Topics

moderated Problem With Editing, Saving, And Sending A Message In Outlook Drafts Folder

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I’ve noticed an interesting issue with my drafts folder in Outlook 2016.

Currently, I’m using Outlook 2016 with Office 365 on this Windows 10 computer.

Once I save a message in my drafts folder, I am unable to edit and then save  it.

When I work on the message, and then attempt to save it, I get the following message:

The item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another wwindow.

I’m then asked if I want to make a copy of the message in the ddefault folder.

I’m not sure how to answer this latter question.

Also, when I try to send the draft message, I get a response that says that the operation cannot be performed because the message  has been changed.

I’m not sure what is going on here.

How can I get things back so that I can actually edit, and then send a message in the drafts folder like we used to be able to do in earlier versions of Outlook?

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Tom Behler

Hi Tom,

You might want to call Microsoft Accessibility, I also use Outlook via Office 365 on my Windows 10 computers and have no problems opening a message in the Drafts folder, add to it or change it and then press Alt + S to send it.

[...]

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

The workout I have figured out is to hit enter on the draft message you have created, and then immediately escape out of it. Then hit enter again, finish the draft and send it. Don’t ask me the logic here. It just seems to work.

David

Tom Behler

Thanks, Sieghard.

This morning, I checked through all my Outlook settings, and couldn’t find anything obvious that would create this issue.

May indeed have to give Microsoft Accessibility a call.

However, if others have suggestions, please send them along.

Tom Behler

[...]

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  I recently got the same message for the first time.  No one else was using the message.  It appeared to be a fluke of Outlook.  Once I did a reboot of the program and computer all was well.  I notice that the recent releases of Outlook , Office 365, seem to have a couple minor bugs like these.

Merry Christmas,

Dan

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

On the Macintosh side, Outlook now has a feature that replies to a message in the same window. I wonder if perhaps the Drafts folder has a preview pane, and if both the preview pane and the editing window are making changes to the draft. There is a location in the view settings to disable Preview
alt followed by v followed by v will get you into the view options, but I believe some of the more interesting settings for us are under the options button available when you press alt-O after opening up the View settings.
Jonathan

Tom Behler

Thanks, Jonathan.

I’ll check this possibility out when I get some time here.

Tom Behler