moderated Google Chrome Extensions

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

I am trying to familiarize myself with using extensions in Chrome. Frankly, I am surprised at how few useful extensions seem to be out there. Do any of you have extensions that you use regularly that are accessible with JAWS? Please let me know.

Thanks,

David

The Chrome Web Store has, literally, thousands of extensions.

I certainly can't speak to the accessibility of the vast majority of them, but people tend to try and use extensions that do what they need to have done.  I use uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Plus, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, Read Aloud (for demo purposes with clients), Google Translate, and Google Hangouts extensions.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

I use the Download Sound extension which can either play a sound when
the saving of a file has finished or use the TTS in Windows to announce
when the file has finished being saved. this lets you continue using
your computer while doing other things.

there's one called Sound Effects that adds sounds to events such as when
a link opens up in a tab or if it opens in a new window, and other
helpful sounds. the sounds can only be enabled (checked) or disabled
(unchecked), but there's one sound that needs to be enabled so the
others will play.

the All Clear Downloads for Chrome extension has an option to disable
the download status shelf so the progress of the saving of a download
will not be constantly announced by your screen reader while you use the
computer for something else like reading an article or researching.

uBlock origin and uBlock Origin Extra helps to block undesireable ads.

I don't go crazy with extensions, but others may have other suggestions
that might be intriguing.

I am trying to familiarize myself with using extensions in Chrome.
Frankly, I am surprised at how few useful extensions seem to be out
there. Do any of you have extensions that you use regularly that are
accessible with JAWS? Please let me know.

Thanks,

David

Mario

Brian, is uBlock Origin Plus a replacement for uBlock Origin Extra, or
are they the same? I'm wondering if I should remove uBO Extra for a more
up to date extension.

The Chrome Web Store has, literally, thousands of extensions.

I certainly can't speak to the accessibility of the vast majority of
them, but people tend to try and use extensions that do what they need
to have done.  I use uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Plus, Privacy Badger,
HTTPS Everywhere, Read Aloud (for demo purposes with clients), Google
Translate, and Google Hangouts extensions.

*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's
beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting
them./*

        ~ Joshua Liebman

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM, Mario wrote:
uBlock Origin Plus a replacement for uBlock Origin Extra
No, uBlock Origin Extra is the correct name of that extension.  I was looking at the icon presented rather than extension manager when I typed up my response and since it shows a plus sign in the center of the shield I gave an incorrect name.  Sorry for the confusion.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

oops. the Sound Effects extension is preceeded with the word Chrome, and
the Always Clear Download for Chrome is called Always Clear Downloads
for Chrome.

I am trying to familiarize myself with using extensions in Chrome.
Frankly, I am surprised at how few useful extensions seem to be out
there. Do any of you have extensions that you use regularly that are
accessible with JAWS? Please let me know.

Thanks,

David

David Kingsbury

Hello,

Thanks for these ideas. After sending my message yesterday, I found a good one. It's called Adblock for Youtube for getting rid of irritating ads.
David