Topics

moderated JAWS won't start after sign-in

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

Check in Settings > Apps > Startup if “Application File for Jaws” is turned on.

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

Joe

Hi Richard,

I have this problem as well running Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 Pro the in the latest version of the operating system.  I had been using only Jaws at start but when I use Zoom Text  as well Jaws started  after signing in.  This makes me think there is a problem at start up and the additional time required to start Zoom Text or Fusion allows for Jaws to start up properly.

Picture of Owl with Mortar Board and Computer

Dr. Joe L. Todd CVRT

                Phone: 616.951.2142

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  Yes, I had the same problem with JAWS 2019.  Both at log on and after getting to desktop.  In both instances I used the JAWS hot keys to force a start.  All my JAWS settings were correct and the Application file for JAWS was enabled on the start up menu. Freedom Scientific   said they were aware of some users having this issue.  I do not know if this occurs with 2020.  I took out my password at log on and after starting the computer JAWS starts all the time at my desktop.  So I don’t know if issue still exists with 2020 and I realize that most people need a log on password protected system.  I work from my home and so for me not necessary.

Mainly I want you to know that the issue is not just with you or your system.  I would report to Freedom and or Microsoft Disability Desk for any possible answers or trouble shoot.

Dan

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

I use Jaws 2020 and Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit and I have 4 PC’s at my business and a laptop at home and Jaws starts both at the login screen and after logon 100% of the time on all systems.

Have you checked that Jaws is turned on in Windows Settings (Windows Key + I) > Apps > Startup?

[...]

Anna Givens

Hey not sure my message will make it to the list...
I am wondering why anytime I send a question or something to this list it is not approved and never makes it to the list.
Hoping somebody sees this and can explain.

Thanks
Anna

[...]

Sending this to the list as well as you directly, but your message below did make it to the list just fine.

Keep in mind that not every question generates answers especially if it’s one where nobody knows the answer.

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

Dan Longmore

I’m glad you don’t have a problem on your system, but do realize that every system is a little different and on some systems this is an issue which Freedom Scientific is aware of.

Jason White

I once experienced this on a Windows 7 system. According to Freedom Scientific support, it was probably due to group policy settings (the machine was part of an Active Directory domain).

The solution was to copy the desktop shortcut for JAWS to shell:startup (which is where the user’s startup programs reside).

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 at 07:46
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

I’m glad you don’t have a problem on your system, but do realize that every system is a little different and on some systems this is an issue which Freedom Scientific is aware of.

Gmail Jonas

Did you try to add Jaws to your startup folder?

If not you may try to create a CMD to start Jaws and add that CMD to your startup!

I’m glad you don’t have a problem on your system, but do realize that every system is a little different and on some systems this is an issue which Freedom Scientific is aware of.

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Jason!

Well, I am not on any sort of a corporate network, but I wonder about your below solution.  Maybe something like it might work for me!  You say that the solution was to copy the JAWS shortcut into “shell:startup (which is where the user’s startup programs reside).”  What does this mean.  I am used to seeing something more like “C: . . . “ or a directory path.  So, does your below indicate something like that?

Thanks,

Richard

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 at 07:46
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

I’m glad you don’t have a problem on your system, but do realize that every system is a little different and on some systems this is an issue which Freedom Scientific is aware of.

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Sieghard!

Yes, I looked there and it says that the application file for JAWS is “on.”  Is there anywhere else that I should look?

[...]

Thanks Dan, I am having to do the hot key thing presently too until I resolve this issue.  I am glad to hear, though, that it is not just me!

[...]

Hi Joe!

Well, I have turned off “fast startup” but that has not fixed it.  This was suggested by FS.

[...]

Yes, typing Alt+d in File Explorer, followed by shell:startup will place you in the relevant directory. Try pasting the JAWS shortcut in there.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Longmore <danlongmore44@...>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 at 07:46
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

I’m glad you don’t have a problem on your system, but do realize that every system is a little different and on some systems this is an issue which Freedom Scientific is aware of.

Dan Longmore

Yes, I got the same answer turn off fast start up. That made no difference and in fact made things worse. I turned it back on

[...]

How did it make things worse? That is one I never heard before.

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

Dan Longmore

It made the start up issue for Jaws even worse and then Jaws would respond sluggishly for quite a bit. Turning off fast start up can affect many programs.

On Jan 29, 2020, at 12:31 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

How did it make things worse? That is one I never heard before.

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all updated.  After signing-in, JAWS does not start.  My laptop has two user accounts: Admin and Visitor.  Both are password protected.  I have set JAWS to always start at the logon screen (a.k.a., sign-in screen), and it does.  But, after sign-in JAWS does not start.  This is despite having both the Admin and Visitor accounts set to “always” start after login.

I have fiddled with this a lot but I cannot get it to work.  “Fast startup” is off.  I have tried many different settings under the JAWS Options > Basics > Automatically Start JAWS Settings screen, but nothing works.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Turner

I’m late to this thread, but this happens sometimes on my work machine running Windows 10 Pro.

However, here at home on Windows Home 64 bit, it has never happened.

Jaws startup is set the same, Start Jaws at the logon screen, after logon for all users, and the combo box says always for this user.

This is now with Jaws 2020 but it worked the same for me on Jaws 2019.

I chalk these kinds of inconsistencies up to Gremlins.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

Well, that is truly the first time I heard that disabling fast startup has these effects, many tech savvy people are quite agreed upon the fact that if there are issues it may be fast startup which causes them.

I prefer to have my computers boot from scratch and to “truly” shut down when I shut them down, also I like to hear the Windows Startup sound when I turn on my PC and you won’t hear it if fast startup is enabled or at least you hear it very inconsistently. Furthermore, all my computers have solid state drives and with fast startup they boot maybe 2 or 3 seconds faster so the time-saving reason of fast startup is pretty irrelevant for me.

Here is a good article which is pretty neutral as to the Pros and Cons:

How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

Best regards,

Sieghard