Topics

moderated unload and reload Jaws?

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hi, I was using qread and decided to unload jaws (jaws key f4.  When I wanted to reload jaws, I used control alt and j and it didn’t work.  Is there a new way of reloading Jaws now?  I am using the latest jaws 20.  What I had to do was shut the computer and restart and Jaws loaded at startup.  Thank you for your help.  Also, I am most likely getting a used Romeo Printer at Humanware.  Thanks to everyone that helped me sort all this…you are all great!!  Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

James Bentley

Hi,

Instead of rebooting your PC.  Just go in to the Windows run menu by typing, Windows key+R.  Then type, jaws2020, and hit enter.  This usually brings Jaws back up when Alt control J doesn’t work.

James B

Hi, I was using qread and decided to unload jaws (jaws key f4.  When I wanted to reload jaws, I used control alt and j and it didn’t work.  Is there a new way of reloading Jaws now?  I am using the latest jaws 20.  What I had to do was shut the computer and restart and Jaws loaded at startup.  Thank you for your help.  Also, I am most likely getting a used Romeo Printer at Humanware.  Thanks to everyone that helped me sort all this…you are all great!!  Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

netbat66

jaws key and j.
control alt j is the shortcut keys to load jaws from the desktop icon. when jaws is installed this shortcut is removed and you have to re define it again.
then you will be able to either shortcuts to bring up the jaws dialog to quit the program.

Hi, I was using qread and decided to unload jaws (jaws key f4. When I wanted to reload jaws, I used control alt and j and it didn’t work. Is there a new way of reloading Jaws now? I am using the latest jaws 20. What I had to do was shut the computer and restart and Jaws loaded at startup. Thank you for your help. Also, I am most likely getting a used Romeo Printer at Humanware. Thanks to everyone that helped me sort all this…you are all great!! Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

Andrew J. LaPointe

How do you refine the hot keys alt control and j? I also tried the windows key r and typed jaws2020 and that worked...thank you to the reply that gave me that information.. I just thought that the hot keys would be quicker Thank you Andy and Shubert

[...]

David Diamond

I just set up the shortcut and if JAWS freezes up, I close it then open it again.  That usually fixes the problem and can be done pretty much wherever you are on the screen.

Milton Ota

Another way is get to your desktop and hopefully JAWS 2020 is the only icon on your desktop that begins with the letter and type/hit the letter J and press enter.

You might want to check to see if you are missing the shortcut keystroke for JAWS 2020. I’ll let someone else explain how to get there and do it.

[...]

Randy Barnett

on the desktop find the jaws icon and then press alt plus enter. now tab to the shortcut fieled and press j. now tab to OK and press it. alt ctrl j will start jaws.

On 3/6/2020 1:20 PM, Andrew J. LaPointe wrote:
[...]

ben <swigjr23@...>

Hi,

The two ways I restart JAWS are as follows:
One, press the Windows key and the letter r to bring up the run box. Type jaws2020 and press enter. JAWS should come up talking.

Two, press the windows key and the letter m to bring up the desktop. Press j for JAWS and press enter. The only thing to remember with the desktop method is if you have other things that start with j on your desktop, you might land on one of those.

I hope this helps.

On Mar 6, 2020, at 2:59 PM, Andrew J. LaPointe <alapointe89@...> wrote:

Hi, I was using qread and decided to unload jaws (jaws key f4.  When I wanted to reload jaws, I used control alt and j and it didn’t work.  Is there a new way of reloading Jaws now?  I am using the latest jaws 20.  What I had to do was shut the computer and restart and Jaws loaded at startup.  Thank you for your help.  Also, I am most likely getting a used Romeo Printer at Humanware.  Thanks to everyone that helped me sort all this…you are all great!!  Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

David Griffith

Personally as   a feature request I would prefer that Jaws has the same behaviour as NVDA. That is, with NVDA running pressing control alt and N will close and restart NVDA in one operation without any further intervention. Jaws should do the same thing  with control alt J.

This NVDA feature is very useful if for any reason NVDA has stalled or speech has been lost. It clears up these problems quickly and nicely as NVDA instantly restarts itself with this forced restart.

In contrast if Jaws stalls you have to first of all try and shut it down and then try to re-load it. The exception to this is if Jaws itself recognises that it has crashed in which case it will sometimes restart itself  without any intervention from the user. The drawback  it that it normally takes quite a time to come to this conclusion.

Shutting down Jaws within one session in these circumstances is also not always straightforward. Occasionally I have ended up with multiple Jaws icons on my system tray as previous version have clearly failed to completely unload, even though only one instance of Jaws is talking.

A computer restart is normally required to remove these multiple ghost instances of Jaws.

I would much prefer NVDA’s  one shortcut approach  which in my experience never results in multiple versions of NVDA trying to run in the background.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

jaws already has this option.
press the jaws key and f4. this will unload and reload it.

[...]

Not here.

I have ben using Jaws since 1999 and in all this time this keystroke  on my systems only unloads Jaws but does not restart it.

From: Dan Longmore [mailto:danlongmore44@...]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Friday, March 6, 2020, 7:18 PM

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>

I have ben using Jaws since 1999 and in all this time this keystroke  on
my systems only unloads Jaws but does not restart it.

David Griffith

Windows 10

<mailto:alapointe89@...>> wrote:

[...]

Dan Longmore

Yes, that does work. Why I thought it did not work was because JAWS took a long time to reload. Then again, it's JAWS.

Dan