How To Turn Auto-Numbering And Lettering Off In Outlook 2016

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am not sure if this happened as a result of a recent update, but somehow, auto-numbering and auto-lettering has now been turned on in my Outlook 2016 e-mail program.

I would prefer to keep auto-numbering and lettering off if possible.

Can someone tell me where to find the setting to turn these features off?

I’m just not remembering, since it’s been a number of years since I had to do this.

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

CathyAnne Murtha

1. Open Outlook backstage (ALT-F)

2. Navigate the list of options with UP and DOWN ARROW and activate "Options" (T)

This opens the Outlook Options dialog. Within the dialog:

  1. Navigate the list of categories with UP and DOWN ARROW and focus on “Mail”
  2. The options for “Mail” are displayed on the right side of the dialog
  3. Navigate into the Mail options with TAB and SHIFT-TAB. Focus on "Spelling and Autocorrect"
  4. Activate the "Spelling and Autocorrect" button with SPACEBAR

This opens the "Editor Options" dialog

  1. By default, focus is on the "Proofing" options. If you want to make sure you're focused on "Proofing," use UP and DOWN ARROW
  2. When focused on “Proofing,” the proofing options are displayed on the right side of the dialog
  3. Navigate among the Proofing options with TAB and SHIFT-TAB
  4. Locate the "Autocorrect Options" button and activate it with SPACEBAR

This opens the Autocorrect dialog.

This dialog contains several property sheets. Navigate among the property sheets with CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB. The “Autoformat as you Type” property sheet is the third property sheet so you should only have to press this command twice.

You can make sure you're on the right property sheet by  using SHIFT-TAB until focus is on the property sheet tab. You want to make sure focus is on "Autoformat as you Type." There is also an "Autoformat" property sheet but it isn't the same.

when focused in the “Autoformat as you Type” property sheet, navigate among the options with TAB and SHIFT-TAB. Locate the following two options:

  • Automatic bulleted lists
  • Automatic numbered lists

These are checkboxes. Toggle the checkboxes on and off with SPACEBAR.

Activate the OK button to save the changes and close the dialog.

This returns focus to the Editor options dialog. Activate the "OK" button to save the changes and close the dialog. Repeat the OK button activation for the Settings dialog and you’re done!

They buried it a bit, didn’t’ they?

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 300-7859

I am not sure if this happened as a result of a recent update, but somehow, auto-numbering and auto-lettering has now been turned on in my Outlook 2016 e-mail program.

I would prefer to keep auto-numbering and lettering off if possible.

Can someone tell me where to find the setting to turn these features off?

I’m just not remembering, since it’s been a number of years since I had to do this.

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Cathyanne:

It took me two tries, but I got your instructions to work.

And, I have saved them for future reference.

And you’re right;  they sure did bury the needed settings!!

Thanks so much for the very thorough instructions!

Dr.  tom Behler from Michigan