moderated Braille Printers suggestion

Andrew J. LaPointe

                Hello, I want to find a used Braille Printer within reasonable price.   I would prefer interpoint but, not absolutely necessary.  Of course, a new printer would be nice, the cost is not.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a BRL printer tht won’t fall apart before my eyes?

I know where I can borrow one but, it is about 12-15 years old and is either parallel or seriel port.  I am looking around for a converter cable to USB and it is not recommended.  Not even sure if I can find the drivers.  Thanks for any help here.  Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

Chris Hill

The cool thing about braille printing is that drivers aren't really necessary.  Set it up as text only and print to it with the right software and you're good to go.  The hardest thing is finding a usb to parallel or serial adapter that is something more than complete junk.  If you ever run onto an index basic, it might be worth your consideration.  I bought a used one, and I'm pretty happy with it.

On 3/5/2020 16:07, Andrew J. LaPointe wrote:

                Hello, I want to find a used Braille Printer within reasonable price.   I would prefer interpoint but, not absolutely necessary.  Of course, a new printer would be nice, the cost is not.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a BRL printer tht won’t fall apart before my eyes?

I know where I can borrow one but, it is about 12-15 years old and is either parallel or seriel port.  I am looking around for a converter cable to USB and it is not recommended.  Not even sure if I can find the drivers.  Thanks for any help here.  Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

Suratim

hello,
I recommend you using Basic-DV5 braille embosser
I have one and happy with it

--
best and regards,
Suratim

Andrew J. LaPointe

Can you give me an idea of cost? Also, how sharp is the braille? Thank you for replying. Andy and Shubert

[...]

Editor, Commission Commuter Update and the Safe Disabled Traveler
Notebook

Talking Information Center

--
best and regards,
Suratim
Official Telelight's reseller
twitter: @suratim
facebook: fb.me/suratiminfo
whatsapp / telegram: +6281535213878
telegram channel: https://t.me/aksesibel

Andrew J. LaPointe

How good is the braille?  How is the cost on this one?  Thank you. Andy and Shubert

[...]

Brian Buhrow

hello. The Index Braille Basic also has a network connection, so
you don't actually need a parallel or Serial to USB adapter if you have an
ethernet jack on your home network that is available. If you don't have
such a jack available, I suggest the Prolyphic USB to Serial adapter to
attach to the serial port of the printer. The Prolyphic adapters work with
Mac, Windows, Linux and other OS's, as well as having drivers that are
easily installed, if they're not already available when you plug it in.

Hope that helps.
-Brian

On Mar 5, 4:43pm, "Chris Hill" wrote:
} --------------0AE75FDA6C5D1787F2A0EE3B
}
} The cool thing about braille printing is that drivers aren't really
} necessary. Set it up as text only and print to it with the right
} software and you're good to go. The hardest thing is finding a usb to
} parallel or serial adapter that is something more than complete junk.
} If you ever run onto an index basic, it might be worth your
} consideration. I bought a used one, and I'm pretty happy with it.
}
}
}
}
} On 3/5/2020 16:07, Andrew J. LaPointe wrote:
} >
[...]
} <html>
} <head>
} <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
} charset=windows-1252">
} </head>
} <body>
} <p>The cool thing about braille printing is that drivers aren't
} really necessary. Set it up as text only and print to it with the
} right software and you're good to go. The hardest thing is
} finding a usb to parallel or serial adapter that is something more
} than complete junk. If you ever run onto an index basic, it might
} be worth your consideration. I bought a used one, and I'm pretty
} happy with it.</p>
} <p><br>
} </p>
} <p><br>
} </p>
} <p><br>
} </p>
} <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/5/2020 16:07, Andrew J. LaPointe
} wrote:<br>
} </div>
} <blockquote type="cite"
} cite="mid:073801d5f33a$7cd738f0$7685aad0$@comcast.net">
} <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
} medium)">
} <div class="WordSection1">
} <p class="MsoNormal"> Hello, I want to find a
} used Braille Printer within reasonable price. I would prefer
} interpoint but, not absolutely necessary. Of course, a new
} printer would be nice, the cost is not. Does anyone have a
} suggestion on a BRL printer tht wont fall apart before my
} eyes?</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">I know where I can borrow one but, it is
} about 12-15 years old and is either parallel or seriel port.
} I am looking around for a converter cable to USB and it is not
} recommended. Not even sure if I can find the drivers. Thanks
} for any help here. Andy and Shubert</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal"></p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Andrew J. LaPointe, President</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Friends of the Salem Council on Aging</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">34 Raymond Ave.</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Salem, MA. 01970</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal"></p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Editor, Commission Commuter Update and the
} Safe Disabled Traveler Notebook</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal">Talking Information Center</p>
} <p class="MsoNormal"></p>
} </div>
}
} </blockquote>
} </body>
} </html>
}
} <div width="1" style="color:white;clear:both"></div>
}
}
} --------------0AE75FDA6C5D1787F2A0EE3B--
-- End of excerpt from "Chris Hill"

Judy Redlich <jredlichspeaks@...>

I have a Juliet that’s about 20 years old and I downloaded a copy of braille blaster software for it.  I bought a a serial to U.S.B. cable.  The only thing I still have to figure out are the margins.  Using that free software enabled me to not even both with the old version of Duxbury.

When I have more time, I’ll play with the margins.  Just jsomething to consider.

Judy

                Hello, I want to find a used Braille Printer within reasonable price.   I would prefer interpoint but, not absolutely necessary.  Of course, a new printer would be nice, the cost is not.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a BRL printer tht won’t fall apart before my eyes?

I know where I can borrow one but, it is about 12-15 years old and is either parallel or seriel port.  I am looking around for a converter cable to USB and it is not recommended.  Not even sure if I can find the drivers.  Thanks for any help here.  Andy and Shubert

Andrew J. LaPointe, President

Friends of the Salem Council on Aging

34 Raymond Ave.

Salem, MA. 01970

Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

Andrew J. LaPointe

What company produces the Juliett and Romeo Printers?  Are they still in business you think?  Thank you for this information.  Andy and Shubert

[...]

Index basic versions produce very good braille, and they aren't cheap.  I did manage to come onto a used one a couple of years back and save a significant amount of money.  I think it was about $3,000 for this version 4 I have.

On 3/5/2020 18:10, Andrew J. LaPointe wrote:

[...]

Milton Ota

Hello,

The current manufacturer of the Romeo and Julilette braille embossers are handled by Humanware. They took over sales and servicing from Enabling Technology, Inc. over about 10 years ago.

They do have phone tech support and offices in the United States, based in New York. Go to their website for more information.

http://www.humanware.com/

HTH

[...]

Hi, thanks so much for this info.  I called Humanware and gave me prices and the contact to someone that can give me details on the Romeo and julliette emboses.  Andy and Shubert