Is accessible Google gone forever?

Ann Byrne

Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone? When I try to use it, I get the following message:

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
Thanks,

Ann Byrne

Oh, boy! Would it help if I gave the address????
http://www.google.com/accessibility/labs/search/

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone? When I try to use it, I get the following message:

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
Thanks,

Gaylen Kapperman

Ann, I just tried it and I get the very same error message.
Gaylen Kapperman

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone? When I try to
use it, I get the following message:

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
Thanks,

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Ann,

I clicked on the link you provided & it worked just fine.
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
>Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone?  When I try to
>use it, I get the following message:
>

>We're sorry...
>
>... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
>To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
>
>Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
>Thanks,

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Again Ann,

I forgot to say that I was using Windows 7 & IE11.

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
>Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone?  When I try to
>use it, I get the following message:
>

>We're sorry...
>
>... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
>To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
>
>Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
>Thanks,

Gaylen Kapperman

Mike did you try to do a search. I clicked on the same link and it came up just fine but when you attempt a search is when you get that goofy error message. Wonder if they have been hacked.

Gaylen Kapperman

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
>Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone?  When I try to
>use it, I get the following message:
>

>We're sorry...
>
>... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
>To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
>
>Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
>Thanks,

Ann,

          I have no idea at all why Google even allows the search entry on that page to exist.  Right next to the search criteria entry box is a paragraph which reads:

In July 2006, we launched a small search experiment called Accessible Search, which searched the web for pages that were more accessible to browsers at the time. Since then, much has changed on the web, and this experiment is no longer supported. To learn more about accessibility and search, see Accessibility in Google Search.

I think that everyone searching from that page is going to get some sort of error message.  I get the precise one you did.

Brian

Ann Byrne

Brian,

That message has been there forever, but the search used to work beeeeeeeautifully anyway. It laid out really clean pages of results, despite assuring us that it didn't work. Looks like now it actually doesn't.

Boooohoooo!

At 09:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:

Ann,

I have no idea at all why Google even allows the search entry on that page to exist. Right next to the search criteria entry box is a paragraph which reads:

In July 2006, we launched a small search experiment called Accessible Search, which searched the web for pages that were more accessible to browsers at the time. Since then, much has changed on the web, and this experiment is no longer supported. To learn more about accessibility and search, see <http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=181196>Accessibility in Google Search.

I think that everyone searching from that page is going to get some sort of error message. I get the precise one you did.

Brian

Ann,

        Well, I did a "Get In Touch" query to Google Accessibility asking whether this latest development is permanent or if there is a glitch that might be resolved.  If I hear anything back I'll post it here.

Brian

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Ann & Gaylen,

Well, after doing a search I did get that message, but this is what I got after clicking on the Google Help link:

"Unusual traffic from your computer network" - Search Help
Google apps
Sign in
Search Help
What can we help you with?
What can we help you with?
Google Search
Search Help
Help forum
article
"Unusual traffic from your computer network"

You might see "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network" if it seems like a computer or phone on your network is sending automated
traffic to Google.

What Google considers automated traffic
list of 2 items
Sending searches from a robot, computer program, automated service, or search scraper
Using software that sends searches to Google to see how a website or webpage ranks on Google
list end

What to do when you see this message

The error page most likely shows a CAPTCHA (a squiggly word with a box below it). To continue using Google, type the squiggly word into the box. It's how
we know you're a human, not a robot. After you type the CAPTCHA correctly, the message will go away and you can use Google again.
I don't have any idea on how to get to a CAPTCHA that Jaws doesn't report, or how to solve a CAPTCHA that we can't find, or even if we could solve the CAPTCHA that would fix the accessibility issue that's being presented.

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
>Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone?  When I try to
>use it, I get the following message:
>

>We're sorry...
>
>... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
>To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
>
>Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
>Thanks,

Marsha <marcatony@...>

HI
  When I went to the site, it said that the site was no longer supported.  It said check accessibility.  Hope this helps.

Marsha

judith bron

I couldn't access Google after switching to Chrome but then I noticed a
Google Chrome icon on my desk top and accessed it. Now I can use a Google
search whenever I want. JB

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone? When I try to
use it, I get the following message:

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become
inactive??
Thanks,

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

It says it is no longer supported. I quote the following
In July 2006, we launched a small search experiment called Accessible Search, which searched the web for pages that were more accessible to browsers at the time. Since then, much has changed on the web, and this experiment is no longer supported. To learn more about accessibility and search, see
Accessibility in Google Search.

Tom Bisset

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone? When I try to
use it, I get the following message:

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
Thanks,

Gerald Levy

And the reason that accessible Google is no longer supported is that it was a big, fat waste of time. Too often, accessible Google returned search results that were not very accessible or else omitted sites that were accessible. Just use the regular version of Google or Startpage.com to find what you're looking for. Then, browse through the search results and when you find a link to a page you are interested in,activate it, and if the page turns out to be inaccessible, search for a link to an accessible version of that page. For instance, if you visit Amazon.com, there is a link at the top of the Amazon home page for an accessible version of Amazon that is optimized to work with screen readers.

Gerald

At 08:21 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
Is the accessible Google web site working for anyone? When I try to
use it, I get the following message:

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries.
To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Is there a way around this message, or has this site finally become inactive??
Thanks,

Marianne Denning

I have seen the link on the Google page for years but never used it.
I have always used the standard Google search and found out for myself
how accessible certain webpages were. Yes, I have been on several
inaccessible web pages and a few of them have actually locked up my
computer causing a forced restart but then I know to stay away from
those sites when they come up in my search. I also know that
"accessible" means something different to different people. It really
depends on how knowledgeable someone is on using different JAWS and
Windows commands. Flash is what is driving me crazy at the moment.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053