JAWS, Word 2016, and word count/character count without spaces

Loreal Lavigna <Llavigna2@...>

OK everyone here’s a question.  I have a job where I need to count the characters (not counting spaces) in order to calculate my pay and do my invoicing. How would I go about accessing this information?  I know how to do basic word counts, and I know visually someone said you click on where it shows you the word count at the bottom of the document/page you’re in and you can click where it says characters without spaces, but how do you do this with JAWS?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

Legal/Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

Email:  Loreallavigna@...

Loreal,

        I am basing the following on Word 2010, but the Word Count function under the Review ribbon has been the same for a long time, so I hope it carried forward.

        When in Word, if you hit ALT+R,W does that bring up the Word Count dialog?  If so, does it still include the Character Count, one line includes spaces and another excludes them in Word 2010.  When I hit the above command, and am using NVDA, the entire Word Count dialog content is read, this includes number of pages, words, characters (no spaces), characters (with spaces), paragraphs, and lines.  There is also a checkbox to include text boxes, footnotes, and end notes which is checked by default.

Brian

Loreal <llavigna2@...>

I haven't tried with the key stroke, but I did try by hitting the Menu key, the Alt key, and right arrow in through the ribbon options until I found review. Under proofing inside this menu, which is in itself a submenu, I found word count. I will try the keystroke command you suggested to see if this works. Thank you very much.

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5

        I am basing the following on Word 2010, but the Word Count function under the Review ribbon has been the same for a long time, so I hope it carried forward.

        When in Word, if you hit ALT+R,W does that bring up the Word Count dialog?  If so, does it still include the Character Count, one line includes spaces and another excludes them in Word 2010.  When I hit the above command, and am using NVDA, the entire Word Count dialog content is read, this includes number of pages, words, characters (no spaces), characters (with spaces), paragraphs, and lines.  There is also a checkbox to include text boxes, footnotes, and end notes which is checked by default.

Brian

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Shift-Control-G.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

OK everyone here's a question. I have a job where I need to count the
characters (not counting spaces) in order to calculate my pay and do my
invoicing. How would I go about accessing this information? I know how
to do basic word counts, and I know visually someone said you click on
where it shows you the word count at the bottom of the document/page
you're in and you can click where it says characters without spaces, but
how do you do this with JAWS?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

Legal/Medical Transcriptionist

Phone: (518)330-5188

Email: Loreallavigna@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

The word count option under Review should also work, without need of a JAWS cursor. It's the fourth tab in.

OK everyone here's a question. I have a job where I need to count the
characters (not counting spaces) in order to calculate my pay and do my
invoicing. How would I go about accessing this information? I know how
to do basic word counts, and I know visually someone said you click on
where it shows you the word count at the bottom of the document/page
you're in and you can click where it says characters without spaces, but
how do you do this with JAWS?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

Legal/Medical Transcriptionist

Phone: (518)330-5188

Email: Loreallavigna@gmail.com

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:27 am, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:
Shift-Control-G.

 . . . invokes the same Word Count Dialog that I made reference to with ALT+R,W.   As per usual, there are about 100 ways to do the same thing in Windows and Windows programs.

I'm curious where and when you learned this shortcut?   There are tons of these that exist that range from not well documented to completely undocumented.  This one pops up on a number of web pages, and a really good one from Microsoft involving keyboard shortcuts for Windows and Windows programs is entitled, Keyboard Shortcuts for Microsoft Office Word.  It covers some keyboard shortcuts applicable outside of MS-Word as well.

Brian

P.S. to Ted:  That keystroke sequence I gave invokes precisely the option under the Review ribbon to which you've made reference.  It's just the "direct line" there.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That would figure.  I have become a big ribbon fan, something I never expected.  Like the old menu system, it provides a good overview, which can be helpful when you need a command you don’t use much.  Coincidentally, I ran into Word Count just a few days ago, shortly before it came up on the list.  Every now and then, when writing book reviews on assignment, for example, it’s a handy thing to have.

Ted