moderated Copying contents of a sheet

John Doering

Hello:

I need to copy the contents of a sheet and paste the contents into another sheet in another workbook.  The trick is that I do not know which cells in the sheet contain data.

Any suggestions on how to find out what range of cells have data.  Then the best way to select that area to copy to the new sheet.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Jschliff@...

Hi John,

Place your cursor on the first or beginning cell

Press shift + Ctrl then the end button.  This highlights all your cells from the first cell to the last cell.  All rows and columns in your range will be highlighted.

Then press ctrl + C to copy the cells

Move to your new sheet locate the cell where you would like to begin your paste

Once you have your cursor where you want to begin press Ctrl +V to paste

If you have special paste requirements use the application button instead of the Ctrl + V combo keystrokes.

Joseph

I need to copy the contents of a sheet and paste the contents into another sheet in another workbook.  The trick is that I do not know which cells in the sheet contain data.

Any suggestions on how to find out what range of cells have data.  Then the best way to select that area to copy to the new sheet.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Matthew Bullis

Hello, the unique thing with Excel is that if you press control A for
select all, it will select only the current data range, stopping where
there are blank cells, regardless if there are more cells in the
worksheet. If you press control A a second time, the entire worksheet
will be selected. Then you can copy and paste into another worksheet.
In the Home ribbon under format cells, there are a bunch of options
for renaming and creating worksheets, and you'll want to rename that
second worksheet quickly, as well as make alterations to the copied
set of data. In that list of options is the copy worksheet option, but
the method I used above works as well.
Matthew

On 3/3/20, Jschliff@gmail.com <Jschliff@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the
content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the
basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently
confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are

Ann Byrne

Another way to do it is to press alt+h, then o, then m to get into the move/copy sheet dialog. Select the sheet you want to copy before, then Tab once to 'copy' and check it. At 12:12 PM 3/3/2020, you wrote:

[...]

<https://ibvi.org>https://ibvi.org

[]

Van Lant, Robin

All of these methods are useful for copying the entire sheet.  Can we touch on the other part of John’s question?  That is, if you know there is data in the sheet, but you aren’t sure where it starts, is there a way to find the first cell with data in it?  For example, I was organizing an event recently and the hotel was sending me the list of room reservation details for my attendees.  It appears the worksheet was formatted to look pretty when printed with a logo graphic at the top,  What was tricky was that it took me a while to find the first cell with data in it, as they had left the first few columns and top few rows empty for visual appeal.  I was going row by row down the worksheet  trying to find the first  cell with meaningful data in it so that I could copy it to my own planning file, which was somewhere around c15.  If you know one of the cell’s contents, I suppose you can do a find that then jump to the top of the row or columns, but I wonder if there is another way.

Robin

I need to copy the contents of a sheet and paste the contents into another sheet in another workbook.  The trick is that I do not know which cells in the sheet contain data.

Any suggestions on how to find out what range of cells have data.  Then the best way to select that area to copy to the new sheet.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Matthew Bullis

If you use control and any arrow key, you'll land on the first filled cell in that direction. Using control shift and the arrow keys will select that area. If you're on A13 and you press control shift down arrow, and there's a list that goes down to row 75, then your selection will be from A13 to A75.

Matthew

[...]

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Ctrl+Shift+D lists all visible cells with data.  With the program maximized, you should be able often to find the first cell with data.

[...]

Jim Pursley

Didn't work for me, Mike, but JAWS key/shift/s brings up a handy little list of things you can do with spreadshheets (assume Excel though I did  not see the original question) including move/copy. I've found it faster and easier to do the cursor in A1/control A to highlight the whole sheet, control C to copy and on the new sheet in A1to press control v and I'm done. an

On 3/3/2020 6:59 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
[...]

Pramit

Hi John,

While doing copy and paste through excel the spaces in between also gets copied and moved. However on the pasted data you can apply filter and un-select the blanks, then you are only left with cells with data but this too works on column by column basis.

Hope this helps!

Pramit