moderated 2 Issues while using JAWS in Word

Rahul Bajaj

Hi, All,

I use Word 16, through office 365, and JAWS 2019. Have also tried
2020, and the following 2 issues persist. They are:

First, The option to edit, delete and reply to a comment with shift+f
10, or the applications key, has now gone. Even if you are at the spot
where JAWS says 'comment', pressing these keystrokes does not allow
you to interact with the comments at all.

Second, when there are footnotes in the documents, instead of reading
out their number, JAWS sometimes says 'superscript'. I know for a fact
that it is a footnote and not a superscript, but JAWS does not say so.

Thanks.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

david

See if the notes below help:

From: Tim Ford
There is a very handy JAWS method to more easily accomplish the task of reading comments imbedded in a Word document.

When in the document, hold down the Windows key, and press the, semicolon key. That brings up a nice and clean JAWS box in which you can arrow to and
press enter on any of the four options, comments, footnotes, endnotes, or revisions. Pressing enter on comments will give you what you want, a nice clean
box in which the author of the note is shown, and the full text of the comment is displayed, and you can easily read the text with the usual arrow reading
commands. (You can copy and paste any of that material, which is what I would do to put together a document back to the commenter, as opposed to trying
to enter your own comments directly into the base Word document.)

For each comment, there is a link you can press, and that takes you to that part of the document.

The above works the same for the four categories, comments, footnotes, endnotes, revisions.

The above works for me, and I cannot imagine an easier system for use with JAWS. Good luck.
Tim Ford

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.

I use Word 16, through office 365, and JAWS 2019. Have also tried
2020, and the following 2 issues persist. They are:

First, The option to edit, delete and reply to a comment with shift+f
10, or the applications key, has now gone. Even if you are at the spot
where JAWS says 'comment', pressing these keystrokes does not allow
you to interact with the comments at all.

Second, when there are footnotes in the documents, instead of reading
out their number, JAWS sometimes says 'superscript'. I know for a fact
that it is a footnote and not a superscript, but JAWS does not say so.

Thanks.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Jason White

The comment-related options are present if the cursor is inside the text of the comment (e.g., Alt+r, n), and you use Shift+F10 to access the context menu.

On 1/30/20, 04:16, "Rahul Bajaj" <main@jfw.groups.io on behalf of rahul.bajaj1038@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, All,

I use Word 16, through office 365, and JAWS 2019. Have also tried
2020, and the following 2 issues persist. They are:

First, The option to edit, delete and reply to a comment with shift+f
10, or the applications key, has now gone. Even if you are at the spot
where JAWS says 'comment', pressing these keystrokes does not allow
you to interact with the comments at all.

Second, when there are footnotes in the documents, instead of reading
out their number, JAWS sometimes says 'superscript'. I know for a fact
that it is a footnote and not a superscript, but JAWS does not say so.

Thanks.

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Leo

Hi Rahul,

I got my reasons to suspect that what's happening to you is more related to the version of office you are using than anything else. I had problems working with office 2016.

Currently, I'm working with word 2019 and jaws 2020 and I'm able to reply to any comment. Besides, Whenever jaws comes across a footnote, it verbalizes it correctly. Footnote one, etc.

As for replying to the comments, you can try this:

First of all, be sure to go to the comment whether listing the comments, (control plus shift plus semi column) or listing the virtual items, (hold down windows key plus column).

However you do it, arrow down to find the comment you want to reply to, and hit enter.

Presently, press separately and one key followed by the other, alt plus r plus n.

I repeat, do not press this combination simultaneously, but one after the previous one.

Jaws now should announce that you're in the comment pain. All you have to do now is bringing up the context menu, and hopefully, you'll find the comments related options to reply, etc.

Best,

On 1/30/20, 04:16, "Rahul Bajaj" <main@jfw.groups.io on behalf of rahul.bajaj1038@...> wrote:

    Hi, All,

    I use Word 16, through office 365, and JAWS 2019. Have also tried
    2020, and the following 2 issues persist. They are:

    First, The option to edit, delete and reply to a comment with shift+f
    10, or the applications key, has now gone. Even if you are at the spot
    where JAWS says 'comment', pressing these keystrokes does not allow
    you to interact with the comments at all.

    Second, when there are footnotes in the documents, instead of reading
    out their number, JAWS sometimes says 'superscript'. I know for a fact
    that it is a footnote and not a superscript, but JAWS does not say so.

    Thanks.

    Best,
    Rahul

    Rahul Bajaj
    Candidate for the MPhil in Law
    Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
    University of Oxford

David Kingsbury

Hello,

Regardless of JAWS version, I have never found that when you attempted to reply to a comment, you could then later read the comment with JAWS in any consistent fashion. Theoretically, you should be able to do so, but the reality is different.

With footnotes, I am not sure from what you write whether JAWS is saying superscript or not. Every footnote number is a superscript so you want to hear that information. In any event, you can go into Quick settings with Insert v, type in “footnote” in the search box and down arrow to customize how you want JAWS to read footnote information back to you.

Regards,

David

Leo

what do you mean exactly?

I can perfectly read any comment that I want after replying to whichever comment I choose.

Best,