Topics

moderated Accessible forms in Word

Zel Iscel

Hello list,

Has anyone had experience creating accessible forms in Word using Jaws in Office 365? If so, can you please share how you go about it – set—up, etc?

Thank you and regards

Zel

This is way more than can be discussed with ease in an online forum.  But, yes, it can be done and the easiest way to do it is using a Microsoft Word Document Template with form fields which you protect after having created it such that the only alteration allowed is the filling in of those fields.

I find the legacy version of the form fields to be easier to work with and easier from an accessibility standpoint than the modern Active X versions, and unless they've been removed very, very recently, which is unlikely, they should still be available under Office 365.

I have several examples of such forms employing both text edit boxes and checkboxes that I'm happy to share with anyone who wants something to play with to see how they are put together.

It's very difficult to discuss this step-by-step in the abstract because there are a lot of steps, and skipping any one of them can give odd results, but it's not difficult.

If you'd like a copy of the forms I have, which were created for former blind clients of mine, please reply to me off-list using the Reply to Sender link at the end of this and every Groups.io message.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

george b <gbmagoo@...>

I would like the forms please.

thanks

[...]

Michael Mote

Hi there. I'm wondering how the new Microsoft Forms application would work. I have always struggled with this. My goal would be to create the form, and then convert it to a PDF, so they can be sent out without any changes being made to the form itself.

[...]

First, if anyone wants the forms please reply to me off-list using the Reply to Sender option.  I read here via the web, so I need an e-mail to come in to me so that I can actually send those along, and that only happens if you use the Reply to Sender link to send me a private message.

One does not have to convert MS-Word forms to any other type of file, including PDF.  When you're using a form, and have protected it correctly, the only thing that can be changed are the form fields, just like in PDF fillable form.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

As it turns out, my memory is faulty so I "kinda lied."   I had put together a brief tutorial on working with MS-Word forms for a former client and I do have the two forms that I send out as examples as well.

The one form is very short.  It is what one of the local school districts refers to as a bus note that is used to create a permission slip for a student to take a bus he or she would not typically take for special events and the like.  It has a number of fillable text fields as well as checkboxes, many of which would be used as a pair of a checkbox followed by filling in the reason after that "basic reason" checkbox is checked.  There is one field that is a date field, and that automatically fills in with today's date for whatever that is when you activate the template to create an instance of the actual form for filling out.  This could, of course, be changed to manual entry.

The second form is a 2-page abbreviated and anonymized version of a client intake form for a massage school.  The only section of this form that I did not complete is where there are checkboxes for medical conditions the person getting the massage should make the masseuse aware of beforehand.  I only did the first two, for arthritis and for allergies, and there would be thirty more, and three of those would have associated text boxes for explanations if they were to be checked.  I think that anyone who's ever filled out a medical history form gets the idea.  The first text box has a default "introducing myself and this form" text, which can be edited either in the form template itself or an actual instance of the form once that's created in case someone wanted to have a different sort of introduction during an initial session.

Both of these forms are in MS-Word document template (.dotx) file format and editing restriction for filling out forms is currently on, so if you select the file and activate it to make Word open it, you will end up with an instance of the fillable form.

Every checkbox and text field has both Status Bar and Help Key (F1) text associated with it, and they are usually the same text.  As you tab through the form your screen reader should announce each field so you know what you're checking/unchecking or what you're supposed to be filling in on the text box.  I always include the help key text because we all know that you could be tooling along, filling out a form, and get interrupted, then have no idea of exactly what you were sitting in when you were interrupted.  Hitting F1 will make the screen reader announce again what field you're in.

Please read through the Microsoft Word document entitled Working with Forms in Microsoft Word BEFORE you begin even trying to play around with the form templates.  I have just updated it to include ALT TEXT for the screen shots I included as well as some keyboard shortcut information for the pertinent bits of the Developer Tab of the ribbon, which is what you will use for editing restrictions.  This is a "quick and dirty" beginning guide, not a comprehensive treatise on the matter.

The two forms and the guide can be downloaded via the following link:  Creating Accessible MS-Word Forms.zip
Just unzip it and you'll get a folder by the same name with the three items mentioned in it.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Vaughn Brown

Thank you Brian for sharing. I look forward to using the guide.
I have a friend who helped me design forms in the past.
Kindly,
Vaughn

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1OgPQFnlE5CYVf7NzViyBr0L6USYuVoKB
)
Just unzip it and you'll get a folder by the same name with the three items
mentioned in it.

*Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's
beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting
them.*

~ Joshua Liebman

--
Kindly,
Vaughn Brown

Even though it's for Word 2010, it's worth looking at this document from the Maxwell School of Syracuse University:

Creating Forms in Word 2010 - maxwell.syr.edu

It is extensive in its detail and covers way more than the basics in my "quick and dirty" document.  Virtually everything in it should apply to later versions of Word.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

ratshtron

hmmm, I did the same thing about more than 20 years ago and wanted to see what you did so I could add your method to mine, lol! I had a friend in new york told that a form couldn't be created with word and I showed him it could. thanks.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 1/22/20 11:12 AM, Brian Vogel said:
As it turns out, my memory is faulty so I "kinda lied."  I had put together a brief tutorial on working with MS-Word forms for a former client and I do have the two forms that I send out as examples as well.The one form is very short. It is what one of the local school districts refers to as a bus note that is used to create a permission slip for a student to take a bus he or she would not typically take for special events and the like. It has a number of fillable text fields as well as checkboxes, many of which would be used as a pair of a checkbox followed by filling in the reason after that "basic reason" checkbox is checked. There is one field that is a date field, and that automatically fills in with today's date for whatever that is when you activate the template to create an instance of the actual form for filling out. This could, of course, be changed to manual entry.The second form is a 2-page abbreviated and anonymized version of a client intake form for a massage school. The only section of this form that I did not complete is where there are checkboxes for medical conditions the person getting the massage should make the masseuse aware of beforehand. I only did the first two, for arthritis and for allergies, and there would be thirty more, and three of those would have associated text boxes for explanations if they were to be checked. I think that anyone who's ever filled out a medical history form gets the idea. The first text box has a default "introducing myself and this form" text, which can be edited either in the form template itself or an actual instance of the form once that's created in case someone wanted to have a different sort of introduction during an initial session.Both of these forms are in MS-Word document template (.dotx) file format and editing restriction for filling out forms is currently on, so if you select the file and activate it to make Word open it, you will end up with an instance of the fillable form.Every checkbox and text field has both Status Bar and Help Key (F1) text associated with it, and they are usually the same text. As you tab through the form your screen reader should announce each field so you know what you're checking/unchecking or what you're supposed to be filling in on the text box. I always include the help key text because we all know that you could be tooling along, filling out a form, and get interrupted, then have no idea of exactly what you were sitting in when you were interrupted. Hitting F1 will make the screen reader announce again what field you're in.Please read through the Microsoft Word document entitled Working with Forms in Microsoft Word BEFORE you begin even trying to play around with the form templates. I have just updated it to include ALT TEXT for the screen shots I included as well as some keyboard shortcut information for the pertinent bits of the Developer Tab of the ribbon, which is what you will use for editing restrictions. This is a "quick and dirty" beginning guide, not a comprehensive treatise on the matter.The two forms and the guide can be downloaded via the following link:  <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1OgPQFnlE5CYVf7NzViyBr0L6USYuVoKB>Creating Accessible MS-Word Forms.zipJust unzip it and you'll get a folder by the same name with the three items mentioned in it.--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363 Â

       ~ Joshua Liebman