From: Gwensinfo [mailto:gwensinfo@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:38 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: New to the group

Hello, my name is Gwen, and I am new to the group. I use jaws when I was
working, but it was usually three or four releases behind because I work
for the government. I am now retired and trying to play catch-up with
jaws I hope people use Windows 7 because I do. I don't plan to migrate to
tan for at least a couple more years. So I hope there is still some
dinosaurs out there thank you :-)

Gwen and the great Orb
sent from my iPhone 5s
"a dog has many friends because he wags his tail and not his tongue "
Anonymous"

Hey Gwen,

         I recognize you from that mailing list where that other screen reader is the center of attention!!

         Believe me, you're far from alone in using Win7 with JAWS (regardless of JAWS version).  The majority of my clients are still on Win7 and I've never had one who had Win8/8.1 (and really hope I don't now that Win10 is here).

         Also, you should consider joining the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users group.  The screen reader based questions/answers have far broader applicability than in the Win10 environment and it may help you with your decision about if/when to upgrade to Windows 10.

Brian

P.S.  Who/what is "the great Orb"

William L Houts <lukaeon@...>

HI Gwen,

I'm just like you as regards Windows 7. Everything does what it's supposed to do and I'm not eager to rock the boat. Glad to meet someone of like mind, ha.

--Bill

--

"Oh, Sophie! Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Gwen from the Virgin islands,
All is welcomed; besides, only cloth gets old.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I have a feeling 7 is going to be a lot like XP was—having a loyal user base that will stick until the bitter end.

Ted

         I recognize you from that mailing list where that other screen reader is the center of attention!!

         Believe me, you're far from alone in using Win7 with JAWS (regardless of JAWS version).  The majority of my clients are still on Win7 and I've never had one who had Win8/8.1 (and really hope I don't now that Win10 is here).

         Also, you should consider joining the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users group.  The screen reader based questions/answers have far broader applicability than in the Win10 environment and it may help you with your decision about if/when to upgrade to Windows 10.

Brian

P.S.  Who/what is "the great Orb"

john.falter

Hello group:
I've read that users of windows 8 and 8.1 would do well to move to ten,
but users of seven not nearly so much.

On 2/26/2016 8:20 AM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:

I have a feeling 7 is going to be a lot like XP was—having a loyal user base that will stick until the bitter end.

Ted

         I recognize you from that mailing list where that other screen reader is the center of attention!!

         Believe me, you're far from alone in using Win7 with JAWS (regardless of JAWS version).  The majority of my clients are still on Win7 and I've never had one who had Win8/8.1 (and really hope I don't now that Win10 is here).

         Also, you should consider joining the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users group.  The screen reader based questions/answers have far broader applicability than in the Win10 environment and it may help you with your decision about if/when to upgrade to Windows 10.

Brian

P.S.  Who/what is "the great Orb"

Mario

lately, I've been hearing that too, not just from this list but other sources too. and not everyone agrees.

Reader Users <https://groups.io/g/win10> group. The screen reader
based questions/answers have far broader applicability than in the
Win10 environment and it may help you with your decision about if/when
to upgrade to Windows 10.

Brian

P.S. Who/what is "the great Orb"

I love Windows 7, and if you're happy with it and (and the and is important) aren't going to replace your current equipment until after the end of extended support for Windows 7 then it's fine to stay with it.  There is a big, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," factor.  As a tech geek who participates on several Windows 10 forums I can definitely say that upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10 have been more problematic, and the older your hardware and the more "well-used" your system the more likely they are to be problematic.   The biggest issues have cropped up because Windows 10 does not "play well" with a lot of older device drivers.  If you can find one for the specific device that was written for Windows 10 you're golden, or for Windows 8/8.1 that works you're OK, too.  That being said, I myself had to convert a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop to a Linux machine after trying Windows 10 on it because I could never locate a device driver for the Alps Electric mousepad that would work consistently under Windows 10 (and believe me, I tried lots of them).

There is, however, a flip side to that coin.  The end of support for Windows 7 is in the foreseeable future.  Once official support ends for any operating system it becomes more and more vulnerable to attack over time (until it gets so old that those who do this sort of thing are focusing on the newer OSes for amusement).  Upgrading to Windows 10 when you get new hardware will happen.   There really is a "golden period" where you're participating in the changes with a huge wave of people experiencing the same issues at the same time and where the solution seeking in that cohort is in high gear.  No one can exactly define when that period begins and ends, but it will definitely be over within a year or so.  Late adopters often find it far harder to slog through the reams of "tried and failed" work that is out there after the fact and when there is no one still telling you, "no, you can ignore that, look here for something that worked," when you're asking for help.

Any OS change, even within the same OS family, is a fraught proposition.  But it can be, and often is, profoundly unwise to engage in long-term avoidance when you will eventually be forced to make the change but do so when you're a lot more "on your own" rather than "part of the group."

My two cents.

Brian

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 05:20 am, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <ted.lisle@...> wrote:
XP was—having a loyal user base that will stick until the bitter end.

 And for people who actually did that, I want them to recall precisely how bitter that end probably was when they had to make the leap.

I know a number of people still using WinXP, but I also know that most wisely avoid doing anything online (e.g., online banking or the like) where the security compromises involved are huge.  It's gotten to the point where most providers of sensitive web functions like online banking will block you from using them if your browser does not comply with current security standards, and nothing that runs on WinXP that I know of these days does.

I have never, ever, been a bleeding edge adopter of anything.  I always give a shake out period of several months to up to a year or so.  But I also have never, ever been someone who thinks that clinging to the bitter end works out well, either, for reasons I've already stated in a prior message.

Brian

Shan Noyes

 This is a jaws use your list let's please try to stay on topic and cut out all these extraneous extra emails thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 26, 2016, at 9:18 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

This is a jaws users list let's please try to stay on topic thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 26, 2016, at 9:24 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, there’s that happy medium.  I upgraded a lot more readily in the DOS era; cost wasn’t that high, and I could do my own installation.  I wasn’t terribly happy when the phone company blew out my last PC, but I had already used 7 here at work and liked it.  That was really my point.  If Microsoft follows its recent pattern (a good OS, followed by a bad one, than a good one again), 10 should be okay.  Furthermore,, as it’s supposed to be around for a while, most of us will probably get a shot at it.

Ted

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 07:51 am, Shan Noyes <noyes01@...> wrote:
This is a jaws users list let's please try to stay on topic thank you

This is a JAWS for WINDOWS user group, and this topic is quite pertinent at this time.  Use the "Mute this thread" feature if you do not care for the content of any given thread.

Hello,

I’d like to respectfully disagree: JAWS for Windows, when viewed from various angles, is a collection of data and code, hence it will behave like any piece of software installed on any operating system. Without proper support from an operating system such as Windows 7 and 10, JAWS would not have existed. For many blind folks out there, affording latest and greatest isn’t practical, hence the statement about reliance on XP and 7.

Nor I think we should act like we have highest authority: I think given the nature of this thread and the fact that not many people know how to use Groups.IO account to manage certain things, asking people to mute threads (spoken in a way that gives possibly wrong impressions) might not be a good idea. Therefore, I think we should leave it up to James (our chief) to deal with this.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Sorry about that I was just getting frustrated because if you look at Brian's last two emails there's nothing about jaws in them it's just his ranting on about why XP is good and why Windows 7 is good so I don't want to meet the thread because sometimes there's good jams the point I was trying to make is please keep down your rambling to make stuff pertinent specifically Brian

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 26, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

So that is all I have to say on that subject but looking forward to keep reading relevant and pertinent emails about jaws and people's findings thank you very much have a good day everyone