if there is a way to alphabetize the contacts. wondering if there is a setting, toggle or something to make it happen.

Pramit

Hi,

This issue occurs because the Windows Custom Text Size (DPI) setting is set to a specific custom value in the Display item in Control Panel.

To work around this issue, change the Windows Custom Text Size (DPI) setting to a non-custom value. To do this, follow the steps below

Open Control Panel.
Click Appearance and Personalization.
Click Display.
Under the Change size of items section, click set a custom scaling level.
Select one of the standard values, such as 100%, 125%, 150% or 200%.
Click OK.
Click Apply.
To apply the change, click Sign out now when you are prompted.

Pramit

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:07 AM Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:
a friend is noticing that some contacts show a "presence unknown". what
does this mean and how to turn it off? from googling this, I cannot find
straight answers. it seems to be tied in with communication programs
such as with  Skype, Linc or Teams. and since I don't use Outlook, I'm
hoping the members of this list can give me the steps to turn this "tag"
off.

and also if there is a way to alphabetize the contacts. wondering if
there is a setting, toggle or something to make it happen.

Mike B

Hi Pramit,

When doing changes as you've described with Jaws / Windows it's customary to , Apply the changes 1st, then clicking on, Okay.

[...]

after opening the control panel and switching to the category view, and entering on Appearance and Personalization.
, there is no link for display. if starting over and switching the control panel to the classic view, there is no Personalization link.
so, now what? he's using Windows 10 1909.

my question is what does the setting of the custom text size have to do with the display of "presence unknown" in Outlook?

<mailto:mrb620@...>> wrote:

a friend is noticing that some contacts show a "presence unknown". what
does this mean and how to turn it off? from googling this, I cannot
find
straight answers. it seems to be tied in with communication programs
such as with  Skype, Linc or Teams. and since I don't use Outlook, I'm
hoping the members of this list can give me the steps to turn this
"tag"
off.

and also if there is a way to alphabetize the contacts. wondering if
there is a setting, toggle or something to make it happen.

There is mixing of locations going on here.  The Settings, System, Display Pane, Scale and Layout section is where this is found under Windows 10 (or at least most easily and directly).  If you literally cannot see the safest thing is to leave scaling at 100%, which is what's recommended.

There can be all kinds of odd offshoots from having text scaled above 100%, though I have no idea if the "Presence Unknown" bit is one of them.

As to sorting contacts in Outlook 2016, it can be done in the same way it always has been done.  I sort my contacts on the "File As" field because I want them to sort in Last Name, First Name order.   Any column can be selected and then an ascending or descending sort applied.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

thanks Brian for the help.

so, if there is a setting to change the scaling and by doing so, funkyness can occur, why is the setting there? I would imagine most users would not expect funky things to happen by changing such an obscure (and unnecessary?) setting.

There is mixing of locations going on here.  The Settings, System,
Display Pane, Scale and Layout section is where this is found under
Windows 10 (or at least most easily and directly).  If you literally
cannot see the safest thing is to leave scaling at 100%, which is what's
recommended.

There can be all kinds of odd offshoots from having text scaled above
100%, though I have no idea if the "Presence Unknown" bit is one of them.

As to sorting contacts in Outlook 2016, it can be done in the same way
it always has been done.  I sort my contacts on the "File As" field
because I want them to sort in Last Name, First Name order.   Any column
can be selected and then an ascending or descending sort applied.

*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's
beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting
them./*

        ~ Joshua Liebman

The setting is not unnecessary if you're visually-impaired and helped by moderate magnification across the board, without resorting to going the Ease of Access route.

Very, very few people actually tweak this setting unless they need or want it.  I am doubting it's a factor here, but it's worth checking just to rule out the potential.

This could also be a JAWS bug, for all we know.  It's always worth reporting this stuff to the JAWS support folks.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

hey Brian, my friend no longer has the presence unknown issue any more, thanks to you. but he still has the issue regarding the names in his contacts. they are sorted by first middle last name, but they don't appear to be alphabetized in ascending order.

you mentioned how you do it but I don't get it, so I can direct him what to do. can you expand on how you do it?

so, if there is a setting to change the scaling and by doing so,
funkiness can occur, why is the setting there? I would imagine most
users would not expect funky things to happen by changing such an
obscure (and unnecessary?) setting.

There is mixing of locations going on here.  The Settings, System,
Display Pane, Scale and Layout section is where this is found under
Windows 10 (or at least most easily and directly).  If you literally
cannot see the safest thing is to leave scaling at 100%, which is what's
recommended.

There can be all kinds of odd offshoots from having text scaled above
100%, though I have no idea if the "Presence Unknown" bit is one of them.

As to sorting contacts in Outlook 2016, it can be done in the same way
it always has been done.  I sort my contacts on the "File As" field
because I want them to sort in Last Name, First Name order.   Any column
can be selected and then an ascending or descending sort applied.

JM Casey

I can't see anything, but it seems like something you might want to have if you could see, so not unnecessary per se.
Also.."presence unknown"...what an odd and ominous, portentous error. Hahaha

[...]

oh drat, my friend said this mourning, the issue of presence unknown in the contact list is back. I'll see if the scaling is still at 100%.

I wonder if there's a specific setting in Outlook 2016 that handles this. in the mean while, if anyone knows what to do about this.

There is mixing of locations going on here.  The Settings, System,
Display Pane, Scale and Layout section is where this is found under
Windows 10 (or at least most easily and directly).  If you literally
cannot see the safest thing is to leave scaling at 100%, which is what's
recommended.

There can be all kinds of odd offshoots from having text scaled above
100%, though I have no idea if the "Presence Unknown" bit is one of them.

As to sorting contacts in Outlook 2016, it can be done in the same way
it always has been done.  I sort my contacts on the "File As" field
because I want them to sort in Last Name, First Name order.   Any column
can be selected and then an ascending or descending sort applied.

Mario,

          Just managed to get back to looking at Contacts in Outlook 2016.  What View is she using?

I use list view by default, but even if I go to create another view from scratch the default sort initially is by File As, Ascending, and for individuals the File As is last name first.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

how does he check what view he's using? I need the keystrokes to direct me to help him. I know the names are in ascending order by first name last name.

          Just managed to get back to looking at Contacts in Outlook
2016.  What View is she using?

I use list view by default, but even if I go to create another view from
scratch the default sort initially is by File As, Ascending, and for
individuals the File As is last name first.

*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's
beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting
them./*

        ~ Joshua Liebman

ALT+H,CV   Home Ribbon, Current View Group.   I'd imagine the name of the current view will be announced, as NVDA announces it's in a list and that list view is selected.  There are, of course, other views in that list that could be selected, and if he's got another in use, that's what will be announced.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

I figured out that the contacts list has to be in focus before issuing the alt+h, c, v shortcut, otherwise it won't work.

anyway, the current view was set to people, so I changed it to list, and no more presence unknown in the contacts.