Changing themes, using the "start memu", to get rid of "task switching" ...

HAMILTON

Hello:

Some time ago, someone provided the following instructions to get rid of Task Switching:

“- Launch the Start Menu & type the word theme.

- Then, cursor down until you find Change the theme & press Enter.

- Then, cursor up & down & left & right until you find Windows Classic& press Enter to select it.

- Then, press alt to get the File Menu & press Enter on Close.

Although I have looked several times, the only choices I see are:

1.            “Unsaved Themes”

2.            “Synced Themes”

Then, I see:

“Windows”, followed by: “Lines and Colors” (spelled incorrectly) and ”Flowers”.

-              and a line with:

“HP”, and 4 items under this heading:

“High Contrast #1”, “High Contrast #2”, “High Contrast Glack” and “High Contrast White”

I did not see “windows classic”.

By the way, I am using a Windows 8.1, 64-bit PC, with JAWS 17.0.1337.

Please tell me what I’m missing in these instructions.  Or, is there another way to get rid of “Task Switching”?

Thank you.

Jim H

Jim,

You may want to have a look at the Windows Classic Shell.  It's been around for years now and essentially replaces the Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 interface with something much more like Windows 7.

Brian

HAMILTON

Brian: Yes, I already have "Windows Classic Shell. How can I determine if it is working properly? Perhaps, the problem lies there. Jim H

Jim,

I am struggling to understand what you're trying to describe with the phrase "task switching."    I don't have the usual access to a Win8.1 computer at the moment, but I don't recall anything akin to the Windows 10 task view button on the task bar.

When I hear "task switching" I immediately jump to being able to switch between active programs using ALT+TAB.

Brian

HAMILTON

Brian: Again, sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this issue. "Task switching" does refer to "being able to switch between active programs using ALT+TAB". Sometimes, when you press ALT+TAB to "switch" to another file/application, You "land" on each item as you ALT+TAB your way through the open files/applications, and you can immediately start to work on a file/application. However, at other times, you have to press enter/spacebar, when you land on the file/application that you are seeking - when "task switching"; because, all you see is the "title" of that window, and you cannot work on that file/application. To avoid having to worry about that coming up from time to time, someone sent instructions on "Changing Themes", which involved changing to the "Windows Classic" theme. I thought that I had "Windows Classic" working on my PC already; but, when I followed those instructions, and tried to look for it, I could not find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a link for "Windows Classic". I am not convinced that it does not exist on my system; but, I cannot find it, and it is useless to search without knowing exactly where I should be looking for this on my system. It seems to have disappeared, perhaps around the time I was having "general problems" with my PC last year. Thanks very much. Jim H

Jim,

This should not have anything to do with the theme you're using, at least in my experience.  

I have access to a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win8.1 Home 64-bit.   The themes included are three Windows Default Themes:  Windows, Lines & Colors, & Flowers.  Five installed themes from Toshiba, which don't warrant mentioning by name, and four high contrast themes: High Contrast #1, High Contrast #2, High Contrast Black, and High Contrast White.

There is no theme by the name of Windows Classic.  This machine has had no customizations made with regard to themes, so I have little doubt that what shows up on any Win8.1 machine will be a couple of straight Windows themes, the high contrast themes, and whatever custom themes the device manufacturer might choose to include.

Brian

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Jim,

To change your Desktop Theme to, Windows Classic, try the following:
1. While on the desktop press, control + spacebar, to make sure that nothing is selected.
2. Open the context menu with the applications key or, shift + F10, arrow down to Personalize & press enter.
3. You will now be in the Themes Gallery.  here  the different themes are in columns & rows.  To find the Windows Classic Theme, arrow down to Windows7 Basic, & right arrow 1 time to Windows Classic & press enter.

Also, changing themes  will probably change your Sound Schemes as well.  So, you might have to alter your sound schemes to get the sounds you want.
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: Changing themes, using the "start memu", to get rid of "task switching" ...

Brian: Again, sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this issue. "Task switching" does refer to "being able to switch between active programs using ALT+TAB". Sometimes, when you press ALT+TAB to "switch" to another file/application, You "land" on each item as you ALT+TAB your way through the open files/applications, and you can immediately start to work on a file/application. However, at other times, you have to press enter/spacebar, when you land on the file/application that you are seeking - when "task switching"; because, all you see is the "title" of that window, and you cannot work on that file/application. To avoid having to worry about that coming up from time to time, someone sent instructions on "Changing Themes", which involved changing to the "Windows Classic" theme. I thought that I had "Windows Classic" working on my PC already; but, when I followed those instructions, and tried to look for it, I could not find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a link for "Windows Classic". I am not convinced that it does not exist on my system; but, I cannot find it, and it is useless to search without knowing exactly where I should be looking for this on my system. It seems to have disappeared, perhaps around the time I was having "general problems" with my PC last year. Thanks very much. Jim H

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 03:38 pm, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
To find the Windows Classic Theme, arrow down to Windows7 Basic, & right arrow 1 time to Windows Classic & press enter.

I have never seen either of these themes on a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine.  Windows 7 Basic existed on all Windows 7 machines and Windows Classic on some.  The machine that Jim has is running Win8.1 64-bit.

