Topics

Excel 2016 as part of Office 365 issues

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with Excel 2016 and Jaws 2018 and earlier
versions too. We switched to Office 365 here at work last June, and
all worked fine, but now, Jaws isn't able to track in Excel 2016. If I
open a blank spreadsheet, Jaws will say "Book 1, Sheet 1, A1". If I
press the right arrow key, Jaws will sometimes say "B1" as it ought
to, but after that, Jaws is silent when pressing any arrow key.
Nothing at all is read by Jaws. If I press the alt key twice to bring
up the ribbon and then close it, Jaws might then read the contents of
the cell I am in, but will go silent again after that.

I am running the 1710 build of Office 365, and our channel is
"Monthly". I'm hoping the next update to Office 365 will fix this
issue, but I have no reason to think that it will.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on a Lenovo Desktop machine here at work.

I called VFO tech support, and at that time I was running the 1703
build of Office 365 with the "deferred" channel. I was told that
updating to the 1709 or 1710 builds of Office 365 would fix the issue,
but it hasn't.

I called the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk, and their solution was
to run a Jaws repair, but I've completely uninstalled Jaws and
re-installed, so I don't think running a repair will help, and, when I
try to run a repair on Jaws 2018, the repair gets to 4% and then
stalls there and finally fails.

Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating.

Oh, and, of course, NVDA does work well with Excel 2016 with none of
these issues. I would switch to NVDA permanently except that NVDA
crashes our proprietary database that I use on a daily basis.

Thanks all.

Russell

Steve Griffiths

Hi Russell,

Could scroll lock be on? Because that would give this kind of result. On my keyboard the scroll lock key is the middle one of the three keys above the number pad, but you should be able to find it with JAWS keyboard help, JAWSkey + 1. You might need to double tap it to change its status.

Steve 馃惥

[...]

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Website: https://www.guidedogs.org.uk
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Owais Patel <owaisipatel@...>

Will this happen with Excel 2016 in Windows 10.
Sincerely,
Owais

On Nov 27, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Russell,

I use Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit via the Office 365 Business Premium plan.
I had major issues with Excel back at the end of August, but even then Jaws 18 would read everything, but as soon as I tried to type anything into a cell Excel would crash completely.
I then got on the Jaws 2018 private beta program hoping Jaws 2018 would solve the issue, but it didn't. A week or 10 days later there was an Office update and that fixed the issue.
Now I have still one problem which happens with Windows 7 but not with my Windows 10 laptop. I can type into a cell, but if I start a formula with an equals sign Excel crashes. The work-around is to type the formula without the equals sign, for example, sum(a1:a10) and press enter. This just puts the text into the cell, if I then go back and edit with F2 I can put the equals sign in front of the "sum" and press tab or enter and it works.
This happens both with Jaws 18 and Jaws 2018, I am also on the Office Insiders monthly channel by the way.
I have, however, absolutely 0 issues moving around in any worksheet. I assume it is some peculiarity with your system since I have not heard others having these issues. I use Excel on 3 different Windows 7 PC's at my store as well as on 2 Windows 10 laptops.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Mario

Sieghard, regarding your issue, couldn't you just press a letter first,
press backspace, type an equal sign followed by the formula, and press
enter? I'd imagine this way is less tedious, no?

wrote:

[...]

.

Good thought and one I tried, but even after I type "sum" and then delete it by backspacing, Excel still crashes as soon as I type the equals sign.
Maybe, but it still crashes unless I put that equals sign in last.

wrote:

[...]

Crist贸bal

How about punching in the ascii code for the = sign (alt+61)?

wrote:

[...]

Hi Sieghard,

Thanks for your response. Well, I completely uninstalled Office 365
from my machine, and then re-installed it from the Microsoft Office
365 website. I chose the 64 bit version, as that's what my co-worker
was running. So, instead of the 1710 Monthly Channel, I am back to
running the 1705 Deferred Channel. I am now able to navigate a
spreadsheet with no problems, however, I am now back to having the
same issue you are having with Excel crashing when typing a formula
into a cell. This is the issue I was experiencing that caused me to
install the 1710 32 bit version, which is when I began experiencing
not being able to navigate at all in a spreadsheet. So, back to where
I started from. I, like you, now type a formula without the = (equals)
sign, and then press CTRL + F2 to edit the cell and add the = sign in
front of the formula. A bit of a pain, but at least I'm able to use
Excel once again.

BTW: Excel also crashes when typing a formula into a cell while
running NVDA, so this issue isn't strictly a Jaws issue. It is,
however, a screen reader issue as my co-worker can type a formula into
a cell with no crashing with all screen readers turned off.

Hope this issue is resolved soon.

Good luck.

Russell

wrote:

[...]

It might not help much, but it won't hurt to let Microsoft Accessibility know this, if they hear it from several users it might be bet ter.

wrote:

[...]

Interesting idea, but it also crashes Excel and in fact it messed things up so bad that I had to restart my computer whereas just typing the equals sign (something I still do accidently) just crashes Excel and then it just restarts after 10 seconds or so.

Regards,
Sieghard

wrote:

[...]

My bad...
Out of curiosity, have you tried entering the = sign with Jaws silenced (insert+spacebar+s)? Not that that would be a real efficient workaround, but just a thought.
Does it also happen with NVDA? Jaws specific or something screen reader in general I wonder.
Using the stand alone Office 2016. Going to have to see if this occurs with my set up. Off-hand, can't recall excel crashing on me in this way.

wrote:

[...]

Nermin

Hi Sieghard,

have you tried using NVDA with excel to rule out that JAWS is causing the issue?

Regards,
Nermin

I don't use NVDA, but as Russell posted (might have been on another list), he has tried it with NVDA and it also crashes just the same and it definitely does not without any screenreader running.
Anyhow, it's a pretty simple work-around so hopefully it will be fixed with some upcoming Office update.

have you tried using NVDA with excel to rule out that JAWS is causing the issue?

Regards,
Nermin

Remember this happens only with Windows 7, it's fine with Windows 10.
Anyhow, as I just said, it's a simple work-around to type the formula first and then edit the cell and put in the equals sign, easier than muting Jaws and, yes, it does happen when you mute Jaws speech with Insert+Spacebar+S, only time it doesn't happen is if Jaws I s not running. Also said this already, but yes, somebody else reported it also happens with NVDA.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, as Sieghard said, I tried it with NVDA, and Excel crashes when typing a formula with NVDA as well.

Cheers,

Russell

wrote:

[...]

Yes, great idea! I'll definitely contact Microsoft accessibility.

wrote:

[...]

Hi Owais,

No, fortunately this doesn't seem to happen in Windows 10 and Excel 2016.

Cheers,

Russell