From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of moiz tundawala
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS 18 slow and sluggish on Windows 10

Dear All,
JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

Mario

Moiz, please let us know what the tech did to fix the problem.

I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But this
lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the
cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

.

moiz tundawala

Dear Mario,
They asked me to uninstall JAWS with all its registry files and
reinstall it once again. I followed their instructions but this didn't
solve the problem. Then I got my computer formatted, but JAWS is as
slow and sluggish as before.
VFO just wrote back once again saying that some other programme might
be interfering with JAWS and that I should go into settings of
programmes like my antivirus and make an exception for Freedom
Scientific. I have uninstalled my antivirus completely to see what
happens, but once again, JAWS becomes slow after every few minutes.
Moiz.

On 11/27/17, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
Moiz, please let us know what the tech did to fix the problem.

I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But this
lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the
cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

.

moiz tundawala

Dear Alan,
I have got in touch with them on several occasions. Hasn't helped.
Moiz.

On 11/27/17, Alan Robbins <alan1057@me.com> wrote:
I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every few
minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and reloading the
application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that JAWS starts working
fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But this lasts only a few minutes
and the problem returns, until I repeat the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

Mario

Moiz, do you have any other programs running at windows start besides an
antivirus? and what brand/version of AV are you using?

I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But this
lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the
cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

.

.

Alan Robbins

Ok, has to be frustrating

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But
this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

Richard Turner

Have you tried Microsoft Accessibility yet?
They can remote into your computer and possibly dig deeper than VFO bothered to do.
Richard

🖖🏿

On Nov 27, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Alan Robbins <alan1057@...> wrote:

Ok, has to be frustrating

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But
this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

I would also try Microsoft Accessibility and see if they can figure it out.

I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But
this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat
the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

.

Sorry, Richard, should read the entire thread before repeating the suggestion somebody else has already made.
One other thing, Moiz, have you tried Jaws 2018 to see if it also does this? If your SMNA doesn't cover it you can still download it and use it in 40-minute demo mode, from what you describe this will be long enough to see if the problem occurs.

Regards,
Sieghard

I would also try Microsoft Accessibility and see if they can figure it out.

I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But
this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat
the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong
here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

.

moiz tundawala

Mario,
I run no other program at startup. My computer had the McAfee
antivirus which I have just uninstalled. I have now moved too Sophos.
Martin, Thanks for letting me know about microsoft accessibility. I
haven't tried getting in touch with them yet. Will do so and let you
know what happens.
Sieghard,
No, I haven't tried JAWS 2018. Will do that too and get back.
Thanks everyone.
[...]

Ron Pelletier

Hi,

Are you, by any chance, using Avast for an antivirus? I had that problem and got rid of it by removing Avast completely and going to another antivirus.

Just a thought

Ron & Danvers

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be wrong here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

Why not just use Microsoft's built-in anti virus, Windows Defender. I haven't bought third-party anti virus software ever since Security Essentials for Windows 7 became a free download. I have a retail business with 5 PC's and my laptop at home, I have staff who uses the internet and unfortunately not always only for work related stuff and I have never had an issue with a virus. As far as I can see it Windows Defender doesn't use a lot of resources and obviously it should play nicely with everything else since it's made by Microsoft.

I would also try Microsoft Accessibility and see if they can figure it out.

I would suggest contacting VFO via email or phone

Al

JAWS 18 becomes slow and sluggish on my Windows 10 laptop after every
few minutes. I get it back to working normally by unloading and
reloading the application. Strangely enough, I have also noticed that
JAWS starts working fine even after I open and close Kurzweil. But
this lasts only a few minutes and the problem returns, until I repeat
the cycle all over again.
I have tried doing a clean installation of JAWS and have also got my
computer formatted. But nothing seems to be helping. What may be
wrong here?
Thanks,
Moiz.

.

Alan Robbins

I would ditto this comment and approach.

Al

[...]

I did get in touch with Microsoft Accessibility. They remote accessed
my computer but weren't able to solve the problem. The person has sent
it to her research team for further instructions.
I also downloaded JAWS 2018 and am running it in 40 minute mode. JAWS
remains slow and sluggish.
Can something be wrong with the computer and its settings? I have a
Dell 13 Inspiron 5378.
Thanks,
Moiz.

On 11/27/17, moiz tundawala <moiztundawala@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

No Ron, McAfee and Sophos.
The Microsoft folks also tried disabling Sophos and doing a clean
reboot of my computer. It didn't help.
Moiz.

On 11/27/17, Ron Pelletier <ron.pelletier@sympatico.ca> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sieghard. The problem persists even without the antivirus running.
Moiz.f

[...]

Hi Moiz,

If you have done a clean install of Windows 10 or at least a restore without saving your
Settings and then you reinstalled Jaws on this clean system and Jaws is still sluggish then yes, I would say there is a good chance something is just not right with your system. I assume Microsoft Accessibility would have checked to make sure all your drivers are up to date?
Is Jaws slow in particular applications like Word or OUtlook or is it even sluggish when you use Windows Explorer, go to Settings or online using IE?
I still am a pretty firm believer that in the long run Windows Defender will give you the least amount of trouble and it's one less thing to worry about or for Microsoft Accessibility to have to deal with should you ask them for help.

Good luck,
Sieghard

[...]

I'd strongly recommend getting rid of the third party antivirus program and just use Windows Defender.
Antivirus programs often cause issues with screen readers and the computer experts I know do not recommend running two different ones.
Unless you have somehow completely disabled Windows Defender, you have two running.
Windows Defender works great!

Richard

[...]

Thanks people. I am now only running Windows Defender but the problem
has not gone away.
JAWS is sluggish in all applications that I use. Chrome, Firefox,
Word, Windows explorer and so on.
I guess something must be wrong with the system then. But as I
mentioned its not that JAWS is permanently sluggish. I can get it back
to running normally for a few minutes by unloading and reloading the
program. Also, by opening and closing an application like Kurzweil.
Moiz.