From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 13:24
Subject: 2018 DVD

Just got my Jaws 2018 disk today. Is there anything on this DVD versus
the downloaded version of Jaws 2018?

No, the downloaded version is always the better one to use because by the time the DVD's are received the new version of Jaws usually had at least one update so if you install from the DVD you just have to update right afterwards. I really think FS should ask their customers who wants a DVD and who doesn't and those who don't should get $10 off their SMA.

Just got my Jaws 2018 disk today. Is there anything on this DVD versus the downloaded version of Jaws 2018?

Kelly Pierce

I also have noticed that the DVD installs the 32 bit version of JAWS
even though my machine can run 64 bit software. If you want to ensure
that the 64 bit version of JAWS is installed, then download the 64 bit
version and use the DVD as a backup without Internet access.

Kelly

No, the downloaded version is always the better one to use because by the
time the DVD's are received the new version of Jaws usually had at least one
update so if you install from the DVD you just have to update right
afterwards. I really think FS should ask their customers who wants a DVD and
who doesn't and those who don't should get $10 off their SMA.

Just got my Jaws 2018 disk today. Is there anything on this DVD versus the
downloaded version of Jaws 2018?

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Kelly,

Out of curiosity, why do you say Jaws installs a 32 bit version on a 64 bit system?  By accident I tried to run a 32 bit installer  to my 64 bit system, & I got an error message.  I don't recall what the error message stated, but it had to installing the wrong version on my computer.  If you look in both your Program Files & Program Files X86 folders on the root of your OS drive you'll see that Freedom Scientific folders in both, but only if you are running a 64 bit system.  If you're running a 32 bit system, I forget which 1, but you'll only have 1 of the Program folders, not both on your OS drive.

Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: 2018 DVD

On 11/27/17, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:
> No, the downloaded version is always the better one to use because by the
> time the DVD's are received the new version of Jaws usually had at least one
> update so if you install from the DVD you just have to update right
> afterwards. I really think FS should ask their customers who wants a DVD and
> who doesn't and those who don't should get $10 off their SMA.

I know because I installed JAWS on my new 64 bit computer from the DVD
in 2013 and the 32 bit version was installed. I have never installed
from the DVD again and now just download and install the 64 bit
version.

Kelly

On 11/27/17, Mike B. <mb69mach1@charter.net> wrote:
Hi Kelly,

Out of curiosity, why do you say Jaws installs a 32 bit version on a 64 bit

system? By accident I tried to run a 32 bit installer to my 64 bit system,

& I got an error message. I don't recall what the error message stated, but

it had to installing the wrong version on my computer. If you look in both

your Program Files & Program Files X86 folders on the root of your OS drive

you'll see that Freedom Scientific folders in both, but only if you are
running a 64 bit system. If you're running a 32 bit system, I forget which

1, but you'll only have 1 of the Program folders, not both on your OS
drive.

Just got my Jaws 2018 disk today. Is there anything on this DVD versus
the
downloaded version of Jaws 2018?

David & his pack of dogs

Since joining the dark side, LOL, I have downloaded the JAWS 18 and now the 2018. I never gave getting the CD a second thought. Everything is so coded now. As in if purchasing office 365 at Best buy, they give you a card with the product key on it, after you purchase it of course. The same is true at Costco. They had a 4 TB external hard drive for $150. Do you get it off the shelf? NO. They have a card to take up to the check out counter and you get the actual product there.

No, the downloaded version is always the better one to use because by the time the DVD's are received the new version of Jaws usually had at least one update so if you install from the DVD you just have to update right afterwards. I really think FS should ask their customers who wants a DVD and who doesn't and those who don't should get $10 off their SMA.

Just got my Jaws 2018 disk today. Is there anything on this DVD versus the downloaded version of Jaws 2018?

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

From my understanding, when installing from the CD / DVD it's supposed to recognize your operating system & install the correct version.  Everyone gets the same CD because FS / VFO doesn't have a clue as to what operating systems people are running.  Also, it will install both 32 & 64 bit components, OCR, is an example.  Look in your control panel / Programs & Features, & there are both 32 & 64 bit files.  I'm not trying to argue or debate with you, because God only knows that just about every computer user, at 1 time or another, has had something happen that defies 1 or both logic / common sense!  LOL

Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:48 PM