Interesting Icon Issue After Updating To Jaws 18.0.4350

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I just updated my Jaws 18 here to the latest Jaws 18 build—version 18.0.4350.

On my desktop, I now have two Jaws icons.  One simply says Jaws, and the other says Jaws 18.0.

Is this normal?

If I wanted to eliminate one of these icons, which one would it be, or should I just leave well enough alone?

I am using Windows 7 here on a Dell Lattitude laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Michael Mote

Hi tom!  What happens when you click on each of the Icons.  Are you taken to the JAWS window?  If so, you should be able to delete either one, and the other will work for you.

I just updated my Jaws 18 here to the latest Jaws 18 build—version 18.0.4350.

On my desktop, I now have two Jaws icons.  One simply says Jaws, and the other says Jaws 18.0.

Is this normal?

If I wanted to eliminate one of these icons, which one would it be, or should I just leave well enough alone?

I am using Windows 7 here on a Dell Lattitude laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Yes, Mike.

When I click on either Icon, the normal Jaws window comes up.

I just deleted one of the Icons, and Jaws still comes up via  the usual Alt Control J. short-cut, so I think I’m now all set.

Thanks for the quick response.

Tom Behler

Hi tom!  What happens when you click on each of the Icons.  Are you taken to the JAWS window?  If so, you should be able to delete either one, and the other will work for you.

I just updated my Jaws 18 here to the latest Jaws 18 build—version 18.0.4350.

On my desktop, I now have two Jaws icons.  One simply says Jaws, and the other says Jaws 18.0.

Is this normal?

If I wanted to eliminate one of these icons, which one would it be, or should I just leave well enough alone?

I am using Windows 7 here on a Dell Lattitude laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

netbat66

open a context menu on each then click properties and see what the path is to the executable file.
if they are the same i would delete the jaws icon.
you probibly created or renamed the old icon so jaws created a new one with the correct name. jaws 18.0
also with the jaws 18.0 you will have to add your own shortcut key, control alt j because the installation does not put shortcuts in the new icons.

I just updated my Jaws 18 here to the latest Jaws 18 build—version 18.0.4350.

On my desktop, I now have two Jaws icons. One simply says Jaws, and the other says Jaws 18.0.

Is this normal?

If I wanted to eliminate one of these icons, which one would it be, or should I just leave well enough alone?

I am using Windows 7 here on a Dell Lattitude laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

I did just what you said.

I eliminated the Jaws Icon, and kept the Jaws 18.0 Icon.

I did have to re-create my alt control J. shortcut, but that was no problem.

So, I'm all set now.

Thanks much!

Tom Behler