Topics

moderated does jfw work very well with firefox?

Hank William Merchant

Hello,

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

David Ingram

Hi how are you? I had better success with jaws 18 because I don't think that jaws 16 worked well with firefox!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 27, 2020 6:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: does jfw work very well with firefox?

Hello,

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

Pramit

Hello Hank

JFW works very well with firefox. you don't need to install any jfw
script to use it with firefox.

Regards
Pramit

On 2/28/20, Hank William Merchant <hank_w@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am still using Jfw 18, can someone maybe please let me know if jfw works
very well or maybe not with firefox? Do I maybe need to install jfw scripts
before I am able to use jfw with firefox? Thanks in advance for any help I
can get with this.

All the best,

Hank

JM Casey

You need at least JAWS 2018 to use Firefox, now, since the advent of Firefox Quantum (version 57 and up). Some people may tell you to use Firefox 52 ESR, but that version is no longer the ESR and is no longer supported with security patches or anything, really. You should really keep your browsers updated moreso than other programmes, since they are always accessing things on the internet, running code etc.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Ingram
Sent: February 28, 2020 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: does jfw work very well with firefox?

Hi how are you? I had better success with jaws 18 because I don't think that jaws 16 worked well with firefox!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Cohn, Jonathan

Well, JAWS works well  the version of Firefox that came out about the same time as the version of JAWS. Don't expect JAWS 2018 to work with Firefox 70. There were major changes to Firefox in around version 57, and JAWS and NVDA  had to  completely change the way they worked with the browser when that occurred. So if you are unable to upgrade past JAWS 18 then I suggest you don't try working with modern Browsers. And if you don't work with modern browsers then you might find parts of the web unusable . Though there is a new version of Lynx that recently came out.

JM Casey

JAWS 2018 does work with Firefox 70, but JAWS 18, of course, won’t, as you implied.

Lynx..wow,. Those were oddly my favouite internet browsing days, over the old telnet and linux shell. Haha

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: February 28, 2020 11:52 AM

Well, JAWS works well  the version of Firefox that came out about the same time as the version of JAWS. Don't expect JAWS 2018 to work with Firefox 70. There were major changes to Firefox in around version 57, and JAWS and NVDA  had to  completely change the way they worked with the browser when that occurred. So if you are unable to upgrade past JAWS 18 then I suggest you don't try working with modern Browsers. And if you don't work with modern browsers then you might find parts of the web unusable . Though there is a new version of Lynx that recently came out.

Glenn / Lenny

Works fine.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2020 6:34 PM

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Hank William Merchant

Hello Glen,

Thanks for your email reply. What version are you using of Jaws with firefox?I have heard that when you are first setting up firefox that you need to first create a account in firefox and that each time after that when you go on the internet with your setup firefox that you need to sign into your firefox account to be able to do anything you want to do on the internet using your setup firefox browser. Can you maybe please tell me if this is the case that you first need to create a acount in firefox and then need to sign into this firefox account each time you open firefox to be able to successfully do anything on the internet? Any help that maybe you can give me on this would be very much appreciated. Much thanks in advance for any help with this.

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 2:43 PM

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

JM Casey

You do not need to create an account with Mozilla.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hank William Merchant
Sent: February 28, 2020 6:40 PM

Hello Glen,

Thanks for your email reply. What version are you using of Jaws with firefox?I have heard that when you are first setting up firefox that you need to first create a account in firefox and that each time after that when you go on the internet with your setup firefox that you need to sign into your firefox account to be able to do anything you want to do on the internet using your setup firefox browser. Can you maybe please tell me if this is the case that you first need to create a acount in firefox and then need to sign into this firefox account each time you open firefox to be able to successfully do anything on the internet? Any help that maybe you can give me on this would be very much appreciated. Much thanks in advance for any help with this.

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Hank,
I am currently using 2019, but I was using it with 18 with no problems.
And no, you don't need to create an account, I've never heard of that.
It's very similar to setting up IE or Chrome, in fact, you can use it just fine without even setting it up, only installing it.
Then you might want to set a home page, which is in preferences.
Good luck.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 5:39 PM

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

The advantage of having an account is that if you use two devices or if you ever get another computer that all you have to do is log in and all your history, extensions, bookmarks and so on are synced between devices or to a new computer.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 8:42 AM

Hi Hank,

It's very similar to setting up IE or Chrome, in fact, you can use it just fine without even setting it up, only installing it.

