Outlook 2016 Address Field Issue

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

This morning, I just discovered a major problem with Outlook 2016 when originating an e-mail.

When I start a new e-mail with control N, I can no longer type a contact address into the “to” field.  When I do this, I get kicked out of my new e-mail, and get placed back into my inbox.

Interestingly, I can go to my contacts list, and copy and paste the e-mail address into the to field with no problem.  I can also reply to e-mails with no problem.

Once again, the issue occurs when originating an e-mail and trying to access someone in my contacts list.

I am using Jaws 18, Outlook 2016 with Office 365, and Windows 7 here.

Has anyone recently experienced this issue, and if so, have you found a fix?

I am eligible to upgrade to Jaws 2018, and will do so when I get the chance.

However, in the meantime, I’d like to be able to quickly originate e-mails in the usual way if at all possible.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

No, this is not an issue. However, on my Windows 7 PC’s I still can’t use Control+Shift+I to return to my default Inbox and in Excel if I dare to start a formula by typing the equals sign it crashes right away.

If, for example, I want to do a formula like =A1+A2, I have to first type A1+A2, then if I go back with F2 and edit the cell I can put an equals sign in front of it and tab and then the formula works. Alternatively I have to type out all formulas in Notepad and then paste them into Excel.

On my Windows 10 laptop this is not an issue.

This, by the way, is happening both with the latest update of Jaws 18 as well as Jaws 2018.

[...]

CathyAnne Murtha <cathy@...>

Two suggestions come to mind.

  1. Try a reboot. Hopefully that will fix the issue
  2. If the reboot doesn’t work, you can try repairing outlook through the “Programs and Features” applet of the Control Panel

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 300-7859

[...]

Cathyanne:

I tried re-booting, with no luck.

I have never done an Outlook repair, so can you tell me how to carry that out once I find it in programs and features?

In other words, what do I look for, and where do I find the Outlook repair option?

One other thing I will try is NVDA.  I’ll see if the problem replicates itself with that screen reader.

Thanks for your response.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

Hi Tom,

I highly doubt that has anything to do with an Outlook repair, it’s probably just another Office update where Microsoft decided to break things. I would call Microsoft Accessibility and show them, I am planning to do just that once I get to work today. It is my guess that there is no work-around other than to start an email from your Contacts. For me even pasting in a complete address will crash it.

[...]

Sieghard:

If you do end up calling Microsoft Accessibility about the Outlook address field issue, please let me know what they say.

I will probably not have the time to do so until early next week, due to a number of projects and issues I’ve got going on now.

I appreciate your taking the lead on this, since I know it’s not just me with the problem.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan