moderated Seeking feedback on 40 and 80 cell displays

Rayn Darren

Greetings fellow Jaws users!

I'm a programmer and I'm in need of a new braille display. I currently have a Polaris and am unable to pair it to my computer due to technical issues with the unit. Therefore I'm in need of a new display, only a display this time as I don't make use of the other functions that come with a note-taking unit. To that end, I come to you fine people in hopes that someone will have some insight on displays.

I'm looking for feedback on 40 or 80 cell displays. I think perhaps the 80 cells will be too long for me, but since I need to read everything and every dot counts, 80 just might be what I need to be effective.  I've pretty much narrowed it to the BI/Brailliant or Focus models, but if anyone uses something else I'd gladly consider it as well.

Thank you all in advance,

Sarah

Richard Turner

The programmers I know use an 80 cell display so they don’t have to worry about the line length.

I know people who are happy with both the Humanware 80 and the Focus 80.

The Focus 5th generation 80 I think has some extra keys that can be programmed but I don’t know which ones or exactly how to do that

The Focus 80 also has the 8 braille input keys if that matters.

They are only about $200 difference in price.

Both are pushing close to $8,000.

If you have any local vendors that carry one or the other, you ought to request a demonstration.

HTH,

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

I'm a programmer and I'm in need of a new braille display. I currently have a Polaris and am unable to pair it to my computer due to technical issues with the unit. Therefore I'm in need of a new display, only a display this time as I don't make use of the other functions that come with a note-taking unit. To that end, I come to you fine people in hopes that someone will have some insight on displays.

I'm looking for feedback on 40 or 80 cell displays. I think perhaps the 80 cells will be too long for me, but since I need to read everything and every dot counts, 80 just might be what I need to be effective.  I've pretty much narrowed it to the BI/Brailliant or Focus models, but if anyone uses something else I'd gladly consider it as well.

Thank you all in advance,

Sarah

David Csercsics <bleeblat@...>

I have a BI 40 and it works quite well for programming. It's also very portable. I have found the cells to be very durable. It's also good for reading long documents quickly, so you may have joy with it as well.

JM Casey

The Focus 40 has the keys etc, too.

I mean, hell, if you have access to an 80 cell display and enough room on your desk….why wouldn’t you get one?

I have recently acquried both a used Focus 40 and an old Brailliant 80 display; the 80 cell display makes my desk a bit cramped and it has power and dot issues, but were it not for those things, I’d probably use it. I think especially for programmers being able to look at a single, lengthy line of text input would be pretty beneficial.

I'm a programmer and I'm in need of a new braille display. I currently have a Polaris and am unable to pair it to my computer due to technical issues with the unit. Therefore I'm in need of a new display, only a display this time as I don't make use of the other functions that come with a note-taking unit. To that end, I come to you fine people in hopes that someone will have some insight on displays.

I'm looking for feedback on 40 or 80 cell displays. I think perhaps the 80 cells will be too long for me, but since I need to read everything and every dot counts, 80 just might be what I need to be effective.  I've pretty much narrowed it to the BI/Brailliant or Focus models, but if anyone uses something else I'd gladly consider it as well.

Thank you all in advance,

Sarah

Rayn Darren

Thanks for the feedback.

Check out my web site at: <http://www.turner42.com/> www.turner42.com

I'm a programmer and I'm in need of a new braille display. I currently have a Polaris and am unable to pair it to my computer due to technical issues with the unit. Therefore I'm in need of a new display, only a display this time as I don't make use of the other functions that come with a note-taking unit. To that end, I come to you fine people in hopes that someone will have some insight on displays.

I'm looking for feedback on 40 or 80 cell displays. I think perhaps the 80 cells will be too long for me, but since I need to read everything and every dot counts, 80 just might be what I need to be effective. I've pretty much narrowed it to the BI/Brailliant or Focus models, but if anyone uses something else I'd gladly consider it as well.

Thank you all in advance,

Sarah

Rayn Darren

Thanks for the feedback. Durable is very good since the cat has a thing for keyboards!

On 1/27/2020 7:00 PM, David Csercsics wrote:
I have a BI 40 and it works quite well for programming. It's also very portable. I have found the cells to be very durable. It's also good for reading long documents quickly, so you may have joy with it as well.

Rayn Darren

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards 80 cells as well. a whole line really is appealing.

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com<http://www.turner42.com/>

I'm a programmer and I'm in need of a new braille display. I currently have a Polaris and am unable to pair it to my computer due to technical issues with the unit. Therefore I'm in need of a new display, only a display this time as I don't make use of the other functions that come with a note-taking unit. To that end, I come to you fine people in hopes that someone will have some insight on displays.

I'm looking for feedback on 40 or 80 cell displays. I think perhaps the 80 cells will be too long for me, but since I need to read everything and every dot counts, 80 just might be what I need to be effective. I've pretty much narrowed it to the BI/Brailliant or Focus models, but if anyone uses something else I'd gladly consider it as well.

Thank you all in advance,

Sarah

Jason White

I've used an 80-cell display in a work environment, and I can definitely recommend it. More cells are better (within a reasonable limit, of course).