Topics

moderated How do I uninstall JAWS?

Ann Byrne

I installed JAWS temporarily on a sighted friend's computer. Now that it is ready to go back, how do I uninstall JAWS?

Thx,

Control Panel, Programs and Features, then find Freedom Scientific JAWS 2019 (or the appropriate version) in the list of programs and select it.

Locate the Uninstall control, and activate it.  You may need to locate the Organize control, then right arrow when you have landed on that, which should land you on the Uninstall control.  Answer as appropriate to the prompts you get from User Account Control and the uninstaller itself.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Richard Turner

You may also want to go through and uninstall the other parts of the Freedom scientific programs that got installed with it.

Richard

On Dec 18, 2019, at 8:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Control Panel, Programs and Features, then find Freedom Scientific JAWS 2019 (or the appropriate version) in the list of programs and select it.

Locate the Uninstall control, and activate it.  You may need to locate the Organize control, then right arrow when you have landed on that, which should land you on the Uninstall control.  Answer as appropriate to the prompts you get from User Account Control and the uninstaller itself.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

James Malone

Go to programs and features within the control panel, and in case of your
friend not running Jaws make sure you remove all components. The Jaws
installer will guide you through the uninstall. Hope this helps.
James

I installed JAWS temporarily on a sighted friend's computer. Now that it is
ready to go back, how do I uninstall JAWS?

Thx,

Mario

Richard, I thought when JAWS is uninstalled as Brian outlined, the
process would remove any program associated with JAWS's install. please
expand on what those programs would be, and how would one know what
programs do get installed along with JAWS?

You may also want to go through and uninstall the other parts of the
Freedom scientific programs that got installed with it.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with
it."
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by
Jane Wagner

On Dec 18, 2019, at 8:29 PM, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:

Control Panel, Programs and Features, then find Freedom Scientific
JAWS 2019 (or the appropriate version) in the list of programs and
select it.

Locate the Uninstall control, and activate it.  You may need to locate
the Organize control, then right arrow when you have landed on that,
which should land you on the Uninstall control.  Answer as appropriate
to the prompts you get from User Account Control and the uninstaller
itself.

*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's
beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or
accepting them./*

~ Joshua Liebman

Mario,

         I'm not James, but what the JAWS uninstaller removes has varied over time.  Freedom Scientific, now Vispero, has never been all that good about thoroughly tidying up at uninstall.  On my own system, under Control Panel, Programs & Features, all of the JAWS-Related stuff shows up with "Freedom Scientific" as the first two words.  So, after doing the JAWS uninstall, I'd go back and check whether any other Freedom Scientific stuff still exists that one wishes to remove.

         The last time I did a JAWS install was in July of this year for JAWS 2019 so that I could run it in 40-minute mode to do a couple of tests.  I imagine that, eventually, the Freedom Scientific branding will disappear, but I doubt that it has yet.  Who knows, they may keep that name since it's so well known.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Jaws 2019 is pretty good about uninstalling itself, I can’t remember, but it may leave FS Reader, but it’s not difficult to go back to Programs and Features and check, if anything with Freedom Scientific is left simply uninstall it afterwards. I would also recommend you check the checkboxes to uninstall shared components and user settings if you are removing this from your friends system for good.

         I'm not James, but what the JAWS uninstaller removes has varied over time.  Freedom Scientific, now Vispero, has never been all that good about thoroughly tidying up at uninstall.  On my own system, under Control Panel, Programs & Features, all of the JAWS-Related stuff shows up with "Freedom Scientific" as the first two words.  So, after doing the JAWS uninstall, I'd go back and check whether any other Freedom Scientific stuff still exists that one wishes to remove.

         The last time I did a JAWS install was in July of this year for JAWS 2019 so that I could run it in 40-minute mode to do a couple of tests.  I imagine that, eventually, the Freedom Scientific branding will disappear, but I doubt that it has yet.  Who knows, they may keep that name since it's so well known.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

James Malone

Hi Brian, thanks for answering that question. I wouldn’t have known that question. However, I do know that the installer will uninstall all components if you choose to.