Creating accessible, fillable PDFs?

Johnson, Joanne

Hi Everyone,

I am having a lot of trouble making this fillable PDF accessible. (Both attached and at this link: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/oni/article/661427 )

Three JAWS users have said it’s not screen reader accessible. Specifically, that JAWS just says “document processing” and does not read the text.

  I’ve added tooltips to the form fields, tagged the text, and adjusted the reading
  order. The “Read Out Loud” feature in adobe reads everything correctly. I’ve done a lot of research online, including using several guides to create accessible, fillable PDF forms and I’m still stuck.

 But when I run the accessibility checker, it does show *something *is off. it asks me to “caption” an “image” and it’s referring to all of page one!

I’m wondering if I tagged something incorrectly or the file size is somehow beyond the capacity of JAWs (which seems unlikely).

Do you have any ideas about what went wrong or how to make it right?

Also, we are hoping to find a company who can create accessible documents and forms so that we know they are accessible the first time, every time. Does anyone have any suggestions for companies that do good work?

We would especially love to use an organization that prioritizes the lived experience of people who need/use assistive technology and one located in or near Portland, Oregon. But we’re open to any suggestions.

 Thanks for anything you can offer. I really appreciate your expertise and skill.

Joanne

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hi Joanne,

I live in Portland.

I can confirm the document is not accessible.

Have you heard of the Easi.cc website?  They host lots of webinars, some paid and some free.  I know they have done them on creating accessible PDF fillable forms.

Check it out at:

http://www.easi.cc/

HTH,

Richard

[...]

Thanks--I'll check it out.

Jonas Voll

Sounds like the PDF may be an image!

caption” an “image” and it’s referring to all of page one

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

and
'spam@...'

Michael Mote

Hi there!  Can you send me the PDF file as an attachment, and let me see what happens on my end.  I’ve been working a lot on these myself, and would like to help you if I can.

[...]

Hi Jonah,

Perhaps...

The PDF was created from a Word document using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. The read-out-loud feature in Adobe works, all the text is tagged, and I can highlight text with a cursor.

Is there anything further I can do to indicate to JAWS and other screen readers that it is not an image?

Joanne

Johnson, Joanne

Hi Michael,

Thanks for being willing to take a look. How do I send an attachment to you? I don't see the option here..

Jonas Voll

Not that I can think, and I do not have the full adobe software!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

The PDF was created from a Word document using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. The read-out-loud feature in Adobe works, all the text is tagged, and I can highlight text with a cursor.

Is there anything further I can do to indicate to JAWS and other screen readers that it is not an image?

Joanne

and
'spam@...'

As a quick aside, I have always found that MS-Word forms, using the legacy form fields, are a lot more accessible and screen-reader friendly than PDFs are.

Very few people even know how to create a form template (and I don't mean a regular document template) in MS-Word.  I have no idea why these have never taken off, but I've used them with a number of clients and can provide examples if someone wants them.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Michael Mote

Hi Brian!  I would be interested in learning more about this.  I have tried to create forms in Word.  I’ve had success  with that, but my problems start when I save the form as a PDF.  The form doesn’t translate over tr the way that it should.  For instance, my edit fields are not recognized by Adobe Acrobat.  I know I must be doing something wrong, but have never been able to figure it out.

As a quick aside, I have always found that MS-Word forms, using the legacy form fields, are a lot more accessible and screen-reader friendly than PDFs are.

Very few people even know how to create a form template (and I don't mean a regular document template) in MS-Word.  I have no idea why these have never taken off, but I've used them with a number of clients and can provide examples if someone wants them.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

Johnson, Joanne

Thanks Brian! I would love an example. I'm familiar with MS Word, including Styles to increase accessibility, but not forms.

Also...I've had several screen reader users recently tell me they generally can't access Word or that they prefer PDF.  I am guessing it's because not everyone has Word, but if you have other thoughts as to why this might be, please let me know.

Thank you!