Topics

moderated Accessible English-Spanish translation program?

Tim Ford

Hello All,

I have a friend whose English is very limited, and my Spanish is worse. Is there any easy and accessible program, web page, whatever, that we can use to communicate by typing back and forth on my computer?

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

Richard Turner

I've used the Microsoft Translator app, but here is the web site. Worth a try.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/translator/

Richard

On Jan 11, 2020, at 7:16 PM, Tim Ford <ttford@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I have a friend whose English is very limited, and my Spanish is worse.  Is there any easy and accessible program, web page, whatever, that we can use to communicate by typing back and forth on my computer?

Sincerely,
Tim Ford

I have to believe that Google Translate is accessible, and it would take only a few moments to test out if it would meet your need.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Cristóbal

Generally yes I would agree. There is a site I use from time to time for more technical stuff, but on a whole, Google Translate is probably the answer.

On a side note, I actually just finished installing the Google translate extension on my laptop with Chrome and one thing I noticed when running the extension for a word I was trying to get the translation for, was that the buttons seem to be unlabeled. I tried turning off the virtual cursor and tabbing around since sometimes I can get the description that way, but nope. Jaws just says button.

I don’t know if you can lend your eyes and take a peak Brian and maybe give a quick hand? To be clear this isn’t in regards to the Google Translate site, but rather the extension itself.

Thanks,

Cristóbal

I have to believe that Google Translate is accessible, and it would take only a few moments to test out if it would meet your need.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Tim Ford

Hello All,

I went to the Google Translate web site, but I am not sure how to operate it.  Does Google have a live-person desk I can call for a bit of initial training?  Or, is there a nice tutorial somewhere?

Tim Ford

Cristobal,

I missed this message until today.  The last several days have been absorbed by a new to me car purchase.  I'm sitting in the DMV right now in an effort to get a Virginia title and a new Real ID compliant driver's license.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Richard Turner

If you have Be My Eyes installed, under their specialty help, you can talk directly with a Google Accessibility person.
That's the only way I know to talk directly with anyone at Google that could help.
Be My Eyes is free, and so if you do not have it, I highly recommend setting up an account.

Richard

On Jan 14, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Tim Ford <ttford@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I went to the Google Translate web site, but I am not sure how to operate it.  Does Google have a live-person desk I can call for a bit of initial training?  Or, is there a nice tutorial somewhere?

Tim Ford

Cristóbal

You poor man. I’ve been avoiding having to go to the DMV to get my Real ID.

Like I said, the Chrome extension seems accessible and straight forward enough, but for those few unlabeled buttons.

Cristóbal

I missed this message until today.  The last several days have been absorbed by a new to me car purchase.  I'm sitting in the DMV right now in an effort to get a Virginia title and a new Real ID compliant driver's license.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Tim Ford

I went through the Google disability help web site, and found a link to have a phone call.  I filled it out, and the technician called me in just a minute or so.  Worked well, and he is researching the best way to navigate the translation service with JAWS.  I was able to do it successfully by just playing around, but it is a bit awkward.  But, it works.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 01:44 PM, Cristóbal wrote:
I’ve been avoiding having to go to the DMV to get my Real ID.
Strangely enough, this transaction was the easy one.  Virginia (and I'd presume all states) has a special set of webpages at the DMV site to guide you through what you must bring in order to get a Real ID license/identification card.  Since the possible combinations can be head spinning, you can pick from "the menu" at each step and it then takes that into account when you go to the next item you might need.  At the end, it gives you the list of the items you've said you have that, taken as a collection, will qualify you for Real ID.  I took 'em along and it was no problem.

Now, getting the Virginia title for my car, which was purchased in Kentucky and is a rebuilt vehicle, required me to send all the paperwork including the Kentucky title and bill of sale to Richmond for processing.  They couldn't issue the title at the local DMV office.  And you can't get plates without a title so I will have another trip to the DMV office once I receive the title itself.

I'll try to take a look at that Chrome extension, about which I'd been unaware until this topic mentioned it.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Robin Frost

Wow that’s interesting when last I checked Pennsylvania had a list but no interactive page such as you describe and I need to get that taken care of myself as my regular one is about to expire.
Take good care.
Robin