Problem trying to repair Jaws 18 before upgrading to V 2018

Cristóbal

Hello list,

So, I’ve been dealing with this issue since Jaws 18 was put out on 9/26/17. Along with the Outlook address thing that later got fixed, I was having trouble when replying or forwarding message in Outlook. Arrowing down was not possible. Jaws would behave as though I was at the bottom of the screen. Even if I arrowed up once and then tried going back down to the line I was previously at, I’d encounter that same barrier. Navigating the message body of text with the read by paragraph or sentence commands, Jaws worked as always. It was just the read/navigate by line that was giving me problems.

VFO tech support emailed me instructing that I should try doing a Jaws repair. Do the copy path from my JFW .exe file and add the / type repair at the end in the run dialog box.

As I saw that Jaws 2018 came out today, I figured I’d try to get this resolved. I for one reason or another hadn’t had the chance to go through with the repair, but figured I should try addressing it before upgrading to JFW 2018.

In any event, I went through the repair process earlier today and along with all the other typical Jaws chatter when doing an installation (I was using a JFW.exe file from October that addressed the Outlook issue), I heard Jaws say something about a sentinel system driver not being copied. By the end of the process I then got the following error message:

The JAWS setup package could not install the required component

JAWSRepair.  The process will now exit.

OK

I already wrote VFO back about this, but as it’s Jaws 2018 release day, I don’t expect a follow up any time soon as I’m sure they’ll be dealing with all sorts of stuff related to that.

Anyone have an idea on what this is or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Cristobal

david

hello;

not sure on what may have happened,
however, I would try,

1, just enter on the executable, and then choose repair, and see if that
works, or, perhaps, just do a uninstall, and try reinstalling.
the jaws, sentinel system driver should already be installed. perhaps this
is why heard the prompt.

[...]

John Covici

I had to do a repair which went through but did not fix my problems.
Vfo told me to uninstall including shared components which will make
things not work and to immediately install the same version.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:36:00 -0400,
Cristóbal wrote:

[1 <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

david

oh, no, no, no,
I wouldn't remove shared components,
especially if you have another jaws version on the system.

Cristóbal wrote:

[...]

netbat66

this also applies if you have open book. or most other f/s products.

Crist�bal wrote:

[...]

Why not just install Jaws 2018, I would say at this point to set it up from scratch and not merge your settings when asked just so you get the best possible experience which is not effected by possibly some problem in your user settings.

Jaws 2018 does not require you to repair Jaws 18, in fact you could completely uninstall Jaws 18 and it would make no difference to Jaws 2018.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Well… SO I first went back and clicked on the last October JFW .exe file I had and the prompt of Jaws made changes to your computer. Restart for changes to take affect etc. Came up. I thought… … … cool maybe it’ll work after all. The PC restarted and I got the notification to modify/repair of which I selected repair. I let it do its thing. Pressed the various OK buttons and after it restarted again… … … the same reply/forward bug appeared.

So I figured, I’ll go ahead and just install the new JFW 2018 released today and as was suggested, not migrate any settings. Did the whole song and dance. Restarted the machine. Went through the startup wizard and… … … Low-and-behold, I’ve got the reply/forward bug on this new JFW version as well.

This is the only real issue I’m encountering. And on this one machine. JFW 2018 on my HP Envy laptop is working perfectly fine. At least not getting that reply/forward bug on it. Unfortunately, this is a rather noticeable bug and present on my main work desktop. Both running Office 2016/Windows 10.

I guess I’ll have to try uninstalling and reinstalling next. That will have to be with more time though.

I think someone on one of these lists said to also try removing shared components. I don’t think I want to do that… I don’t recall at the moment, but does removing shared components mean you’ll then need an activation key? I’m fairly certain that I’m currently at zero keys.

Anyway, something to worry about for tomorrow.

[...]

Nermin

Hi Cristobal,

removingshared components won’t affect your key.
Coming in a bit late on this, but what’ the error you’re getting?

[...]

it might if you have other f/s programs like openbook or the magnifier.

[...]

could this be an entry in the graphic dictionary?

[...]

have you tried running the setup with jaws unloaded?
it may be that it couldn't install the drivers or files because they were still in use.
i use n v d a when i install jaws. it hasn't caused any crashes yet. grin.

Crist��bal wrote:

[...]

is this when just useing the down arrow key on the number pad?
when i press it in a wlm message i am also put at the bottom of file. i can not arrow down one line at a time.
i'm getting close. grin
if this is happening its the default.jkm (jaws keyboard manager.
i went into the jaws/18.0/settings/enu folder and renamed it to 1default.jkm . (do not delete it) so jaws can't find the file. once i did this the problem went away.
then you can rename it back.
so there is some setting in the default keyboard manager script thats causeing the problem. but who knows which setting it is. grin.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

As netbat said, you could always go into the settings/enu folder, rename the default.jkm file to something else. Then copy the default.jkm file from the machine that works to the work desktop computers settings/enu folder. If it doesn’t work, all you would need to do is delete the copied file and rename the old copy of default.jkm back to that filename from the one you chose as the renamed file.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...