moderated Unable to move around cells in excel with jaws 2020

paul lemm

Hi Everyone,

Asking on behalf of a friend, He has just brought a new PC (windows 10 home edition), he is using Jaws 2020 and office 360. When he tries to move around the spreadsheet in excel nothing is spoken, no cell values and no way of knowing whether he is actually moving around the cells in the spreadsheet. Menu navigation in Excel is working properly, jaws just doesn’t speak anything whilst  trying to move around the spreadsheet cells with the arrow keys. We’ve tried turning off Jaws and using narrator instead, using narrator we can move around the spreadsheet cells fine using the arrow keys. Does anyone on the list have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? Any solutions/suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

Debby Hill

Hi Paul,

I am no expert, but I have two thoughts. First if this is a spreadsheet that he is editing or trying to view, is there a chance that it is in protected view? You should be able to use F6 to look at the bars at the top of the screen to see the documents status.

My other thought is, if this is the web version of office 360, I understand that it doesn't work as well with JAWS as the the desktop version does.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Debby

P.S. Sorry if there are any braille characters in this message. My BrailleNote Touch Plus sometimes like to put in braille characters instead of ⠏⠗⠔⠞ ones. Yikes!

On Jan 4, 2020 2:29 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Asking on behalf of a friend, He has just brought a new PC (windows 10 home edition), he is using Jaws 2020 and office 360. When he tries to move around the spreadsheet in excel nothing is spoken, no cell values and no way of knowing whether he is actually moving around the cells in the spreadsheet. Menu navigation in Excel is working properly, jaws just doesn’t speak anything whilst  trying to move around the spreadsheet cells with the arrow keys. We’ve tried turning off Jaws and using narrator instead, using narrator we can move around the spreadsheet cells fine using the arrow keys. Does anyone on the list have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? Any solutions/suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

Chris Hill

I got a new pc a while back, and while I was setting up windows it got my microsoft account and asked if I wanted to go ahead and download office.  When I did that, I got a version of office that didn't work at all well with jaws, seemed like excel was the worst.  I downloaded the real version and installed it and that solved all the problems.  You'd think they would ask you which version you wanted if they saw you were using a screen reader.

CH

On 1/4/2020 13:29, paul lemm wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Asking on behalf of a friend, He has just brought a new PC (windows 10 home edition), he is using Jaws 2020 and office 360. When he tries to move around the spreadsheet in excel nothing is spoken, no cell values and no way of knowing whether he is actually moving around the cells in the spreadsheet. Menu navigation in Excel is working properly, jaws just doesn’t speak anything whilst  trying to move around the spreadsheet cells with the arrow keys. We’ve tried turning off Jaws and using narrator instead, using narrator we can move around the spreadsheet cells fine using the arrow keys. Does anyone on the list have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? Any solutions/suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi all! What version of Excel does he have on his computer?

As the result of attending school, I discovered that writing is one of my gifts. On the other hand, I have eighth grade spelling. Because of my eighth grade spelling, I’m currently working on improving my spelling where it is possible. I also discovered that math is my biggest weakness. Because of my weakness of math, I’m going for an English major with Environmental Science minor instead of an Earth Science major.
Thank you for taking the time to read this email!
Blessed be!
Kendra Schaber
Honor Roll student, Fall term, 2019
Vice-President of the Oregon Association of Blind Students(ORABS)
Oregon Association of Blind Students(ORABS)
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon(NFB-O)
(503) 599-9991
Redwing731@...
Kschaber@...
NFB One Minute Message:
NFB Pledge:
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, oppertunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.
Go Detroit, Red Wings! Go Pittsburgh, Penguins! Go Portland, Winterhawks! Go Baltimore, Oriels!  Go Baltimore, Ravens! Go Oregon State Beavers, baseball and football teams!
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”, Author unknown.

On Jan 4, 2020, at 11:29, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Asking on behalf of a friend, He has just brought a new PC (windows 10 home edition), he is using Jaws 2020 and office 360. When he tries to move around the spreadsheet in excel nothing is spoken, no cell values and no way of knowing whether he is actually moving around the cells in the spreadsheet. Menu navigation in Excel is working properly, jaws just doesn’t speak anything whilst  trying to move around the spreadsheet cells with the arrow keys. We’ve tried turning off Jaws and using narrator instead, using narrator we can move around the spreadsheet cells fine using the arrow keys. Does anyone on the list have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? Any solutions/suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul

paul lemm

Hi Debby,

Thanks for the reply, it’s definitely not a document in protected mode. He has an office 365 subscription, but I’m unsure if he’s using the web version or desktop. I’ve asked him to check and also let him know that if it is the web version he is using that it doesn’t work as well with Jaws, so huge thanks for letting me know about that.

Kind regards

[...]

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I use office 2019 myself, so I’m not to up to date on how office 360 works. You mentioned in your reply though that the first one windows downloaded didn’t work well, was this the web version?. You then mentioned you uninstalled that version and installed the ‘real  version’, by that do you mean the desktop version?  if so is that just a download option from the 365 web page?

Kind regards

Paul

[...]

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for the reply. he is using office 365. I didn’t realise there was a web version and desktop version though and I’ve asked him to let me know if he knows whether it’s the web or desktop version he is using.

Kind regards

Paul

[...]

Yes, you've got it right.  I assume the first version was the web version, it didn't actually seem to operate any different, it just flat out didn't work well.  I got rid of it and downloaded the 365 version from the link I had saved when I bought it.  That is what got things going again.

On 1/4/2020 16:28, paul lemm wrote:

[...]

Thank you! I nhave Office 2018 at home vertion, I think it is anyway. I also have JAWS 2020. I had to compleetly update my whnole JAWS licience to get my Excel to work. I think it’s Excel 2016 desktop vertion. With that said, not all vertions of, JAWS, and Office are compadible.

As the result of attending school, I discovered that writing is one of my gifts. On the other hand, I have eighth grade spelling. Because of my eighth grade spelling, I’m currently working on improving my spelling where it is possible. Unfortunently, math is my biggest weakness. Because of my weakness of math, I’m going for an English major with an Environmental Science minor instead of an earth sciences major.
[...]

David Kingsbury

The problem is almost certainly the one others have said. You need to download the desktop version, not the web version.

CathyAnne Murtha <cathy@...>

Make sure Scroll Lock is disabled. When scroll lock is enabled, cell navigation is impossible. Disable Scroll Lock and see if that helps.

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 955-6611

[...]

Ann Byrne

If JAWS will move to some cells but skip others, the others might be protected by the spreadsheet creator. NVDA read protected cells, but when I last encountered them JAWS skipped them altogether.

At 11:51 AM 1/5/2020, you wrote:
The problem is almost certainly the one others have said. You need to download the desktop version, not the web version.

I cannot verify this, I have spreadsheets where I protected certain cells and ranges of cells and Jaws reads all cells just fine.

At 11:51 AM 1/5/2020, you wrote:
The problem is almost certainly the one others have said. You need to
download the desktop version, not the web version.

paul lemm

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for all the advise and suggestions, I've passed them all
onto my friend who also says a big thanks for all the help.

Kind regards

Paul

At 11:51 AM 1/5/2020, you wrote:
The problem is almost certainly the one others have said. You need to
download the desktop version, not the web version.

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi!
No problem! I hope they actually help your friend out!