Topics

moderated does jfw work very well with firefox?

Hank William Merchant

Hello,

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

David Ingram

Hi how are you? I had better success with jaws 18 because I don't think that jaws 16 worked well with firefox!

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

Pramit

Hello Hank

JFW works very well with firefox. you don't need to install any jfw
script to use it with firefox.

Regards
Pramit

On 2/28/20, Hank William Merchant <hank_w@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works
very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts
before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I
can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

JM Casey

You need at least JAWS 2018 to use Firefox, now, since the advent of Firefox Quantum (version 57 and up). Some people may tell you to use Firefox 52 ESR, but that version is no longer the ESR and is no longer supported with security patches or anything, really. You should really keep your browsers updated moreso than other programmes, since they are always accessing things on the internet, running code etc.

Hi how are you? I had better success with jaws 18 because I don't think that jaws 16 worked well with firefox!

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

Cohn, Jonathan

Well, JAWS works well  the version of Firefox that came out about the same time as the version of JAWS. Don't expect JAWS 2018 to work with Firefox 70. There were major changes to Firefox in around version 57, and JAWS and NVDA  had to  completely change the way they worked with the browser when that occurred. So if you are unable to upgrade past JAWS 18 then I suggest you don't try working with modern Browsers. And if you don't work with modern browsers then you might find parts of the web unusable . Though there is a new version of Lynx that recently came out.

JM Casey

JAWS 2018 does work with Firefox 70, but JAWS 18, of course, won’t, as you implied.

Lynx..wow,. Those were oddly my favouite internet browsing days, over the old telnet and linux shell. Haha

Well, JAWS works well  the version of Firefox that came out about the same time as the version of JAWS. Don't expect JAWS 2018 to work with Firefox 70. There were major changes to Firefox in around version 57, and JAWS and NVDA  had to  completely change the way they worked with the browser when that occurred. So if you are unable to upgrade past JAWS 18 then I suggest you don't try working with modern Browsers. And if you don't work with modern browsers then you might find parts of the web unusable . Though there is a new version of Lynx that recently came out.

Glenn / Lenny

Works fine.

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

Hank William Merchant

Hello Glen,

Thanks for your email reply. What version are you using of Jaws with firefox?I have heard that when you are first setting up firefox that you need to first create a account in firefox and that each time after that when you go on the internet with your setup firefox that you need to sign into your firefox account to be able to do anything you want to do on the internet using your setup firefox browser. Can you maybe please tell me if this is the case that you first need to create a acount in firefox and then need to sign into this firefox account each time you open firefox to be able to successfully do anything on the internet? Any help that maybe you can give me on this would be very much appreciated. Much thanks in advance for any help with this.

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

JM Casey

You do not need to create an account with Mozilla.

[...]

Hi Hank,
I am currently using 2019, but I was using it with 18 with no problems.
And no, you don't need to create an account, I've never heard of that.
It's very similar to setting up IE or Chrome, in fact, you can use it just fine without even setting it up, only installing it.
Then you might want to set a home page, which is in preferences.
Good luck.

Glenn

[...]

The advantage of having an account is that if you use two devices or if you ever get another computer that all you have to do is log in and all your history, extensions, bookmarks and so on are synced between devices or to a new computer.