Brian

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brian & Jim,

I am terribly sorry!  I thought Jim was running Windows 7.  I must have missed what OS he was running.
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: Changing themes, using the "start memu", to get rid of "task switching" ...

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 03:38 pm, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
To find the Windows Classic Theme, arrow down to Windows7 Basic, & right arrow 1 time to Windows Classic & press enter.

I have never seen either of these themes on a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine.  Windows 7 Basic existed on all Windows 7 machines and Windows Classic on some.  The machine that Jim has is running Win8.1 64-bit.

Brian

HAMILTON

Then, can I assume that Windows Classic Theme does not exist for Windows 8.1? If so, I have been wasting everyone's time! However, if it is available for Windows 8.1, please send the instructions for getting it installed on my PC. Thanks. Jim H

Jim,

Since I generally discourage people from going the "make it look like an older version" route, for many reasons, I cannot answer your question so far as how well any of the created "Windows Classic" themes that can be acquired for Windows 8.1 actually work.

Take a look at some of the results from this DuckDuckGo search for Windows Classic Theme for Windows 8.1.  It will be trial and error to see if you can find something that truly meets your needs.

Brian

Jim,

As a P.S., I'd also encourage you to start looking into upgrading to Windows 10.  I loved Windows 7 and was really, really ambivalent about Windows 8/8.1, but Windows 10 really is a merger of the best of both of its immediate predecessors.

You may want to consider joining the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users group just to follow the experiences of others as a part of your decision making process.

Brian

David Moore

Hi Jim,
I encourage you like Brian said. I used Windows 8.1, and liked it compared to Windows 7. Now, win10 is indeed the best of win7 and win8.1. Here are just some of the pluses you will get with win10. First, you will be able to use universal apps like one does on a smartphone. Second, you will be able to use Cortana. You can ask cortana to open any settings on your computer, whether forcast in your area or anyware in the world, conversion questions, and on and on. Cortana beats Siri by far. This is just the beginning. The settings app has many of your settings in 9 groups that are so easy to navigate. The start area is better than Windows 7 by far. Win10 is much faster than win7. I could go on and on, and upgrading is totally free and painless. I encourage you to join win10@groups.io as well, and read how others are loving win10. Have a great one.

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:29 PM

Jim,

As a P.S., I'd also encourage you to start looking into upgrading to Windows 10.  I loved Windows 7 and was really, really ambivalent about Windows 8/8.1, but Windows 10 really is a merger of the best of both of its immediate predecessors.

You may want to consider joining the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users group just to follow the experiences of others as a part of your decision making process.

Brian

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I can’t get Cortana to work for the life of me!

Someone should listen to see where I’m messing up.

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:42 AM
To: jfw@groups.io

Hi Jim,

I encourage you like Brian said. I used Windows 8.1, and liked it compared to Windows 7. Now, win10 is indeed the best of win7 and win8.1. Here are just some of the pluses you will get with win10. First, you will be able to use universal apps like one does on a smartphone. Second, you will be able to use Cortana. You can ask cortana to open any settings on your computer, whether forcast in your area or anyware in the world, conversion questions, and on and on. Cortana beats Siri by far. This is just the beginning. The settings app has many of your settings in 9 groups that are so easy to navigate. The start area is better than Windows 7 by far. Win10 is much faster than win7. I could go on and on, and upgrading is totally free and painless. I encourage you to join win10@groups.io as well, and read how others are loving win10. Have a great one.

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:29 PM

Jim,

As a P.S., I'd also encourage you to start looking into upgrading to Windows 10.  I loved Windows 7 and was really, really ambivalent about Windows 8/8.1, but Windows 10 really is a merger of the best of both of its immediate predecessors.

Brian

Cortana is dependent on having the correct hardware (a microphone is required if you want to interact with her verbally) as well as Windows 10 settings.

Out of the box, if your hardware has the required elements, you log in with a Microsoft Account or can provide the necessary Microsoft Account credentials to use Cortana if you use a local account, and you haven't intentionally disabled her she should function.  The "Hey Cortana" feature is not (or at least was not) enabled by default.

If you or anyone else wants to delve into Cortana I will be happy to do so either on the Windows 10 Screen Reader Users forum or privately.  She falls quite outside the scope of JFW in terms of deep discussion.

Brian

HAMILTON

Brian and David: Thanks for the encouragement re Windows 10. However, I have been monitoring the situation/everyone's experiences with upgrading. At this point, I am using a Windows 8.1 64-bit PC, with J17.0.1337, IE11 and MS Office 2013), and, fingers crossed, it seems to be working pretty well for me right now. I am happy that I have not experienced as many problems as some others on this list seem to experience. Perhaps, I have just been lucky. So for now, my line is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Nonetheless, it is my intention to upgrade to Windows some time before the deadline; but, I would prefer that Microsoft get as many of the bugs out before I do that. For now, I can do without the Windows Classic Theme. In fact, I thought that it was still working in Windows 8.1, and did not realize that it could not. Meanwhile, thanks GUYS! Jim H