Topics

moderated Adding alt text in MSWord2016

Shivaji Kumar

Hello,

I am trying to add alt text to images in MSWord 2016 using JFW2018 and 2019, but I am not getting the format/alt options. Here are the steps I am following:

1. Select an image
2. Write click using tab+9 or shift+F10
3. This is where I am supposed to get format picture option in which the second tab would be for alt text, but using JFW I am not getting that option for format picture at all.

I have tried to insert alt text on two Windows-running PCs in MSWord2016, one with JFW2018 and the other JFW2019.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Richard Turner

Sadly, you will have to call Microsoft Accessibility I think and having them connect to your computer so you can show them that their instructions are wrong.

I just went through the Microsoft Disability answer desk web site specifically on adding alt text with a screen reader.

Their steps say to get focus on the image, press alt+j then p and tab to the format object item…only there is no format object item.

I had my sighted wife confirm, it isn’t there.  This is with Microsoft 365 Word 2016 and Jaws 2020, Narrator, and NVDA, none of which show that option.

Here is the page where I found their steps.  There is a topic specific to adding alt-text on this page:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-a-screen-reader-to-insert-a-picture-or-image-in-word-e03b33b8-e96d-4f52-9a5f-12c5ab7d2580

I’m getting ready for work, so I don’t have time to call them myself.

If I have time this afternoon, I will.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

I am trying to add alt text to images in MSWord 2016 using JFW2018 and 2019, but I am not getting the format/alt options. Here are the steps I am following:

1. Select an image
2. Write click using tab+9 or shift+F10
3. This is where I am supposed to get format picture option in which the second tab would be for alt text, but using JFW I am not getting that option for format picture at all.

I have tried to insert alt text on two Windows-running PCs in MSWord2016, one with JFW2018 and the other JFW2019.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

rclark@...

Hi Shivaji
You should be able to select the image
Then Shift F10

Are you getting the Format Picture Option?
There then should be an option of Layout and Properties and Edit Alt Text is there.
In 2019 when you press Shift+F10 the Edit Alt Text is an option on its own- shortcut letter A in that menu.

Rebecca Clark

Richard Turner

I’m not getting the format picture option either.

Office 365, Jaws 2020 or Jaws 2019.

This is frm the Jaws speech history with Jaws 2019 and it is the same in Jaws 2020 with today’s update:

New Comment
Link sub menu‑
Translate
Synonyms sub menu‑
Smart Lookup
Paragraph...
Font...
Leaving menus
Paste Options
Paste
Button

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Are you getting the Format Picture Option?
There then should be an option of Layout and Properties and Edit Alt Text is there.
In 2019 when you press Shift+F10 the Edit Alt Text is an option on its own- shortcut letter A in that menu.

Rebecca Clark

Shankar C

exactly bro,
I am also not getting the format picture icon from either on the
context menus ribbens.
using office 365 jfw 2020

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com<http://www.turner42.com/>

Are you getting the Format Picture Option?
There then should be an option of Layout and Properties and Edit Alt Text is
there.
In 2019 when you press Shift+F10 the Edit Alt Text is an option on its own-
shortcut letter A in that menu.

Rebecca Clark

----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Jim Fettgather

Now, this is strange,in Office 365, if I select a photo, press the applications key and up arrow, Format Picture comes up immediately, and one of the selections is Alt Text, although the picture has already been automatically described, with a somewhat gemeric but acceptable description.
This is with very latest updates in Word Office 365.

Are you getting the Format Picture Option?
There then should be an option of Layout and Properties and Edit Alt Text is
there.
In 2019 when you press Shift+F10 the Edit Alt Text is an option on its own-
shortcut letter A in that menu.

Rebecca Clark

----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Richard Turner

OK, some of us are just a tad-bit dense.
Yes, if you select the picture with shift+arrow whichever direction you are going, then do the applications key, shift+f10, etc., the format picture option is right there.
And, as you said, the alt-text item is above that item if you just arrow up or hit the letter a.
However, how do you then save the alt-text?
I found myself in no-man's-land.
There was a mark as decorative check box and a "yes I'll help button".

If you type in your alt-text, what next?

Thanks,
Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&;a
mp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2b1ff78052704caa237b08d77e300528%7C84df9e7fe9f640
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637116617015816074&amp;sdata=mT%2FsVp4B3o
FOlcKRucZRN%2BVJP65HOprbtIXftZXiAIQ%3D&amp;reserved=0<https://eur02.sa
felinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&a
mp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2b1ff78052704caa237b08d77e300528%7C84df9e7fe9f640
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637116617015816074&amp;sdata=g6F8mu2uadMF
jtpMdJOa6af410cHA3htnlPAeVx0gjQ%3D&amp;reserved=0>

You should be able to select the image Then Shift F10

Are you getting the Format Picture Option?
There then should be an option of Layout and Properties and Edit Alt
Text is there.
In 2019 when you press Shift+F10 the Edit Alt Text is an option on its
own-
shortcut letter A in that menu.

Rebecca Clark

----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Jim Fettgather

Honest, I just hit escape, and my description was right there that I
had typed as the Alt Text for the picture. There was no Save or OK
buttons that needed to be activated.

--
----------"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no
point."
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

When I have an image/picture selected in MS Word 2016, hitting SHIFT+F10,A opens up the Alt text dialog (for lack of a better term, it's now shown in a column to the right of the document itself, not a free floating dialog box) and places me in the edit box for the Alt Text for that image.

Hitting ESC after I've completed whatever text I want throws focus back into the document, but does not close that dialog.  But its presence really doesn't matter, as it's not showing anything unless you happen to have a picture selected.

        ~ Joshua Liebman