Topics

moderated Find command not working accurately on the web

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I Use JAWS 2019 with Chrome. Sometimes, when you perform a find
command [either with control+insert+f or with insert+f], JAWS
immediately says that there are no matching results. This is even
though I know for a fact that there are matching results on the page.
How can I fix this?

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

JM Casey

Yeah, not sure. It's a very useful command, but, it seems that sometimes when web content is dynamic (iE, changing/refreshing/moving regularly) it does not work. That's just my theory. I use this command all the time but I know on the main page for a local food/restaurant delivery service for instance, I cannot use this command to find a restaurant on the page, and that's just one example. Not sure there is a "fix" per se ... guess you could turn off automatic page refresh and see what happens, but then you may run into other problems with a site.

I Use JAWS 2019 with Chrome. Sometimes, when you perform a find command [either with control+insert+f or with insert+f], JAWS immediately says that there are no matching results. This is even though I know for a fact that there are matching results on the page.
How can I fix this?

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Tim Ford

In my humble experience, turning off the screen refresh will solve the problems described below. I just press the F5 manual refresh command when I need to, and that seems to work fine.

Tim Ford

[...]

And what is the easiest way to turn off screen refresh? Thank you for your help.

Rahul

On 21/01/2020, Tim Ford <ttford@...> wrote:
In my humble experience, turning off the screen refresh will solve the
problems described below. I just press the F5 manual refresh command when I
need to, and that seems to work fine.

Tim Ford

I Use JAWS 2019 with Chrome. Sometimes, when you perform a find command
[either with control+insert+f or with insert+f], JAWS immediately says that
there are no matching results. This is even though I know for a fact that
there are matching results on the page.
How can I fix this?

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Adrian Spratt

Another way of expressing this is that F5 refreshes the screen. It isn't something you turn off.

Let me add that I typically follow F5 with the JAWS command insert-escape. In describer mode, JAWS calls this "repainting" the screen. To my way of thinking, it functions as a JAWS refresh.

I Use JAWS 2019 with Chrome. Sometimes, when you perform a find
command [either with control+insert+f or with insert+f], JAWS
immediately says that there are no matching results. This is even
though I know for a fact that there are matching results on the page.
How can I fix this?

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

JM Casey

You can turn off *automatic* screen refresh. A lot of web content nowadays is not static and that means your screen is constantly being updated. This sometimes causes issues even with modern screen-readers, and particularly, the find command will not really work properly, as in the example I gave of the restaurant delivery homepage.

Another way of expressing this is that F5 refreshes the screen. It isn't something you turn off.

Let me add that I typically follow F5 with the JAWS command insert-escape. In describer mode, JAWS calls this "repainting" the screen. To my way of thinking, it functions as a JAWS refresh.

I Use JAWS 2019 with Chrome. Sometimes, when you perform a find
command [either with control+insert+f or with insert+f], JAWS
immediately says that there are no matching results. This is even
though I know for a fact that there are matching results on the page.
How can I fix this?

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Bill White

Hi, Adrian and Rahul. Page refresh can be turned off in the following way:

1. Press JAWS key or INSERT plus V to get to Quick Settings while your browser is open.
2. In the search box, type refresh. Arrow down to Refresh, and see if it says Automatically, (this is the default).
3. Press Space Bar until it says Off. Now Page refresh is off.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Another way of expressing this is that F5 refreshes the screen. It isn't something you turn off.

Let me add that I typically follow F5 with the JAWS command insert-escape. In describer mode, JAWS calls this "repainting" the screen. To my way of thinking, it functions as a JAWS refresh.

I Use JAWS 2019 with Chrome. Sometimes, when you perform a find
command [either with control+insert+f or with insert+f], JAWS
immediately says that there are no matching results. This is even
though I know for a fact that there are matching results on the page.
How can I fix this?

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the MPhil in Law
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Norma A. Boge

Depending on the situation, the "refresh every 60 seconds" might be a good in-between setting.

[...]

Hi, Bill.

Here, you're bringing up yet a third type of refresh. If I understand this one correctly, the JAWS quick setting is designed to limit how much a website can interfere with JAWS by constant refreshing. I believe the original query concerned how the user can actively refresh a screen.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

[...]

Hey Adrian.
I think the original query was about the JAWS find command not functioning properly, as the subject line implies -- and a few of us suggested that the dynamic nature of webpages interferes with the working of this command because text doesn't stay in one place for long (I think). Therefore, preventing a page from constantly refreshing might be a sort of solution for this, though I cautioned that some sites might not work properly if their content can't refresh.

[...]

Rick Mladek

Hi all,

I believe this is actually a Jaws issue for the find command in MS Word is also troubled at best.