moderated keyboard shortcut to announce input keyboard indicator?

Leo

Hello everyone,

is there a keyboard shortcut to verbalize the current keyboard language in windows 10?

I have my system tray set to show the input indicator; however, all too often it would be useful for me to know  what is the current input language on the fly,

-- if someone knew I would really appreciate any info about it.
--
Best,
   Leo.

If there isn't one, you could use Windows Key+Space to switch to the next input keyboard followed immediately by SHIFT + Windows Key + Space to jump back to what you were on.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Or you can check in your system tray, for me it says:

Tray Input Indicator - English (United States)

Or, if I switch to my German keyboard layout:

Tray Input Indicator - German (Germany)

I can press Jaws Key + F11 to bring up the system tray and press “T” to jump to that item and hear it read.

Of course I don’t usually do this because if I switch to German Eloquence speaks the letters I type in German.

Maria Campbell

I don't find that when I press insert f11.  Perhaps because I use only English?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

On 12/28/2019 5:30 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

I can press Jaws Key + F11 to bring up the system tray and press “T” to jump to that item and hear it read.

Of course I don’t usually do this because if I switch to German Eloquence speaks the letters I type in German.

Leo

Hi, you can't find it probably because you haven't set up yet this icon to appear on the taskbar. In order to do it, go to windows settings, personalization, taskbar, select which icons appear on the taskbar.

Best,
   Leo.
On 12/28/2019 4:35 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Leo

well thank you both, I already do what you guys suggested, but I was wondering if there was a single key stroke combination to verbalize the input keyboard language. I know that this is not as if it were a long long way but I was just wondering, anyway thanks.

Best,
   Leo.
On 12/28/2019 4:30 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Lev,

The keyboard/language indicator in the taskbar is one of the oddities, in that you cannot choose for it not to be in the taskbar if you have installed multiple language packs.  I just checked the Select which icons appear in the taskbar settings and its nowhere to be found.  It showed up as soon as I had added additional language packs (in this case, variants of English).

Things have changed somewhat since I added these, but under 1909 it's under Settings, Time & Language, Language Pane, Add a preferred language button.  There's also a new-to-me link for Choose an input method to always use as default.
--

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Leo

well I guess you're right, I couldn't get the input indicator off the taskbar.

as for choosing an input method to always use as default, it just wouldn't fill my need since I needs my keyboard to precisely use a different input language depending on what I have to write...

I believe a script allowing for switching back and forth among specific input languages would be great... too bad I cannot how to write a script...

On 12/28/2019 5:16 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Lev,

The keyboard/language indicator in the taskbar is one of the oddities, in that you cannot choose for it not to be in the taskbar if you have installed multiple language packs.  I just checked the Select which icons appear in the taskbar settings and its nowhere to be found.  It showed up as soon as I had added additional language packs (in this case, variants of English).

Things have changed somewhat since I added these, but under 1909 it's under Settings, Time & Language, Language Pane, Add a preferred language button.  There's also a new-to-me link for Choose an input method to always use as default.
--

~ Joshua Liebman

David Griffith

I think this has already been said but just in case you missed it you do not need scripts as windows spacebar will cycle you through different input languages.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lev
Sent: 29 December 2019 14:39
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: keyboard shortcut to announce input keyboard indicator?

well I guess you're right, I couldn't get the input indicator off the taskbar.

as for choosing an input method to always use as default, it just wouldn't fill my need since I needs my keyboard to precisely use a different input language depending on what I have to write...

I believe a script allowing for switching back and forth among specific input languages would be great... too bad I cannot how to write a script...

On 12/28/2019 5:16 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Lev,

--

~ Joshua Liebman

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Maria/all,

Provided you have installed several keyboards, pressing alt and shift together cycles among them. I have six languages installed, so I use it all the time.

With warmest greetings for the new year,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 12:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: keyboard shortcut to announce input keyboard indicator?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...