Topics

moderated reclassing list views in jaws?

Hello I am using a program

there are supposed to be to me list views and also there is some itims in those list views that you can up and down aro threw

when tabbing around jaws does not speak and you are unable to make selections and read what is in the list view.

can reclassing the parts of the program or scripting the program fore jaws fix this problem?

if so how do I go about doing this?

thanks

Hank

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
That will all depend on the application. The JAWS reclassification tool will change a "window' object understanding from JAWS. Most Windows development environments these days do not represent every interface as a "sub-window" of the Top most window, but would instead use a object to represent that contro. In these cases, it has been my experience that window class tool does not have any effect. One can of course script JAWS to do just about anything, it is just a matter of determining if it is worthwhile to do this. If your application shows the list items as children of a single object or window and if that object is visible to either MSAA or UIA interfaces, then you can fairly easily do coding that can be expected to work even after the application has the next upgrade. If however you are looking at things by the location on the screen, then the slightest change to the program will probably break all your scripts. For example Anti-Virus systems are notoriously hard to script for because they don't want malicious software reconfiguring them and allowing their code to remain active.
In any case, give it a try. Changing classes is fairly easy and can also be easily backed out.

Cohn, Jonathan

One other option before you look at scripting:
In the JAWS settings center, there is an option to force JAWS to use MSAA to interpret list views. I believe this is in the misc. section. So there is a slight possibility that if you toggle this for your application it will perform better.

Mike B

Just to point out that there are 2 Miscellaneous folders in the Settings Center.  1 is a sub-folder of, Web / HTML / PDFs, but the 2nd Miscellaneous folder is the 2nd from the bottom of the folder list, and this is where the MSAA option is located.  This is an application specific setting only.

Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: reclassing list views in jaws?