moderated does a person have to have 2 dropbox accounts?

David Ingram

Hi list members, I'd like to know if it is possible to just have 1 dropbox account? I ask this question because I have a dropbox account for my windows pc, and I have another for my iPhone. Isn't there a way to just have 1 account only? Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

David,

No, you don't have to have separate Dropbox accounts for different devices. That would sort of defeat the convenience of Dropbox. I have one Dropbox account which gives me access on my iPhone 8 to all the files in my Dropbox folders on my computer. That was the reason I got Dropbox to begin with. Apple's closed file system made the sharing of files between computer and iPhone all but impossible and Dropbox was the primary app at the time that worked with most other apps and Windows so I could share files. I've never regretted using it.

Alan Lemly

On Dec 14, 2019, at 7:36 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@...> wrote:

´╗┐Hi list members, I'd like to know if it is possible to just have 1 dropbox account? I ask this question because I have a dropbox account for my windows pc, and I have another for my iPhone. Isn't there a way to just have 1 account only? Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I'd like to add one more thing to what Alan already said about how using different accounts on different devices defeats the purpose of Dropbox which is to store your files under one account and being able to access them there from different devices.
For some time now Dropbox limits free accounts to 3 devices. For most people who have a computer and a smart phone and maybe a tablet or maybe two computers and a smartphone this is enough, but if you need to use it one more devices you would need a paid account. You also need to delete devices by logging in online if you get, for example a new computer. Say you have a computer, a smartphone and a tablet and you have Dropbox set up on those 3 devices. If you now get a new computer or a new phone you first have to log in and delete the old one before you can set up Dropbox on the new device.