moderated Reading the File properties dialog

Van Lant, Robin

Hi all,

I need some coaching.  If I right click on a file to get the properties info, other than just having JAWS read the entire thing from top to bottom, how do I navigate this to read things like last modified date?  I’m thinking I have to use the JAWS cursor, but when I activate that and arrow up and down, it’s just saying blank.  I tried using Insert R to adjust the boundaries, but that is not making a difference.  Is not thief the correct approach and, if so, what other adjustment to the JAWS cursor should I be making?   It just doesn’t work like the old Window-Eyes mouse cursor, so I’m at a loss.  My only other idea is to use OCR to capture the text.

Thanks.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

James Bentley

Hi,

See if rooting the Jaws cursor to the PC will allow you to arrow through this one page at a time.

That can be done by typing:

  zero+the minus key on your number pad.

Type: the plus sign on the number pad to go back to your regular PC cursor.

HTH,

James B

[...]

John Covici

The jaws cursor works for me in that dialog -- I am using windows 10
1903.

On Thu, 05 Dec 2019 12:03:01 -0500,
Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
Hi all,
I need some coaching. If I right click on a file to get the properties info, other than just having JAWS read the entire thing from top to bottom, how do I navigate this to read things like last modified date? I'm thinking I have to use the JAWS cursor, but when I activate that and arrow up and down, it's just saying blank. I tried using Insert R to adjust the boundaries, but that is not making a difference. Is not thief the correct approach and, if so, what other adjustment to the JAWS cursor should I be making? It just doesn't work like the old Window-Eyes mouse cursor, so I'm at a loss. My only other idea is to use OCR to capture the text.

Thanks.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management
Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 | www.keyequipmentfinance.com<http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/>

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

NFB Lab 4

Virtualize the window with insert alt w and then you can read it with your
regular reading keys.
Hope this helps,
Thom

[...]

intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This
communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers
directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose
information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114 If you prefer not to receive
future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail
to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

JM Casey

Hi.
Yes, the JAWS cursor works fine for me in th is dialogue also and, indeed,
in most dialogues other than those from the Universal/modern apps. I know
other Windows 10 users have reported that the JAWS cursor does not even
function properly in file explorer to do things like this. I have not really
been able to determine what the factors are that influence whether it works
or not -- there must be some limiting factor at play or something connected
with how Windows displays text (I understand about the UWP apps not using
the off-screen model but that doesn't seem to be the case here) --

[...]

James B, Routing the JAWS cursor to PC cursor did the trick. I think I'm still in the Window-Eyes mindset that once a dialog opens I can just hit numpad 7 and start down arrowing. I did not even think about needing to route the cursor in this instance, so thanks for pointing that out.

Tom, I do love the virtualization feature a lot, especially if I need to copy some of the information, since as an IP Address.

Virtualize the window with insert alt w and then you can read it with your regular reading keys.
Hope this helps,
Thom

The jaws cursor works for me in that dialog -- I am using windows 10 1903.

On Thu, 05 Dec 2019 12:03:01 -0500,
Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Hi all, I need some
coaching. If I right click on a file to get the properties
info, other than just having JAWS read the entire thing from top to bottom, how do I navigate this to read things like last modified date? I'm thinking I have to use the JAWS cursor, but when I activate that and arrow up and down, it's just saying blank. I tried using Insert R to adjust the boundaries, but that is not making a difference. Is not thief the correct approach and, if so, what other adjustment to the JAWS cursor should I be
making? It just doesn't work like the old Window-Eyes mouse cursor, so I'm
at a loss. My only other idea is to use OCR to capture the text.

Thanks.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management
Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |
www.keyequipmentfinance.com<http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/>

It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.