Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 09:52
Subject: Jaws 2018 goes silent at PIN log-in

I just updated to Windows 10 Fall edition. Now when I turn my PC on Jaws 2018 speaks some background activity at the PIN log-in prompt and then goes silent. I have to load Narrator to enter my PIN and Jaws comes back to life. Also it doesn’t show up in the system tray and pressing JawsKey-J does not work. If I unload Jaws and restart it again it works fine. The same thing happens with my laptop. Is anyone else experiencing this with the PIN login in particular?

John

John Gurd

Yes, that was the first thing I checked. It is set to load at the logon screen. I think it may not be scripted for the Windows Fall Edition PIN login. That’s why I’d like to hear from anyone using the same login.

John

On 2017-11-19 10:52 AM, John Gurd via Groups.Io wrote:

I just updated to Windows 10 Fall edition. Now when I turn my PC on Jaws 2018 speaks some background activity at the PIN log-in prompt and then goes silent. I have to load Narrator to enter my PIN and Jaws comes back to life. Also it doesn’t show up in the system tray and pressing JawsKey-J does not work. If I unload Jaws and restart it again it works fine. The same thing happens with my laptop. Is anyone else experiencing this with the PIN login in particular?

John

Robert Logue

I should read more carefully.

I'm not using a pin but I do experience the same problem with Jaws not talking at the logon screen, especially after waking up.

Blob

On 2017-11-19 10:52 AM, John Gurd via Groups.Io wrote:

I just updated to Windows 10 Fall edition. Now when I turn my PC on Jaws 2018 speaks some background activity at the PIN log-in prompt and then goes silent. I have to load Narrator to enter my PIN and Jaws comes back to life. Also it doesn’t show up in the system tray and pressing JawsKey-J does not work. If I unload Jaws and restart it again it works fine. The same thing happens with my laptop. Is anyone else experiencing this with the PIN login in particular?

John

Maria Campbell

My JAWS 2018 goes silent if I do an insert plus space plus s to turn speech off for some time then try to get speech back.  This is why I keep NVDA as a back up.

lucky1inct@...

--St. Francis

On 2017-11-19 10:52 AM, John Gurd via Groups.Io wrote:

I just updated to Windows 10 Fall edition. Now when I turn my PC on Jaws 2018 speaks some background activity at the PIN log-in prompt and then goes silent. I have to load Narrator to enter my PIN and Jaws comes back to life. Also it doesn’t show up in the system tray and pressing JawsKey-J does not work. If I unload Jaws and restart it again it works fine. The same thing happens with my laptop. Is anyone else experiencing this with the PIN login in particular?

John

John Gurd

I found a technical support notice on the FreedomScientific website about the Jaws issue I described some days ago. There is hoped to be a fix in the next update release. In the meantime there is a work-around (see the link below).

John

http://www.freedomscientific.com/Support/TechnicalSupport/Bulletin/1662

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Alan Robbins

For some odd reason, I do not experience this problem. Read the article you referenced below but did not change anything as all seems to be working ok. Only time I may have seen this is when I was remotely connected with Microsoft accessibility. When the agent rebooted my machine she said to type in my pin and I said I was not at the log in screen yet as I had not heard JAWS. She said I was at the log in screen and it was waiting for my pin. I just assumed this had to do with being remotely connected but maybe it is the problem you speak of below. However, this is the only time it happened.

Best,
Al