Topics

moderated Unable to activate button menu-paypal.com

Norma A. Boge

Hey group,

I’m using Jaws 2020 and I’ve tried to activate a menu button on Paypal. Specifically, it’s in Invoice Activity. I’ve tried with Edge, Firefox 72.0.1  and Chrome 80.0.3987.122. Here’s the speech history:

Column 10
Actions
Remind
Button‑ 
button menu‑ collapsed‑
Column 11

I’ve tried PC, Jaws and Touch cursors and from the list of buttons. It doesn’t open a menu, it just takes me to the detail page of the selected invoice. (No go with NVDA, either, for what it’s worth.)

I need to cancel the invoice, and I read that option is in this menu I can’t get to open.

Ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Norma

Jason White

Have you tried a simulated left mouse click?

I’m using Jaws 2020 and I’ve tried to activate a menu button on Paypal. Specifically, it’s in Invoice Activity. I’ve tried with Edge, Firefox 72.0.1  and Chrome 80.0.3987.122. Here’s the speech history:

Column 10
Actions
Remind
Button‑ 
button menu‑ collapsed‑
Column 11

I’ve tried PC, Jaws and Touch cursors and from the list of buttons. It doesn’t open a menu, it just takes me to the detail page of the selected invoice. (No go with NVDA, either, for what it’s worth.)

I need to cancel the invoice, and I read that option is in this menu I can’t get to open.

Ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Norma

Norma A. Boge

Just tried it, seems to do nothing. Thanks none the less, Norma

Have you tried a simulated left mouse click?

I’m using Jaws 2020 and I’ve tried to activate a menu button on Paypal. Specifically, it’s in Invoice Activity. I’ve tried with Edge, Firefox 72.0.1  and Chrome 80.0.3987.122. Here’s the speech history:

Column 10
Actions
Remind
Button‑ 
button menu‑ collapsed‑
Column 11

I’ve tried PC, Jaws and Touch cursors and from the list of buttons. It doesn’t open a menu, it just takes me to the detail page of the selected invoice. (No go with NVDA, either, for what it’s worth.)

I need to cancel the invoice, and I read that option is in this menu I can’t get to open.

Ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Norma

Robin Frost

Hi,

Have you tried clicking on he element when in touch cursor mode or when virtual pc cursor is turned off? Sometimes Pay Pal works better in some instances when out of virtual pc cursor.

Robin

On 3/3/2020 5:52 PM, Norma A. Boge wrote:

Hey group,

I’m using Jaws 2020 and I’ve tried to activate a menu button on Paypal. Specifically, it’s in Invoice Activity. I’ve tried with Edge, Firefox 72.0.1  and Chrome 80.0.3987.122. Here’s the speech history:

Column 10
Actions
Remind
Button‑ 
button menu‑ collapsed‑
Column 11

I’ve tried PC, Jaws and Touch cursors and from the list of buttons. It doesn’t open a menu, it just takes me to the detail page of the selected invoice. (No go with NVDA, either, for what it’s worth.)

I need to cancel the invoice, and I read that option is in this menu I can’t get to open.

Ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Norma

Arkadiusz Świętnicki

Have you tried activating the button with your virtual cursor off? Also, have you got the option simulating left click on enter enabled?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 12:05 AM Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

Have you tried a simulated left mouse click?

I’m using Jaws 2020 and I’ve tried to activate a menu button on Paypal. Specifically, it’s in Invoice Activity. I’ve tried with Edge, Firefox 72.0.1  and Chrome 80.0.3987.122. Here’s the speech history:

Column 10
Actions
Remind
Button‑ 
button menu‑ collapsed‑
Column 11

I’ve tried PC, Jaws and Touch cursors and from the list of buttons. It doesn’t open a menu, it just takes me to the detail page of the selected invoice. (No go with NVDA, either, for what it’s worth.)

I need to cancel the invoice, and I read that option is in this menu I can’t get to open.

Ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Norma

Where do you find “simulating left click on enter”? I searched in Jaws Settings Centre for Chrome as well as the default and also the quick settings when Chrome was open and neither “click” Nor “simulate” or “click” brings up such an option.

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Norma,
Have you tried the space bar on the button?
Also, did you do insert + F5 and down arrow to the desired button?
Another thing to try is to get to the button and do insert + #3 (above the E key) which is enter key to pass through
and then try enter and/or space bar.
HTH.
Glenn

[...]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I’ll be trying them tomorrow and will post the results. Good night, Norma

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Norma,

To add to the suggestions in the thread below, you might try any of the following:

Maximize the webpage and then press JAWS key+escape to “repaint” it.

Unload and reload JAWS.

Unload JAWS 2020 and, if you have one on your system, try an earlier version. I recently noticed that JAWS 18 can accomplish some tasks that JAWS 2020 won’t.

If you haven’t already, reboot your system and start over.

For the record, I haven’t recently had accessibility problems with PayPal, but I may not have needed to execute this particular command.

PayPal has, or used to have, a recognize accessible technology expert on staff. If you can’t resolve this problem, I’m guessing they’d be receptive to working with you, especially with cancelling this transaction.

I’m sorry you’re experiencing such frustration. It’s awful when you reach the button you need and it won’t work.

[...]

The only thing I ever had trouble with in using PayPal is the resolution of a bad transaction, where I needed to get refunded.
I had to finish the process via telephone, and that was all automated.
Glenn

[...]

Hi Adrian and all on this thread,

Using J2020, landing on the problem button, Jaws says:

“Actions Remind Button button menu‑ collapsed‑ menu”

So, when I activated the button, I was actually hitting the remind button instead of opening the menu.

Using J2019, Jaws correctly reads the remind and menu buttons as 2 separate, one below the other. Why J2020 didn’t see this, I don’t know. But I definitely need to somehow adjust J2020 so this mistake does not happen again.

I will take the remainder of my problem directly to Paypal because although I am hitting enter on the cancel button, I’m not getting the confirm dialogue so something is still hinky.

With J2020 I’ve experienced Jaws mistakenly reading as outlined above, but the confusion didn’t create such a major problem until now.  If anyone has a fix for this in particular, please let me know.

Someone on the list once said that running the most current version of Jaws gives one the best accessibility. I disagree. And I think a number of others on this list would, as well.

Thanks again everyone,

[...]

Hey Norma,

Try pressing Insert+X so the smart mode is set to off. Then try and browse to your button with B, down or right arrow and hit it with space.

Pozdrawiam,

Arkadiusz Świętnicki AKA. Nuno