Changing themes, using the "start memu", to get rid of "task switching" ...

HAMILTON

Hello:

Some time ago, someone provided the following instructions to get rid of Task Switching:

“- Launch the Start Menu & type the word theme.

- Then, cursor down until you find Change the theme & press Enter.

- Then, cursor up & down & left & right until you find Windows Classic& press Enter to select it.

- Then, press alt to get the File Menu & press Enter on Close.

Although I have looked several times, the only choices I see are:

1.            “Unsaved Themes”

2.            “Synced Themes”

Then, I see:

“Windows”, followed by: “Lines and Colors” (spelled incorrectly) and ”Flowers”.

-              and a line with:

“HP”, and 4 items under this heading:

“High Contrast #1”, “High Contrast #2”, “High Contrast Glack” and “High Contrast White”

I did not see “windows classic”.

By the way, I am using a Windows 8.1, 64-bit PC, with JAWS 17.0.1337.

Please tell me what I’m missing in these instructions.  Or, is there another way to get rid of “Task Switching”?

Thank you.

Jim H

Jim,

         You may want to have a look at the Windows Classic Shell.  It's been around for years now and essentially replaces the Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 interface with something much more like Windows 7.

Brian

HAMILTON

Brian: Yes, I already have "Windows Classic Shell. How can I determine if it is working properly? Perhaps, the problem lies there. Jim H

Jim,

        I am struggling to understand what you're trying to describe with the phrase "task switching."    I don't have the usual access to a Win8.1 computer at the moment, but I don't recall anything akin to the Windows 10 task view button on the task bar.

        When I hear "task switching" I immediately jump to being able to switch between active programs using ALT+TAB.

Brian

HAMILTON

Brian: Again, sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this issue. "Task switching" does refer to "being able to switch between active programs using ALT+TAB". Sometimes, when you press ALT+TAB to "switch" to another file/application, You "land" on each item as you ALT+TAB your way through the open files/applications, and you can immediately start to work on a file/application. However, at other times, you have to press enter/spacebar, when you land on the file/application that you are seeking - when "task switching"; because, all you see is the "title" of that window, and you cannot work on that file/application. To avoid having to worry about that coming up from time to time, someone sent instructions on "Changing Themes", which involved changing to the "Windows Classic" theme. I thought that I had "Windows Classic" working on my PC already; but, when I followed those instructions, and tried to look for it, I could not find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a link for "Windows Classic". I am not convinced that it does not exist on my system; but, I cannot find it, and it is useless to search without knowing exactly where I should be looking for this on my system. It seems to have disappeared, perhaps around the time I was having "general problems" with my PC last year. Thanks very much. Jim H

Jim,

        This should not have anything to do with the theme you're using, at least in my experience.

        I have access to a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win8.1 Home 64-bit.   The themes included are three Windows Default Themes:  Windows, Lines & Colors, & Flowers.  Five installed themes from Toshiba, which don't warrant mentioning by name, and four high contrast themes: High Contrast #1, High Contrast #2, High Contrast Black, and High Contrast White.

        There is no theme by the name of Windows Classic.  This machine has had no customizations made with regard to themes, so I have little doubt that what shows up on any Win8.1 machine will be a couple of straight Windows themes, the high contrast themes, and whatever custom themes the device manufacturer might choose to include.

Brian

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Jim,

To change your Desktop Theme to, Windows Classic, try the following:
1. While on the desktop press, control + spacebar, to make sure that nothing is selected.
2. Open the context menu with the applications key or, shift + F10, arrow down to Personalize & press enter.
3. You will now be in the Themes Gallery.  here  the different themes are in columns & rows.  To find the Windows Classic Theme, arrow down to Windows7 Basic, & right arrow 1 time to Windows Classic & press enter.

Also, changing themes  will probably change your Sound Schemes as well.  So, you might have to alter your sound schemes to get the sounds you want.
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 03:38 pm, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
To find the Windows Classic Theme, arrow down to Windows7 Basic, & right arrow 1 time to Windows Classic & press enter.

 I have never seen either of these themes on a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine.  Windows 7 Basic existed on all Windows 7 machines and Windows Classic on some.  The machine that Jim has is running Win8.1 64-bit.

Brian

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brian & Jim,

I am terribly sorry!  I thought Jim was running Windows 7.  I must have missed what OS he was running.