From: "Brian Prewitt" <bprewitt@msblind.org>
To: <jfw@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:21 PM
Subject: 40 minute mode after standby

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know why Jaws 15 goes to 40 minute mode after a Windows 7 laptop is awoken from standby? The message we get is that Jaws needs to be activated. This message pops up immediately after returning from Standby before the password can be typed in.

Thank you for your help.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brian Prewitt

What could I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2016, at 6:25 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:

Hi, Brian. Sounds as if some major component of the computer has not awoke by the time JAWS and the password dialogue comes up. Maybe this is giving the laptop a different configuration than it normally has. This would fool JAWS into thinking it isn't the same computer. This would give it a different locking code. With a different locking code, your activation code won't be valid, so JAWS goes into 40-minute mode.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Prewitt" <bprewitt@msblind.org>
Does anyone know why Jaws 15 goes to 40 minute mode after a Windows 7 laptop is awoken from standby? The message we get is that Jaws needs to be activated. This message pops up immediately after returning from Standby before the password can be typed in.

Thank you for your help.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

Shan Noyes

RI run Jaws 17 on windows seven and for the past few versions of jaws sometimes when I have the screen locked and go and unlock it it says jaws is in 40 minute moat but I type in my password then it goes back to my desktop and jaws is happy and no longer in 40 minute mode that has been my experience
So nothing to worry about from my point of you have a nice day shan
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2016, at 6:42 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@msblind.org> wrote:

[...]

When I began to type the password I heard a ding for every keystroke and didn't see the cursor in the password field.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2016, at 9:11 PM, Shan Noyes <noyes01@sasktel.net> wrote:

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I don't know, because I don't know which component or periferal device is causing your computer to think one of the devices is nonexistent. The only way you can avoid this is to turn off stand-by, or to find out exactly which device isn't coming online quickly after awakening the computer.
[...]

You must make sure you are in the dialogue box requiring your password. 40-minute mode should have no detrimental effect on interacting with the password field, since even those with 40-minute mode have access to most aspects of JAWS.
[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

As soon as I went to 7 Pro in late 2013, I found out that standby made a real mess of things, and disabled it.

Ted

[...]

Stan Mutuma <stanmutuma@...>

Thanks brian,
I have also faced a similar challenge with the version of JAWS.
I have overcome this by entering my password and it comes back to normal.
Secondly, I lost my open book license in this manner. One day after
my computer went on demo mode and I put on the password, the JAWS,
was restored however the open book lost its license.
I would like to seek assistance on how to restore my open book license.
With kind regards and best wishes,
Stan

On 2/18/16, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov> wrote:
As soon as I went to 7 Pro in late 2013, I found out that standby made a
real mess of things, and disabled it.

Ted

Does anyone know why Jaws 15 goes to 40 minute mode after a Windows
7 laptop is awoken from standby? The message we get is that Jaws
needs to be activated. This message pops up immediately after
returning from Standby before the password can be typed in.

Thank you for your help.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone

signature database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 13046 (20160217) __________

http://www.eset.com

HAMILTON

Often, I have been advised to get rid of "stand-by mode" altogether, and have heard this recommendation given, especially to JAWS users over the years, . The current situation would seem to be another example of why this mode can be difficult. Jim H