Jaws doesn't speak new output in command prompt as it appears

Tony Malykh

Hello listers,

I work a lot in command prompt window (also known as console/terminal)
in Windows. Some time ago, probably a few months ago, Jaws stopped
reading new output as it appears in the window. I can still get the
current line by pressing Insert+8, or I can switch to Jaws cursor and
read all the contents, but that's pretty inefficient, since I'd have
to do it for every command that I type. Is this a bug in Jaws or is
there a magic checkbox in Jaws settings that I need to check to make
it to work?

I know there is one workaround for this: turning one "Use legacy
console" checkbox in command prompt options solves the issue. That's
what I have been using so far, but now I need to use a program that
requires the new console.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you
Tony

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tony. Which version of Windows are you using. I am having the same problem with Command prompt. The only thing I could is to use Narrator during command prompt operations. Incidentally, the same thing occurs in Power Shell.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I work a lot in command prompt window (also known as console/terminal)
in Windows. Some time ago, probably a few months ago, Jaws stopped
reading new output as it appears in the window. I can still get the
current line by pressing Insert+8, or I can switch to Jaws cursor and
read all the contents, but that's pretty inefficient, since I'd have
to do it for every command that I type. Is this a bug in Jaws or is
there a magic checkbox in Jaws settings that I need to check to make
it to work?

I know there is one workaround for this: turning one "Use legacy
console" checkbox in command prompt options solves the issue. That's
what I have been using so far, but now I need to use a program that
requires the new console.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you
Tony

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Win 10 changed the way this is accessed. Right now Narroator is the only screen reader that works with the new interface.

--
Sincerely: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.

Marten Post Uiterweer

Tony,

If you are using win10:
Microsoft has changed the console window. I hope screenreaders can
support this in future.
You can use the old stile and then the screenreader will read as normal.
Open a console window and press alt-space.
Go to properties and tab to the option to use the old console.

Marten

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:19:09 -0800 "Tony Malykh" <anton.malykh@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Tony. I just spoke to VFO technical support. They are aware of this command prompt bug, and they plan to put out updated versions of JAWS which fix the problem.

[...]

Thank you! Yes, I am using Windows 10. Hope they will fix it in Jaws
soon, since it seems to be such basic functionality.

On 11/10/17, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi Tony and Bill,

Here's the solution to your problem:-

Go into a command line.

Press Alt-Space then down to Properties.

In there, make sure that Legacy Console is ticked.

Now JAWS should be happier about reading the command line.

Good luck.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Incorrect. See my previous message.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Sally Hagarty

Could you explain how to open a new console window? This terminology does not sound familiar. Thank you.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Press the Windows key, then type “cmd” without the quotes.  You should hear Command Prompt Desktop App.  Now press your applications key or right click it, and select Run As Administrator.  Then you can follow my previous steps.

But if you don’t use the command prompt, you don’t need to worry about it.

All the best

Steve

Could you explain how to open a new console window? This terminology does not sound familiar. Thank you.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Worked as you described for me, thanks.

Could you explain how to open a new console window? This terminology does not sound familiar. Thank you.

Tony Malykh

Actually, I just tried NVDA and the new console works fine with it
and it speaks new output as it appears. In case if anyone is
interested.

Worked as you described for me, thanks.

Could you explain how to open a new console window? This terminology does
not sound familiar. Thank you.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

It will be fixed in the next update to JAWS.

My work around is good enough for the moment though.

All the best

Steve

Actually, I just tried NVDA and the new console works fine with it and it speaks new output as it appears. In case if anyone is interested.

Worked as you described for me, thanks.

Could you explain how to open a new console window? This terminology
does not sound familiar. Thank you.

Tony Malykh

Today my Jaws was updated to version 18.4532. The bug is still there. Just FYI.