Good luck.

Glenn

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Cristóbal

Also, with Firefox Send, you can upload files up to 2.5 GB and password protect, set to expire after X amount of days or downloads.

Chrome’s now my main browser, but having a Firefox account is handy. No different really than signing into your Google account in Chrome on different machines I suppose.

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 8:44 AM

The advantage of having an account is that if you use two devices or if you ever get another computer that all you have to do is log in and all your history, extensions, bookmarks and so on are synced between devices or to a new computer.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 8:42 AM

Hi Hank,

Good luck.

Glenn

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Dave Durber

Hello Hank and everyone:

I have been using Water Fox for several months. One of the main reasons I like it, is that you do not need to have an account, in order to use it, in that way, it is like using Internet Explorer.

HTH

Dave Durber

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 11:39 PM

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Dave Durber

Hello Glen:

The last time I installed FireFox, I got prompts to sign up for an account. I could not find an option to bypass the sign up for an account.

Dave durber

Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 4:41 PM

Hi Hank,
Good luck.

Glenn

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Hank William Merchant

Hello back Dave and everyone,

First of all, thanks very much for all your very helpful replys to my firefox questions. So I don’t need to create an account in firefox when I first start using it after I get a newer version of Jaws to be able to successfully use it?

I am also wondering once I have installed firefox, what are the menu steps I need to do to enter my internet provider user id and password info so I can successfully access the internet when I start firefox each time to do things on the internet? Thanks very much in advance for any help I can maybe get with this.

Warmest regards,
All the best,

Jaws18 user  
Hank

Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 7:40 AM

Hello Hank and everyone:

I have been using Water Fox for several months. One of the main reasons I like it, is that you do not need to have an account, in order to use it, in that way, it is like using Internet Explorer.

HTH

Dave Durber

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Nermin

Hi Hank,

you don’t really need to enter any provider data. When you’re connected to the internet, the browser will automatically display websites, unless you need a proxi. Or are you refering to checking provider e-mail using your browser?

Regards,
Nermin

JM Casey

I don’t know where this idea that you need to set up an account with Mozilla to use Firefox came from. Yes, the Mozilla Firefox default webpage that loads when you first start the programme offers you the opportunity to create a mozilla account and lists a few perks for doing so, but it really has nothing to do with whether you can use the browser or not. I have never bothered to do it, though I may someday – there seem to be some privacy related advantagesa nd, after all, I have a google account which is always signed in with Chrome – can’t be any worse than that. :D

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: March 1, 2020 6:40 AM

Hello Hank and everyone:

HTH

Dave Durber

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

JM Casey

That’s just a webpage. Hit ctrl-l to go to another page, and go to preferences and assign your own default homepage, and you won’t see that again – unless the sign up option is on the toolbar somewhere and I can’t remember. In any case, you shouldn’t have to worry about bypassing it…

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: March 1, 2020 6:49 AM

Hello Glen:

The last time I installed FireFox, I got prompts to sign up for an account. I could not find an option to bypass the sign up for an account.

Dave durber

Hi Hank,

Good luck.

Glenn

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Glenn / Lenny

It might be how you download it.
Maybe install an older stub and it will upgrade to the latest.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2020 5:49 AM

Hello Glen:

Dave durber

Hi Hank,
Good luck.

Glenn

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank

Glenn / Lenny

Hank,
Maybe someone has already answered this, but you are already connected to the Internet when you boot up the computer, so you don't need to enter any of that into your browser.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2020 7:22 AM

Hello back Dave and everyone,

First of all, thanks very much for all your very helpful replys to my firefox questions. So I don’t need to create an account in firefox when I first start using it after I get a newer version of Jaws to be able to successfully use it?

I am also wondering once I have installed firefox, what are the menu steps I need to do to enter my internet provider user id and password info so I can successfully access the internet when I start firefox each time to do things on the internet? Thanks very much in advance for any help I can maybe get with this.

Warmest regards,
All the best,

Jaws18 user  
Hank

Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 7:40 AM

Hello Hank and everyone:

HTH

Dave Durber

Hello Glen,

All the best,

Jaws18 user Hank

Works fine.

Hello,

All the best,

Hank