Topics

New member/OT question.

Bill Tessore

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone here Has n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by Freedom Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback on how it works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and the open book software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the Pearl, the El Braille 40 (when it becomes US available),and related software to facilitate my literary Braille occupation. Thanks in advance for your help and indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Randy Meyer

Bill:

I purchased an ElBraille 14 about three months ago to use in place of my
Hims Braille Sense 32 cell notetaker.

First, my understanding was that you might be able to use the ElBraille in
place of a main computer has proven to be wrong. The ElBraille has a tablet
processor, which is not as fast and responsive as my three year old desk top
computer. It is similar in speed to my Asus tablet I purchased around three
years ago. Although, I do not use the Asus tablet enough to have a good
comparison, and my ElBraille 14 may be faster, it is not as fast and
responsive as my desk top computer.

I do not use OpenBook or OCR on the Elbraile. I believe you will need Jaws
18. You will want to buy a USB hub to give you more than one USB port, and
I also bought an HDMI adapter with a regular monitor port for my wife to be
able to give me some feedback.

Running a computer just using the Focus 14 key board has been a learning
curve. I did cheat for a while and connected a regular key board.

The Braille translation table in Jaws does have a problem, it recognizes dg
as the degrees symbol in words. For example, budget is pronounced
bu-degrees-et. I am not sure if Jaws 2018 has an updated translation that
has corrected this. This is a Braille translation problem, not an ElBraille
problem. Also, I have not heard yet if I can update my ElBraille to run
Jaws 2018, which I am running on the rest of my computers.

There are times that I wish it was a little snappier running Outlook, Word,
and Excel, but it isn't too bad. I had been using the ElNotes program to
take notes, until I just decided today to use Wordpad instead.

The makers of the ElBraille like Fire Fox, and I do not use it. I had
started using Google Chrome, but there was problems typing into edit fields
with the Braille key board when using Chrome, which I am not sure if this is
an ElBraille problem or Jaws, but I suspect it is a Jaws problem. VFO
recommended I use Internet Explorer and Ron Miller help me get Internet
Explorer to be my default browser.

Keep in mind that this is not a VFO product, and VFO did not have a
dedicated support person for the ElBraille when I last called tech support.
Ron Miller from VFO did take the time to talk with me when I was having some
initial challenges with ElBraille. I have found it easier and quicker to
send questions direct to the Elita Group who made the ElBraille, and they do
respond fairly quickly.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions. I
still believe the best notetaker in the future will be a full featured
windows computer or tablet, which is why I am willing to go through the
challenge of using the ElBraille.

Randy Meyer

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone here Has
n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by Freedom
Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback on how it
works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and the open book
software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the Pearl, the El Braille 40
(when it becomes US available),and related software to facilitate my
literary Braille occupation. Thanks in advance for your help and indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Carol Smith

Hi Randy,

I just wanted to report to you that my Jaws 18 reads budget correctly. I am using it now, while typing this message. There may be some dictionary entry on your system that is causing this or, maybe the change took place in the 2018 upgrade. I have not yet installed my copy.

Carol

On 11/7/2017 6:05 PM, Randy Meyer wrote:
[...]

Carol:

Are you using Braille input with grade 2 turned on?

When I type budget in grade 1 Braille or with a regular key board attached,
there is no problem. I am using the latest version of Jaws 18 on my
ElBraille and when I have grade 2 Braille on for input dg still is
pronounced degrees.

I have not tried Braille input with Jaws 2018 on my desk top computer, and I
am not upgrading to Jaws 2018 on my ElBraille until I know it won't cause
other issues.

Randy Meyer

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone
here Has n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by
Freedom Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback
on how it works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and
the open book software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the
Pearl, the El Braille 40 (when it becomes US available),and related
software to facilitate my literary Braille occupation. Thanks in advance
for your help and indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Carol Smith

No, Randy. I am using my pc with a keyboard. Sorry, I did not interpret the fact that you are using braille.

Carol

On 11/8/2017 2:05 PM, Randy Meyer wrote:
[...]

Yes, only happens with Braille input. I need to find out if it still
happens with Jaws 2018. Thank you for the clarification.

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone
here Has n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by
Freedom Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback
on how it works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and
the open book software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the
Pearl, the El Braille 40 (when it becomes US available),and related
software to facilitate my literary Braille occupation. Thanks in
advance
for your help and indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Vicky Collins

Hi Randy and All,

Regarding using the ElBraille with the version of JAWS that comes on the unit, I thought I heard on one of the lists, although I can't recall which list or the exact comment, that either sleep or hibernate was unable to be used. Do you know if that is the case for either or both of these things?

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone here Has
n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by Freedom
Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback on how it
works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and the open book
software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the Pearl, the El Braille 40
(when it becomes US available),and related software to facilitate my
literary Braille occupation. Thanks in advance for your help and indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Shai

Hello Randy
The issue that you speak of where writing the word budget produces the
degrees symbol in JAWS appears to have been resolved with JAWS 2018.
I am using grade 2 braille input on a Focus braille display and I just
tried it now and the degrees symbol was not produced nor pronounced by
JAWS with speech. I tried it in Word 2016 and in this email message
here.

On 11/9/17, Randy Meyer <randymeyer@charter.net> wrote:
Yes, only happens with Braille input. I need to find out if it still
happens with Jaws 2018. Thank you for the clarification.

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone
here Has n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by
Freedom Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback
on how it works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and
the open book software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the
Pearl, the El Braille 40 (when it becomes US available),and related
software to facilitate my literary Braille occupation. Thanks in
advance
for your help and indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Randy Meyer

Vicky:

Yes, you are right. I have emailed with Elita group on wanting the ability
to lock the key board or put the unit into sleep mode. This would make it
convenient when carrying the ElBraille from one meeting to another without
having to shut it off, especially at conferences.

It takes my ElBraille about 30 seconds to boot, and then another few seconds
for me to open the program I want.

I still like my ElBraille overall, but it has not lived up to all I was
hoping for.

Randy Meyer

Hi all, I am a JAWS 17 user, and I am interested to know if anyone here Has
n El Braille 14, or knows any Users of the El Braille 14 by Freedom
Scientific? I would like to get some first-hand user feedback on how it
works for them. Particularly with regard to using JAWS and the open book
software and pearl OCR camera. I intend to use the Pearl, the El Braille
40 (when it becomes US available),and related software to facilitate my
literary Braille occupation. Thanks in advance for your help and
indulgence.
Shalom,
Bill Tessore
billtessore@gmail.com
I can be contacted here or off site at Sent from my iPhone

Randy Meyer

Shai:

That is great news. Now, I just need to find out from VFO or Elita if I should download Jaws 2018 to my ElBraille. Thank you for the update on this.

Randy Meyer