From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, February 2, 2020 4:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Recommendation: Open source screenreader program

Hi,

NVDA is open-source. For further details, let’s talk offlist and please subscribe to NVDA users list located at nvda.groups.io/g/nvda.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Mcdevitt
Sent: Sunday, February 2, 2020 1:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hello list members:

Since retiring I have been involved in a number of volunteer activities. Recently I had a conversation with a local agency who is looking for a volunteer to assist clients in completing an online registration form as part of an interview process regarding potential receipt of specific services.

I understand that I cannot legally use one of my additional Jaws licenses because I have the Home version. Truth to tell, other than JAWS, I have never really worked with any other screenreader programs. Some years ago, Idid a cursory  review of NVDA. I understand that Narrator has improved in some measurable ways. I know that there are other programs out there.

For purposes of this opportunity, where I would need to load a screenreading program onto a laptop in order to conduct the interviews, I am looking for any recommendations of open-source screen Reader programs.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Best,  Justin

John Covici

You could use one of your Jaws settings temporarily, if all you need
is the screen reader for a limited time and ask for a reset as well.

On Sun, 02 Feb 2020 16:13:10 -0500,
Joe wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
I would echo the NVDA choice. You can find a great deal of documentation on
the screen reader. Look at NV Access https://www.nvaccess.org/ and
Narrator is also a good choice as well with good documentation on its use.

Joe

Picture of Owl with Mortar Board and Computer

Dr. Joe L. Todd CVRT

Phone: 616.951.2142

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

N K Shackelford

Definitely N V D A. Just study the key commands, of which some are same as JAWS and some not; very easy.

Nance

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

NVDA as well.

I find, contrary to many beliefs, that having a quote on quote arsenal of screen readers is very useful in my daily life, just as the ability to work with multiple web browsers is too.

As previously stated, many of the core functions of NVDA are similar to Jaws – one thing to keep in mind is how NVDA’s screen review works vs. object navigation versus the Jaws cursor and touch cursor.

[...]

Michael Munn

I’m a Jaws user because it's a screen reader that my school provide me and it's also my favorite screen reader of choice. would also suggest NVDA if you want open source screen reader beside Narrator. I The commands like other users has stated, it similar to Jaws.